• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan tier list post 1.04

elmike

Smash Apprentice
Hours before the release of the wiiU version, japan posted a new tier list for the 3ds, after the 1.04 patches.
(i think it was done by shi-gaming, which is a very "respectable" smash group and tournament organizers in japan)

https://game8.jp/matome/16664

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Wow wario is alot higher up there than i thought anyone would put him, same with villager !

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Samus is definitely NOT that weak. I think all this discussion is way too early, and a reflection of player bias more than anything else.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
The top part looks decent but the rest is questionable...still too early for tier lists though.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
There haven't been enough tournament results in National tournaments for a tier list to even mean anything besides speculation

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wario and Villager are oddballs to place that high, and I'd perhaps throw Mii Brawler a few places down too, but aside from that I actually find their top picks very agreeable. I'd probably not give Diddy his own seperate tier either, he's not quite as dominant as Ice Climbers were in Brawl, but it doesn't matter a whole lot I guess, as it is he's definitely the best.

As we go further down the list I do have many more questions to ask though. I guess a lot of it is merely a result of many of these characters being underplayed and thus not having shown their full potential yet (Samus, Charizard, Link, Robin, etc), but I do think Marth, Lucina and Ganondorf have proven themselves to at least not be rock bottom, and while I do agree that Dr. Mario is worse than Mario the gap seems a tad too large. The distance between Pit and Dark Pit is also very odd, they're barely different and yet they're so many places apart.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I don't think that the Mii Swordfighter is the worst character in the game. Also, for some reason, Pit and Dark Pit are in different tiers despite being mostly identical.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
This is beyond stupid, wow.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
I'm sorry, I must have missed something. Is there some kind of tech/combo/buff that makes :4diddy: S tier that I don't know about?
Who in the right mind would put Ike above Marth?
I know I would. On the other hand, nobody is sure about my sanity, so...
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Overall, I highly doubt that this is a serious tier list.
This is beyond stupid, wow.
You said it, KoM.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Got to keep in mind this is the Japanese metagame we're talking here, which tends to have slightly different results due to the different rulesets and mentalities. For those that live in PAL or NTSC regions, it's not going to be 100% accurate. However, it does give us a loose idea on where we'll end up on for other locations.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
  • Rosalina being 10th
  • Pit/Dark Pit being a whole tier apart
  • Pits location
  • WFT, Toon Link, Ike above Link
  • Diddy being S tier so soon
I didn't know it was April 1st today.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Mii Brawler almost on top and Swordsman in the bottom: Well, like Doc Louis said: "The Fist is mightier than the Sword"

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think we need a bit more time to have something a bit more solid...

I kinda feel like Shulk should be higher, but I'll let the Shulk mains demonstrate that.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Who in the right mind would put Ike above Marth?
Yaoi fangirls; top and bottom. :p

... Once again... Falco is placed as low tier... Do people even bother to play as him and adapt to his new game plan? Same thing with Meta Knight. I guess we know who's Batman and who's Nightwing. They're the night and they're going to haunt you all in the next tier list(s).

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Guys, you know that this list was created by a total of 11 people, right? It says so in the article. Of course it's going to be off in the lower ranks that they don't pay enough attention to.

D

Deleted member 269706

warionumbah2

Smash Master
  • Rosalina being 10th
  • Pit/Dark Pit being a whole tier apart
  • Pits location
  • WFT, Toon Link, Ike above Link
  • Diddy being S tier so soon
I didn't know it was April 1st today.
Pit is better than Dark Pit. His arrows are horrible, 1% more damage or so at the cost of crappy control? And his electro shock arm being overall weaker than Pits Upperdash.

The list seems to be following Japan(Most probably national) tournament results so Diddy being S makes sense.

Last edited:

EsYosh

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashYoshi
Can't say anything about this yet, who knows what will happen? However I seriously don't believe Diddy deserves S - grade yet, no one does really. It's way too early for tiers and even earlier to pick out the best character in the game...

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
A quick translation of the most important parts of the article:

BASIC INFORMATION
The tier list was compiled based on votes by the 11 members of SHI-G.
Diddy received the full 11 S votes, and so is placed in S tier. Sheik had 4 S votes, and Mii Brawler had 2 S votes.
Ness had the largest jump from last tier list of +2.50 in average vote score. (A=10, B=8, C=7, D=6, E=5)
Luigi had the second largest jump of +2.10. There were even two members that voted him for A tier.
Villager had the third largest jump of +1.87.
Greninja had the largest drop of -2.07.
Marth had the second largest drop of -1.46 due to changes in the metagame.
Luigi and Ness had the largest average vote deviations at 1.40 and 1.02 respectively. (They both had strong results in recent tournaments, so peoples' opinions on them changed a lot)
The average vote deviation for the whole tier list was 0.50.
COMMENTS ON HOW SOME MEMBERS VOTED
9B: I put Diddy as the top and voted the top tiers according to how well they can counter Diddy or counter Diddy's counters. There seem to be a lot of mid-tier characters, so I'm looking forward to the effort that will be put in by their respective main.
Abadango: From my view all characters down to C rank have a chance to win tournaments, but anything D and below probably doesn't have a chance.
NOTES ON WHY THIS TIER LIST WAS CREATED
This tier list was created as the last tier list (1.04) for the 3DS version. It was felt that creating a new tier list was necessary due to the large amounts of changes made in the update.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This really shouldn't be taken too seriously. We'd need an international tier list to know who's really good and who's lackluster.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Ma boi Shulk is nowhere nearrrr D tho lol.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
As somebody who mains both angels, I understand why there's such a gap. But first, notice how the characters are positioned. There's tiers within tiers. Dark Pit isn't a tier and 13 characters below Pit, he's low C compared to Pit's low B.

Without going into depth, Pit and Dark Pit have all of three moves with any difference whatsoever. Basically...

Sspecial: Pit = Dark Pit (Favors Pit with platforms in play, just assuming)
Ftilt: Pit >>> Dark Pit
Nspecial: Pit >>>>>>> Dark Pit (Even with customs)

Realistically though, Dark Pit should be treated as a custom for Pit since there's basically nothing to learn going from one to the other. They should probably share a tier spot because of this.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Its funny that they moved Marth to the bottom of the list, considering the update's engine change made him better.

Silly Japan.

Also, for those who don't know- The update Broke Diddy. Honestly, he should be in SS tier.

And one more thing Ike and Lucina < Marth. In terms of raw matchup, Marth wins both easily. Japanese players must just not be interested in him.

Shog

Smash Ace
How is Shulk only D, he got much, much bettur.

Also it is sad that Charizard and Samus are so low...we need to find techs :p

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Most Zelda characters are very low but Shiek? Am I'm having deja vu?

Last edited:

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
This is a really flawed tierlist darkpit and pit are too far apart. Lucina and marth need to be higher maybe c or b. Ike needs to be higher same with shulk. DR. Mario needs to be higher as well as Ganondorf. Megaman needs to be slightly lower he is definitely in D tier. Link needs to be placed in B and toon link in D. Mario needs to be above Luigi he needs to be in B while luigi stays in c. Capn Falcon needs to be in B.

Shog

Smash Ace
Pit is much better than Dark Pit with some attacks(I read especially a tilt), besides Dark Pit has really ugly eyeliner and looks like an emo girl or somethin.

Top Bottom