• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

japan

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely be going to the Melee tournament in Tokyo on December 14th.

By the way, I created a Twitter profile for the sole purpose of tracking down smashers in Japan, and have found two Twitter pages where people seem to be very active with posting about smashfests and tournaments (this is only for the Kanto area, though, as I live about 2 hours from Tokyo). However, most of it is in Japanese. I've been studying Japanese since I arrived here (4 months ago) and with what basic Japanese I know plus help from this solid online Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionary http://beta.jisho.org/ as well as Google translator, I can understand the gist of everything people are posting.

Below are the Twitter pages.

関東スマブラDXオフ @kantou_ssbm

#スマブラDX_オフ会

The first one says, "Kantou Smash Brothers DX Off." The second page is, "Smash Brothers DX Off Meeting." In Japan, Super Smash Brothers DX is Melee. Super Smash Brothers X is Brawl. Someone with better Japanese correct me if I'm wrong: in Japanese, オフ literally means "off" and オフ会 literally means "off meeting." These are both short for "offline meeting," as in people who normally chat online meeting up face-to-face (offline). Essentially, オフ or オフ会 (おふかい), is a smashfest, so those words are crucial to finding events.

Also, as Okameed mentioned, Ayuha is a smasher who has a Twitter page and seems to at least read and write English well. But, he only plays Smash 4 and PM, according to his profile. Even though I only play Melee, I contacted him and he gave me some info (about the upcoming tournament and that first Twitter page above). So he's helpful.

Anyway, I think Twitter is the way to go, as Okameed said.

I'll post here if I learn of any fests or other tournaments.

Ok so. Kantou ssbm is Flash's (#1 in japan) twitter account. he follows me so i have been able to dm him and meet up. yeah オフ is a smashfest., and he should be doing one soon pre battle gateway!

Luckily so far Ive been able to have good convos with japanese players who run smashfests too so theres a couple other twitters which are good to look for.
For PM : @anjerokaito
For S4 : @nanaki_x

Ive met /hung out with both these guys too and they are great, although they cant speak any english .
Im in regular contact with kaito especially so if anyone is interested in a PM smashfest (amsa has come the last two times, though kaito is stronger) let me know and ill give details when i know them and be an interpreter for those who cant speak japanese.

cynistar

Smash Rookie
Hey. How's it going? I'm new to Smash, haven't even bought the game yet. I'm getting it at the end of the month.
I'm wondering if any of you guys are going to Jump Festa on Dec 20 -21. There's supposed to be a smash wii u tournament on one of those days. I'm planning on going with a buddy on the 21st to check out all the booths and try out the game. Would be cool to meet up if anyone else is going.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
man, I made this topic and haven't kept up with it lol. Ok, so after my buddy (poster above lol) and I attended the smash tourney, it compelled me to find more events in the Tokyo area. I will do some checking on the smash bbs page and attend for smash 4 and perhaps melee again.

Felt really good to play smash 4, but felt totally new to me since I've been playing melee the entire time lol.

theotheo

Smash Rookie
Hey, has anyone been able to get a GC adapter for the wii u yet? I`ve been all over Chiba and Tokyo looking for one, but they`ve been sold out consistently since launch day. Anyone have any luck?

Also the next Umebura has been announced people!
UMEBURA 12
11 Feb 2015
Ichikawa Cultural Center (市川文化会館)

Sign ups will presumably start soon, will update when there is a date for sign ups starting. This is a Smash Wii U event and like always has a large number of people entering with spaces going fast. The system of seeding pools usually means you get at least 4 games or so before you get seeded and put into a double elim based on how you did. This might be different now with the wii U events but cause i was back in the UK I missed the last one. I'm definitely going to be there so be good to see anyone that can make it.

ProudDisciple

Smash Rookie
Hey guys Im just getting into Smash with the newest release and am located at Yokota Air Base near Fussa and Tachikawa. Hoping to find people to meet up and/or play online since the netcode is actually pretty good.

Im not very good but and always looking to learn and gain knowledge to help me develop. My son also plays and is very competitive in nature, so I hope to pass on what ever I learn to him.

I hope to find people that play Smash 4 since thats really all we play. Based on my work schedule I would primarily be available on Fridays and Saturdays.

I play Mega Man and Duck Hunt.

Look forward to meeting you soon!

Last edited:

theotheo

Smash Rookie
Also the next Umebura has been announced people!
UMEBURA 12
11 Feb 2015
Ichikawa Cultural Center (市川文化会館)

Sign ups will presumably start soon, will update when there is a date for sign ups starting. This is a Smash Wii U event and like always has a large number of people entering with spaces going fast. The system of seeding pools usually means you get at least 4 games or so before you get seeded and put into a double elim based on how you did. This might be different now with the wii U events but cause i was back in the UK I missed the last one. I'm definitely going to be there so be good to see anyone that can make it.
Sweet! If you get any more details, please share! I live in the area and have the day off so I REALLY want to attend.
Thanks again!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
I'll be there most likely too Omeed. I saw your t.link on stream man, real solid stuff.
I'll keep a look out on the piosuma blog as well and see when entries begin.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hmm, well I am off on Sunday and Monday and Nakano Sakaue is fairly close to my place!

Did they say what time? I messaged Nananki, but in case he doesnt reply, what are the details?

Last edited:
Hey yeah so in Japan its called オフ (offline meet) Just in case he misunderstands. In his earlier tweets he advertises them but theres limited spaces. Normally people sign up through the website he posts, but I couldn't work it out so I just asked him if I could come lol. Basically he has to reply as he confirms who is coming to his house through this sign up website and you can't just turn up. I'm not sure when I'm going but last time I went around midday and left at like 10pm. Im pretty sure people literally stay over all weekend but I'm not sure. I'm going home on saturday and coming back on Sunday

Last edited:

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Welp, this thread seems like my best option at this moment.

I do not currently live in Japan, but I will be visiting there next week as a birthday trip(yeah turning 16 is awesome). Though it's not a huge priority on my list of things to do in Japan, I became curious to see if there's any Smash events/tourneys next week that I could possibly attend. Only thing really holding me back from actually following through is my lack of speaking and reading Japanese(which is my fault for not practicing like a madman for the past few weeks) so I wouldn't mind finding one that be "foriegner friendly" if that makes any sense.

I'm probably going to be in Tokyo(I honestly have no idea where I'm gonna be at first) so anywhere around there that anyone knows of tournament going down there I'd like to know.

There are no tournaments in tokyo next week that i know of and I have been keeping up to date with anything being posted. Sorry about that man. Best thing to do would be to just enjoy your birthday, more worth your while to see as much of the many things in tokyo as you can

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Eh, no problem. I was just mostly curious about how a Smash tournament goes down in Japan compared to here in the States(kinda weird of me xD) so that's why I decided to check around to find one.

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Oh Aiba invited me over to his house for smash this weekend also lol. Not sure what I want to do lol. It is a little far from where I am, but I'm more closer to Aiba and Ninomiya than the other players, so I'll see how I feel on the weekend.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Welp, this thread seems like my best option at this moment.

I do not currently live in Japan, but I will be visiting there next week as a birthday trip(yeah turning 16 is awesome). Though it's not a huge priority on my list of things to do in Japan, I became curious to see if there's any Smash events/tourneys next week that I could possibly attend. Only thing really holding me back from actually following through is my lack of speaking and reading Japanese(which is my fault for not practicing like a madman for the past few weeks) so I wouldn't mind finding one that be "foriegner friendly" if that makes any sense.

I'm probably going to be in Tokyo(I honestly have no idea where I'm gonna be at first) so anywhere around there that anyone knows of tournament going down there I'd like to know.
Wtf I didn't get to go to Japan on my 16th birthday this is bs

Okay Further details on UMEBURA 12. Here is the event: http://piosuma.blog.jp/archives/20820450.html
-
Like I've said before, It is probably best to sign up early as places go fast! I will post the link to sign ups on the day as well but you can access the application page from the bottom of the link provided after the 22nd.

The tournament opens at 9:30am on the 8th FEB and is capped at 104 people.
Entry is 1000 yen
Location is as stated before but here are the details to put into google maps:
東京都 葛飾区 新小岩北地区センター
(東京都葛飾区東新小岩6-21-1)

Hope to see you there!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
ahhhh you know what, I think Aiba signed up for me hahaha. I removed mine and just kept aibas. He put me as american though (URRG lol) Im Canadian

Last edited:

Haaaaadoken

Smash Cadet
Is there much of a scene around Beppu? I might be going to school there next year and would also like to play some smash~!~!

Top Bottom