• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan tier list post 1.04

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The problem I have with the ease of use argument is that it's not objective in the slightest, for the most part.
Except it is, at the very least in the slightest.

Characters can be quantified and the methods used within can be assigned a difficulty, albeit loose ones.

The fact diddy converts grabs into both damage, AND kills makes him a rather simple character.

Yoshi however has his strength in the options available to him. Punishing a shield with egg lay (demanding b-reversing and wavebouncing for maximum useage) a roll/spotdodge with dair, and reading/punishing aerial trajectories with egg toss and aerials. His aerial movement, recovery, and mechanics on his second jump are also very specific to him and not something players can intuitively understand and utilize since it lacks overlap with other characters.

To clarify though, my formula of "popularity + ease of use + viability" doesn't mean a currently considered top tier character is easy to use. Just that their ease of use for the COMPETITIVE ENVIRONMENT IS a factor. Be it hard, easy, or average.

Last edited:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see anything wrong with this list. People need to realize that low tier =/= unusable/nonviable. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that in the future, someone could start winning tournaments with say...Ganondorf.
However, I do believe that top-tier characters tend to win the most tournaments (they're top tier for a reason), due to one or more of the following:

-A strong moveset

-Large number of positive matchups

-Advanced metagame due to lots of players investing time into them

PS: If you want to prove to the world that your beloved (insert main here) isn't garbage tier, start winning.

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see anything wrong with this list. People need to realize that low tier =/= unusable/nonviable. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that in the future, someone could start winning tournaments with say...Ganondorf.
However, I do believe that top-tier characters tend to win the most tournaments (they're top tier for a reason), due to one or more of the following:

-A strong moveset

-Large number of positive matchups

-Advanced metagame due to lots of players investing time into them

tl:dr If you want to prove to the world that your beloved (insert main here) isn't garbage tier, win some tournaments plz.

Top Bottom