• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan's Drum Master- Don-chan for Smash. Localization Inbound!

Sirkeuro

Smash Rookie
Welp. After thinking things through. I'd hate to say that Donny boy's inexplictly deconfirmed. Somewhere in an interview, Sakurai stated that characters have to be well known everywhere else. Taiko is hardly even that popular. relatively Popular in japan, sure but it never had caught on anywhere else no matter how much it tried. Taiko switch wasn't really that great either, neither did it sell that well after its first week. I thought he'd definitely get in but it pointed out to him just being a simple little head on a taunt still, as much as I couldn't find the head anywhere when I watch smash. In the end, america, and any country that isn't Japan thinks the taunt is just some yokai watch reference. I'll still support but not as much as I used to.
Jeez, I'm sad it didn't sell well. Because that also lowers the chance of the game continuing to be localized.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Jeez, I'm sad it didn't sell well. Because that also lowers the chance of the game continuing to be localized.
It sold nicely on it's first week being high on the top 20s.But it dropped badly afterwards. I think it's only obstacle of not being localized is the music copyrights. Not so much of sales or anything. I'm sure you remember the PS2 version replacing most of the japanese songs with really dumb songs like Jimmy neutron and I like it or whatever the song's name was. I'm sure if it keeps going we'd start having stuff like What the Fox say and Bood Up

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It sold nicely on it's first week being high on the top 20s.But it dropped badly afterwards. I think it's only obstacle of not being localized is the music copyrights. Not so much of sales or anything. I'm sure you remember the PS2 version replacing most of the japanese songs with really dumb songs like Jimmy neutron and I like it or whatever the song's name was. I'm sure if it keeps going we'd start having stuff like What the Fox say and Bood Up
That's the biggest obstacle. I mean, consider how Barbara the Bat's Daigasso Band Brothers series only ever had a Western release in Europe due to music rights, and even then they couldn't get all of the songs.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
That's the biggest obstacle. I mean, consider how Barbara the Bat's Daigasso Band Brothers series only ever had a Western release in Europe due to music rights, and even then they couldn't get all of the songs.
Pretty much the big obstacle with games that rely on copyrighted songs. I think if Taiko were to just release the songs with only Namco originals in the west all these years, it MIGHT of caught on. I think DDR did well on keeping most of it original with somecopyright here and there.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for sticking my lying and hopeful face into the boards again but... do you think since Sakurai loved being in the Arcades as shown when he presented Terry that he could still or was at the arcades in the early 2000's? I think him possibly knowing the little guy is enough for him to be possible for 2nd pass at this point

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, yesterday Bandai-Namco released their Happy New Year image.

I thought it was interesting to look at it and consider Bamco's "faces" that they chose to highlight in this cute art. I posted it in a Discord chat I'm in and got to talking. Anyway, a few ****posty conversations later, I realized that Don-chan would be great in Smash! I'm actually going to pick up Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch on my next paycheck, and it turns out that my partner is a big fan of the series and I never knew! Huh. Anyway, I'm all for Don-chan now!

This is the song I'd want to hear if he got in. It slaps. Also, I think his stage would be beautiful no matter what but I really love what they did with his Mario Kart Arcade GP course. The colors really pop.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, yesterday Bandai-Namco released their Happy New Year image.

I thought it was interesting to look at it and consider Bamco's "faces" that they chose to highlight in this cute art. I posted it in a Discord chat I'm in and got to talking. Anyway, a few ****posty conversations later, I realized that Don-chan would be great in Smash! I'm actually going to pick up Taiko no Tatsujin for Switch on my next paycheck, and it turns out that my partner is a big fan of the series and I never knew! Huh. Anyway, I'm all for Don-chan now!

This is the song I'd want to hear if he got in. It slaps. Also, I think his stage would be beautiful no matter what but I really love what they did with his Mario Kart Arcade GP course. The colors really pop.
who are those three in front of the tekken guy?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
This funky little dude has quickly climbed up to being one of my favorite potential Namco characters (only tied with Klonoa). Taiko was the first game I ever imported for my Switch and I'm recently getting super into it. I think if we get any rhythm game rep, it should be this guy. The potential moveset here is surprisingly great.

Also the idea of a top tier Don-chan is greatly amusing to me, and a Taiko no Tatsujin stage would be an ingenious way to free the Namco songs from ms paint jail and let them play on something that looks nice rather than eye-gouging, to say nothing of the music that he would come with himself...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This funky little dude has quickly climbed up to being one of my favorite potential Namco characters (only tied with Klonoa). Taiko was the first game I ever imported for my Switch and I'm recently getting super into it.
i though it had world wide realise

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
You know what. We need a rep for Rythm games, and I cannot think of a better icon. It's out there, it's whacky, and it's cute as hell. Sign me up.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
When I spent a semester in Japan I played the arcade release religiously. I love Don-chan and would absolutely love to see him in Smash! I'm not sure how I feel about his chances necessarily, but he would be one of my top picks for sure.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
you know what

i like don-chan

he is a funny dude

i am ready to join the don-chan cult

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
He has more, I think. This is just the first time some are getting localized. One of them on the 3DS had Kirby and Touhou characters.

Pretty excited for this collection especially since you basically get a free Taiko no Tatsujin game with it.
im gonna give them a go too, i do enjoy an rpg i have no idea what touhou is

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly they look a bit childish, but hey it's more Taiko so I'm probably going to get that collection. I just hope that in the tracklist there's not too much that are the same from Drum n fun so I don't repeat too much the same stuff.

Oh and by the way while I'm here, if it's still possible add me on the supporter list! The more I'm thinking about it the more I want to see that cute little drum in Smash. I think he would fit perfectly. An idea that I have is if Donchan is playable, maybe we could have some music from Idolmaster, Tekken, Tales of and Ridge racer? Those games have some song in the Taiko game, and Pac-man stage already have a bunch of Namco arcade music, so might as well do something similar with modern Namco games and Donchan.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Prince of All Cosmos supporter here, so technically I'm competition (though Pac Man taunt buddies!). Though I just got Drum n' Fun a week ago and I've been having a blast with it so far! and Don-chan is adorable!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread previously, but Donchan has always been one of my most wanted third party characters since they started introducing more. I've played just about all the Taiko DS games (their Japanese ones, not localized, if they even ever were) and most of the console ones. Haven't played the rereleased Switch RPGs one yet, but I liked the pseudo RPG ones that were on the DS back in the day.

I have no real idea how Donchan would play in Smash, but you know it'd be zany and colorful and fun, all things I stand behind!

Edit: Oh! I did post in this thread before, haha. Either way, I'm still a huge fan and hope that someday, maybe even soon, we see Taiko representation in Smash!

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So tomorrow we will see the next fighter in the fighter pass. In early February, Namco announced a Taiko no tatsujin stream for the 20th anniversary that will happen this month. I normally don't pay too much attention to events close to a Smash announcement, but since Namco is developping Smash perhaps they could hype the live stream and the announcement with Smash bros. They did it in the past with Steve and Minecon.

To be fair there's a lot of Namco characters that they could chose before Donchan, but I find it interesting that the Taiko stream is this month with no dates. Perhaps they want to do it after a Sakurai presents.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So tomorrow we will see the next fighter in the fighter pass. In early February, Namco announced a Taiko no tatsujin stream for the 20th anniversary that will happen this month. I normally don't pay too much attention to events close to a Smash announcement, but since Namco is developping Smash perhaps they could hype the live stream and the announcement with Smash bros. They did it in the past with Steve and Minecon.

To be fair there's a lot of Namco characters that they could chose before Donchan, but I find it interesting that the Taiko stream is this month with no dates. Perhaps they want to do it after a Sakurai presents.
I still have my fingers crossed that Namco wants to push for another of their franchises to make it in Smash, and while Tales is probably the forerunner, I could definitely see Taiko no Tatsujin getting a chance. Couple more characters with at least one of them probably being revealed in May or E3.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still have my fingers crossed that Namco wants to push for another of their franchises to make it in Smash, and while Tales is probably the forerunner, I could definitely see Taiko no Tatsujin getting a chance. Couple more characters with at least one of them probably being revealed in May or E3.
I agree, and also if Nintendo wants a character more popular in Japan (kind of like Dragon quest in the first pass), I could see them trying to add Taiko no tatsujin.

I wonder, does anyone have any moveset idea? I'm not sure how exactly he could play but I guess he could have some timing mechanics on some attacks.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I feel like he would be a pretty wacky character (personality wise) that captures the spirit of taiko. Probably would have something to do with timing / beat / rhythm, or could possibly tie in the drumstick noodle looking characters, the shiba inus, or the cats, maybe some kind of duck hunt-esque integration. There's plenty of Namco original songs that they could bring in, and really any sort of feudal Japan / matsuri stage like the ones in the background would fit. I'm positive that Sakurai could make a zany character that would be a blast to play. And costume wise I imagine there would be Don and Katsu, then either the Green / Yellow drum for 3P and 4P, or just 6 different costumed Don / Katsu.

I also understand if they decide to go with Bandai Namco if they were to go Tales, Soul Calibur, or even oldschool like Klonoa or DigDug, but of all of those franchises I'd be lying if I said my favorite wasn't Taiko. (I do really like Tales and SC though!)

Top Bottom