• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese taunt translated (corrected)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I have searched the forum and no such topic came.

When the language is switched to Japanese, Fox gains a new taunt (you already knew that).

I have always been curious as to what it translated to. I don't know any Japanese speakers well enough and I didn't want to bother the Japanese speakers here, so I took it upon myself to translate it. Although I do not speak or read Japanese, I intend to learn it sometime in the near future. For the translation, I have been using a Hiragana phonetics table and an online translator. <http://babelfish.altavista.com/> as well as audio clips from this Fox combo video -"Shined Blind"- in which the background music makes use of the Japanese taunt: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44CRrJVhUIo>

My results:

Rōmaji: Ka ta-te koi

Hiragana: か たて こい

direct English translation: "You build and are dense"

The only syllable I am not 100% certain of is the second one, namely the consonant. However, I have tried every probable variation of the syllable and I hold this translation to be the correct one as far as I know. Other variations of the phrase/syllables are about a lever. If a more studied Japanese speaker/reader would like to critique or correct me, by all means do.

Correction:

Rōmaji: Ka-ka-te-koi

Hiragana: かかてこい

direct English translation according to bablefish.alavista.com: "The lever it is,"
understandable English translation:
means 2 "come on" like youre about 2 fight / provoke, know what i mean? basically in this situation its like saying "lets get it on" or something
Thanks to blakanese for correcting my n00bish mistranslation :)

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
ahhh false =)

ka-ka-te-koi*

means 2 "come on" like youre about 2 fight / provoke, know what i mean? basically in this situation its like saying "lets get it on" or something
I knew I should have posted my alternate up there; even so, the not-so-great online translator translates "かかてこい" (ka-ka-te-koi) to "The lever it is,” The online translators work fine for Latin-based or Germanic languages fine, but Japanese always confounds. Even when translated it still sounds like another language. That’s one of the reasons I intend to actually study Japanese.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
lol yeah ka-ka-te-koi is said a lot in fighting games like dead or alive, soul calibur, etc.

and the subtitles always say something similar to "Come on!"

(tryin to self-teach myself here)

yung god

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4552 5065 3235
Thus is super late, but if anyone stumbles upon this, it's much like his English taunt "Come on!" I was watching Boku No Hero Academia and Deku said basically the same thing. The subtitles translated it to "Give me everything you've got!"

So it's basically the same as "Come on!" It's almost like he's provoking you

tskodje

Smash Rookie
The proper Romaji should be ka-ka-tte-koi!
In Japanese: かかってこい!

Daladex

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#1
Man, I wish we played this game with Japanese voices, I love Fox & Falco's Japanese taunt voice lines. On top of that, Mewtwo actually talks.

Top Bottom