• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Javi Claw (General Fox controller playstyles)

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
My controller style is like:
left thumb- control stick
left index- L
right index- B/ c-stick
right middle- Y/A
right ring- Z

only with fox though because he is the only character technically demanding enough to make good use of claw.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
Lemme know when you can do reverse SHDL's with control stick. You know, the useful ones.
Like lovage / zolar said, very easy imo once you get used to it. I think all Fox mains should try to learn shield pressure with up (as opposed to y/x). Much faster imo.

edit: and i use L for everything, including wd oos. sometimes i use R for rolling from the ledge idk why lol
I sometimes use R / cstick to roll onto the stage... I think it's cause I'm scared I"ll accidentally try to waveland / boback.

Someone told me that the sdi input / L timing for ledgetechs is different so I switched to R because I absolutely cannot make my left hand do two different things at once lol. Anyone else have that? (I saw much higher ledge tech success once I switched to R...)

Again I strongly recommend people who have trouble with shield pressure to try short hopping out of shine with up. Made a hugeeeeeee difference for me (for Fox and Falco).

Bones0

Smash Legend
The SDI needs to be inputted during hitlag, whereas you want to input the tech before you get hit. So you should go:
1. Up-B
2. Press L right before they attack
3. SDI the hit towards the stage

I personally like teching and SDIing with the same hand because it makes the timing feel easier. My left hand has just developed muscle memory for the timing of when to tech and how long after that I should SDI. With two hands it would feel too hard to get a consistent timing of the SDI. I could see how some people would prefer using a hand for each input though. As far as shield pressuring goes, I can JC fast enough with Y, but I can imagine X being more of an issue.

Tero.

Smash Champion
So I've just got hands on a new controller and as usual it felt really weird. So I decided to try clawing.

I was using thumb for c/a/b index for y middle for z and ring for r
After playing for a few minutes (like 20minutes yesterday and 30min the day before) i felt really stupid switching back to my old position and only using both thumbs right index, lol.
(3 fingers opposed to 6 when clawing)

So I might keep on clawing. Problem is: I can't do ****!
I used to be pretty technical before (like waveshines oos) and now i can't Even do wavedashes lol.
Question: what do you use R and L for (especially shai since you're playing the same claw version as me)?

I used to use R for everything (ocasionally shielding with L) but now it feels like using L for techs and wavedash would be good to relieve my right hand (shielding with R for better wd oos)

:phone:

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
So I've just got hands on a new controller and as usual it felt really weird. So I decided to try clawing.

I was using thumb for c/a/b index for y middle for z and ring for r
After playing for a few minutes (like 20minutes yesterday and 30min the day before) i felt really stupid switching back to my old position and only using both thumbs right index, lol.
(3 fingers opposed to 6 when clawing)

So I might keep on clawing. Problem is: I can't do ****!
I used to be pretty technical before (like waveshines oos) and now i can't Even do wavedashes lol.
Question: what do you use R and L for (especially shai since you're playing the same claw version as me)?

I used to use R for everything (ocasionally shielding with L) but now it feels like using L for techs and wavedash would be good to relieve my right hand (shielding with R for better wd oos)

:phone:
I use L for everything except WD OoS... I don't know how anyone could use R for wavedashing or wavelanding... especially waveshes. R is so much more difficult for me.

I use a standard claw grip. Thumb for C-stick/A/B, index for Y and middle finger for Z/R. I find that this gives me greater control over arials (C-stick), where I can DI in the opposite direction without compromising momentum. Also, multishines/waveshines are easier, as I don't have to move my thumb between Y and B.

Like any claw user, I sucked at the beginning. But once I got the hang of it, my tech skill went through the roof.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I use L for everything except WD OoS... I don't know how anyone could use R for wavedashing or wavelanding... especially waveshes. R is so much more difficult for me.

I use a standard claw grip. Thumb for C-stick/A/B, index for Y and middle finger for Z/R. I find that this gives me greater control over arials (C-stick), where I can DI in the opposite direction without compromising momentum. Also, multishines/waveshines are easier, as I don't have to move my thumb between Y and B.

Like any claw user, I sucked at the beginning. But once I got the hang of it, my tech skill went through the roof.
I've been playing Claw only for like 2 months now and I'm really starting to get super technical.
My SHFFLs have never been so fast and consistent before.

FUKC YEA!

Edit: What I do now is Index for jumping (Y)
thumb for A, B and C stick
middle on Z
ring on R for Shielding
and Wavedashing with L (removed spring)

Top Bottom