• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan tier list post 1.04

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'm just glad I never pay attention to tier lists; I always play the characters I enjoy and whose playstyle I have fun with.

Most of my mains are usually mid-low tier anyway. I can't wait to go to Melee tournaments this summer playing Yoshi, and hopefully Smash 4 tournaments playing Iggy/Shulk/Falcon

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
I think shulk should be higher just based on the different strategies you can do with him. Why is there so much C and D class it feels like a lot of the cast wouldn't get picked this way.

I'm surprised Mii's are on it at all maybe I expected online tournaments, waste of a A rank tho.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I'm just glad I never pay attention to tier lists; I always play the characters I enjoy and whose playstyle I have fun with.

Most of my mains are usually mid-low tier anyway. I can't wait to go to Melee tournaments this summer playing Yoshi, and hopefully Smash 4 tournaments playing Iggy/Shulk/Falcon
This is exactly how I am, I don't care what tier King Dedede is in this game because I just have too much fun playing him, so he's always gonna be my main, and I would use him if I ever went to a tournament. I also really loved using Cpt. Falcon in Brawl, even though everyone said he was bad.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
This is exactly how I am, I don't care what tier King Dedede is in this game because I just have too much fun playing him, so he's always gonna be my main, and I would use him if I ever went to a tournament. I also really loved using Cpt. Falcon in Brawl, even though everyone said he was bad.
It's actually amusing when I tell people that I main Yoshi in Melee, and then when they laugh at me for playing "such a garbage low-tier", I challenge them to a 1v1 and usually demolish them.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I think we need a bit more time to have something a bit more solid...

I kinda feel like Shulk should be higher, but I'll let the Shulk mains demonstrate that.
THIS VIDEO MADE MY DAY!

And is kinda way too early for tier list.

Im really getting tired but I gonna say this.

Olimar is NOT Low tier, Im find is true potential of it, and Olimar can be really be a treat to fear of. Especially is Smash attack, are really powerful.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Dark pit cannot direct arrows and Pit can thats where the main difference is.
There are other differences like side b for Dark pit knocking foes more horizontal while Pit's upper dash knocks vertical.
Overall dark pit is a worse pit.
I was saying that they were mostly identical. Out of all of their regular attacks and special moves, only three are different: the side tilt, the side special move, and the neutral special move. It's strange that both of them are in separate tiers.

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
Once again... Falco is placed as low tier... Do people even bother to play as him and adapt to his new game plan?
Its not about adapting, he is awful with his new game plan. He cant deal with a lot of top tiers and he isnt very good at anything (not good zoning, not good KO tools, terrible grab range, ...)

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I was saying that they were mostly identical. Out of all of their regular attacks and special moves, only three are different: the side tilt, the side special move, and the neutral special move. It's strange that both of them are in separate tiers.
They're in separate tiers because one is better than the other. o_O
I agree with any placement where Pit is a tier above dark Pit because the arrow really does make him that much better.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
THIS VIDEO MADE MY DAY!

And is kinda way too early for tier list.

Im really getting tired but I gonna say this.

Olimar is NOT Low tier, Im find is true potential of it, and Olimar can be really be a treat to fear of. Especially is Smash attack, are really powerful.
Hahaha, thanks.

I also use Olimar myself, and i can agree from experience he isn't bad character, not in the slightest.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Early tier lists are essentially popularity + ease of use + actual competitive viability. It's unavoidable but necessary for finding a starting point to refine.
Only the latter of those three are especially difficult to discern, so please weigh tier placings against these other factors for more accurate representations.

Diddy, Sheik, and Fox are all popular, simple characters who have undeniable viability. Sonic to a lesser extent in the ease of use department, higher extent in popularity.

Yoshi however is a surprise, he's mostly popularity + viability. He is hardly easy.

Unfortunately, this means popular, simple characters like falcon, little mac, mario, and greninja may have accurate placings too.

Does japan have customs allowed or just miis?

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Just like a lot of people said before me...

It's too goshdarn early to start this.

This tier is ridiculous
This thread is ridiculous
The Japanese are ridiculous

but we luuuv them

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Pit is much better than Dark Pit with some attacks(I read especially a tilt), besides Dark Pit has really ugly eyeliner and looks like an emo girl or somethin.
plus he looks Mexican, even his theme sounds Mexican, I guess the Mexicans even crossed the boarders to the SSB4 :denzel:

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
This seems really arbitrary.
Are they going off of tournies?
If so that makes even less sense.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised to see Rosalina and Luma go down a bit. I honestly find her to be stronger than some of those top tier characters. But this is only my opinion. Cant really argue with Diddy's placement though. That down-throw and up-aerial combo is killer... Oh well, I'll be rocking King Dedede, hammer style. I don't need no list to tell me which character I should be playing as. Dedede and Bowser all the way for me!

Last edited:

Kerokuu Kappa

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3539-8838-3028
I don't understand why Swordfighter's the worst.
Not that I'm butthurt about it, though.

WaluigiWeegeeSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
NewerLuigi
3DS FC
1934-0873-4422
Falcon a mere mid tier? HA.
Ike and Link bottom tier characters? HA HA.
Diddy the best? Unfortunately and painfully true.
I honestly could not get behind Japan's reasoning if I tried.

Genuine_Angus_B33F

Smash Rookie
Ok, because it seems so much of this is "x should be in y", I'm just going to make a big list of opinions.
Too High
Wario- C
Yoshi- A- (and this is a Yoshi main)
Mii Brawler- A-/B
Mii Gunner- D
Too Low
Rosalina- A-
Zelda- D
Robin- C
Bowser Jr- C
Shulk- C
Characters I disagree with moving, despite others complaints.
-Samus- Laggy movepool, slow and easy to punish roll, weaker with platforms, as charge shot loses its pressure.
Lucina/Marth- Laggy Aerials, Poor Recovery, no true combos and loss of grab game from Brawl. I'm sure many are good with them, but they will fall quickly once New techs for other characters are found.
-Link- here is the big one. Link is probably the most used character on For Glory, and he does do well there. Why? Because no one can edgeguard! Link has one of the worst recoverys in the game, and no one even tries to just walk off stage and hit him with anything. His zoning game is weak, because if you can react to the arrows and bombs while approaching, your good. I do think he is E tier, until someone find an amazing tech with him.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Early tier lists are essentially popularity + ease of use + actual competitive viability. It's unavoidable but necessary for finding a starting point to refine.

The problem I have with the ease of use argument is that it's not objective in the slightest, for the most part.

Sure, there are some characters who are undeniably easy to use. Mario, Kirby, and Lucina are the three biggest culprits there, in my opinion.

However, beyond that, it's pretty much entirely subjective.

For example, you say Yoshi is not easy to use, but as someone who uses him as part of my "main 5", I disagree. I find him incredibly easy to use. Everything about his playstyle clicks pretty well for me, and I got good with him quickly. He's not my best, but I enjoy playing as him and I do well with him most of the time. And it pretty much took an hour of experimentation for me to decide "OK I think I can use this character pretty well, he seems simple enough for me. Let me see how far I can take that".

Similarly, Sheik and Fox may seem easy enough to use at first glance, but many players may just struggle with the sheer dexterity required to use them to a higher degree.

And while she is my first main and therefore the character I have most clicked with, I disagree with anyone who says Rosalina is easy to use in comparison to other characters, definitely not if you wanna use her at a higher level of play. Keeping track of two characters at once is complicated enough at a basic level, but trying to use that to create combos, form smart strategies, or to pull off the various ATs exclusive to the character is going to take quite a bit of practice for most, and is not gonna be accomplished overnight. I just got lucky in that the character clicked with me so I came to understand how she works more than some other people.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
-Link- here is the big one. Link is probably the most used character on For Glory, and he does do well there. Why? Because no one can edgeguard! Link has one of the worst recoverys in the game, and no one even tries to just walk off stage and hit him with anything. His zoning game is weak, because if you can react to the arrows and bombs while approaching, your good. I do think he is E tier, until someone find an amazing tech with him.
i agree with you but not on link. sure 4glory is bad but if you faced a really skilled one you'd have trouble. it's like toon link with more power but bigger

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Why is Dr. Mario so low.
Sure, he's slow, and his recovery is bad...
But i think Dr. Mario is pretty strong, and i can makea lot of combos with him.
I'd say he deserves to be over Mario, or atleast in the D rank instead of E.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Why is Dr. Mario so low.
Sure, he's slow, and his recovery is bad...
But i think Dr. Mario is pretty strong, and i can makea lot of combos with him.
I'd say he deserves to be over Mario, or atleast in the D rank instead of E.
face the truth

i main a low tier too but my low tier is still not as low as Dr. Mario

D

Deleted member

Some of this tier list is really questionable. Personally, I don't agree with where they placed Pikachu. I'm sure Greninja is capable of much more. Charizard, although I can understand why he would be placed low, he definitely has potential if used properly. Jigglypuff, do not agree with that at all.

Top Bottom