• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 24, 2015] Cincinnati Smash Forever - SSBU/SSBM/SSBPM (Cincinnati, Ohio)

PiBs

Smash Journeyman

Now that the Cincinnati Facebook group has reached over 300 members, Cincinnati Smash has officially been revived. Marking a year since the start of my biweekly tournament series Cincinnati Smash Revival, I present a big tournament: Cincinnati Smash Forever. This will be a large one day event to host the players from all over the midwest. This tournament will features Smash 4 WiiU, Melee, and PM as the 3 main events. I hope to showcase Cincinnati's best and to see everyone from the Midwest here. Registration is done at the venue the day of the tournament.

Events:
Super Smash Brothers 4 WiiU Singles
Super Smash Brothers Melee Singles
Super Smash Brothers Project M 3.5 Singles
Gamecube Mystery Game Tournament

Date: January 24, 2015

Venue: Arcade Legacy
662 Cincinnati Mills Dr., Cincinnati, Ohio, 45240
http://arcadelegacyohio.com/

Arcade Legacy is an awesome place, your venue fee will go a far way here with all the sweet games, arcades, and more they have here.

Venue/Tournament Fees:
Venue: $10, $5 if you bring a full setup and it is needed (TV, Console, Game)
Smash 4 WiiU Singles $10
Smash Melee Singles $10
Smash PM 3.5 Singles $10
Gamecube Mystery Game Tournament $2

Payout:
1st: 50%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 15%
4th: 5%

Schedule:
10:30 Sign ups begin
12:00 Sign ups end
1:00 Singles pools wave 1 begins (all 3 games)
2:30 Singles pools wave 2 begins
4:00 Singles pools wave 3 begins
5:30 Break
~6:00 Mystery Game Tournament begins
6:00 Bracket Begins

Rules:
Project M 3.5 Rules

- 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
- Items OFF
- Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
- Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
- I shouldn't need to put this rule in but Giga Bowser is banned for tournament play
- Simultaneous suicides from moves like Ganondorf's Side-B or Kirby's Neutral B will results in the user winning
* In all best of 5 sets there is one stage ban
* All finals sets are best out of 5

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage

Stagelist: 2 Bans
Starters:
Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Fountain of Dreams
Counterpicks:
Final Destination, Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Story (Melee), Dreamland, Norfair, Lylat Cruise

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
Melee Rules
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is legal.
* Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* In all best of 5 sets there will be no stage bans

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist: 1 Ban
Singles -
Starters: Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dream Land, Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams
Counterpick: Pokemon Stadium

Doubles -
Starters: Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dream Land, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium
Counterpick: DonkeyKong 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
Smash 4 Wii U Rules
* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Custom Moves are allowed
* Custom Equipment is banned.
* If you need/want a custom move it is up to you to get it as quick as possible before the set starts. You cannot add in a new custom move set mid-set. Setups will come with the best we can provide custom move wise, but it is up to the players to put in the move sets themselves with a 3DS if they need them.
* Modified DSR: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* Best out of 5 sets will only have one ban

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “121″ fashion:
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stage list: 2 Bans
Starters:
-Battlefield
-Town and City
-Smashville
-Lylat Cruise
-Final Destination

Counterpicks:
-Delfino Plaza
-Halberd
-Duck Hunt
-Kongo Jungle 64
-Castle Siege
-Skyloft

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban

Gamecube Mystery Game Tournament - Double elimination bracket, will switch games each round of bracket. Should be really fun, hope everyone plays.

Venue Info: Arcade Legacy is an awesome place in the abandoned* Forest Fair Mall. It has tons of arcade games, pinball, and setups for playing games. The arcade has a moderate amount of room in the venue but also a bunch in the main court that is available for use. It is best to park in the parking garage. Check out more info on the venue here: http://arcadelegacyohio.com/
The banner above was made by Arkayne, who is an awesome artist that produces game, anime, and comic art. He will most likely be at the event with prints, so check out his art here https://www.facebook.com/IllustrationByArkayne

Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/arcadelegacy

Join the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/311589135718074/
Contact: You can contact me through smashboards or email me at blakfishy@gmail.com
Also check out the local Cincinnati Smash page for up to date info https://www.facebook.com/groups/cincysmash/

Last edited:

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Despite grievances with the increase in venue and event fees, I'll probably come to these. For me, though, besides the caliber of players, the affordability of CSR was a huge draw considering I live in Northern Kentucky. That little extra bit makes a difference. Regardless, I've been known to shirk financial responsibilities for Smash on multiple occasions. Cincinnati Smash Forever! Let's go!

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Despite grievances with the increase in venue and event fees, I'll probably come to these. For me, though, besides the caliber of players, the affordability of CSR was a huge draw considering I live in Northern Kentucky. That little extra bit makes a difference. Regardless, I've been known to shirk financial responsibilities for Smash on multiple occasions. Cincinnati Smash Forever! Let's go!
This is a one day event, I haven't decided what I will do for the reoccurring events after this.

iongammarays

Smash Rookie
NNID
Luckymicah
What if for the Wii U tourney, I don't own A GC controller? Will there be controllers provided or could I use my 3ds as a controller?

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
Cool I needed a reason to go back to the arcade. And I would like to suggest a starter list for smash 4: fd, bf, smashville,
TaC and lylat. Thease just seam like really soild starters (even though most the time people end up at smashville)

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Cool I needed a reason to go back to the arcade. And I would like to suggest a starter list for smash 4: fd, bf, smashville,
TaC and lylat. Thease just seam like really soild starters (even though most the time people end up at smashville)
those are the actual starters i run at the moment but i wanted to test it more at weeklies before confirming it.

SuperSalamence

Smash Cadet
NNID
T-Flex
3DS FC
5455-9990-9310
Maybe. I would be a little more interested if Brawl was there too although I understand why it's not there.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hmm... No smash 4 doubles :|

Glad to see 3 stock/customs, but please add more variety to starters. Having two versions of smashville, battlefield, and FD means that a flat/plat stage is guaranteed which defeats the purpose of stage striking.

I'm using this on the 27th tournament:
Skyloft Castle Siege Delfino Plaza Halberd Lylat Cruise Battlefield Town and City Smashville Final Destination

Hilt used this:
Delfino Plaza Halberd Lylat Cruise Battlefield Town and City Smashville Final Destination

Hilt's tournament had the problem of needing to strike both T&C and SV if you wanted to strike either, resulting in a lopsided strike list. Instead of removing T&C and replacing it with Skyloft or Castle Siege, I just added both to even it out. Otherwise characters who have an advantage on.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
What if for the Wii U tourney, I don't own A GC controller? Will there be controllers provided or could I use my 3ds as a controller?
Arcade Legacy likely will have a GC controller for sale, so you could always check that!

At a recent KY tournament a guy used his 3DS as a controller and placed pretty high, so it's always an option.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I like the increased venue/tourney upgrades. Now this seems like a legit tournament <3
right? cincy feels so casual now lol
now with customs, I'm on the fence.
#misstheolddays

Last edited:

Osirun

Smash Cadet
Love the ruleset for Smash 4, love that it's at AL on a day I'll be there. And loving the fact I get to play in my first Smash 4 tournament. Gonna be a good time!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We'll be here. Expect 2-5 from Louisville.

A couple things: At least five starters is key. Three is way too small. Adding Town and City and Lylat Cruise should be a given. I like adding Delfino and either Halberd or Duck Hunt for a seven stage set. I don't agree with Overswarm about Smashville and Town and City overlapping, but I do look forward to seeing nine stage sets being tested. But imo, 7 > 5/9 >> 3.
Liking seeing that customs are on.

Doubles would be cool, but it's understandable considering this is a multi-game event. Only thing I don't like with regards to that is that, for the people that are only playing one game, you're paying a $10 venue fee to enter one event. That's $20 to enter a tournament, if you don't bring a setup. I've run tournaments at AL before, so I know that it goes into supporting the arcade, and that you get unlimited arcade gaming all day. It's just the fact that players like myself aren't going to feel like we're getting all we can out of an event.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Doubles would be cool, but it's understandable considering this is a multi-game event. Only thing I don't like with regards to that is that, for the people that are only playing one game, you're paying a $10 venue fee to enter one event. That's $20 to enter a tournament, if you don't bring a setup. I've run tournaments at AL before, so I know that it goes into supporting the arcade, and that you get unlimited arcade gaming all day. It's just the fact that players like myself aren't going to feel like we're getting all we can out of an event.
There will also be a mystery game tournament to cater to players of all games!

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
That bit of Kentucky that has fried chicken.
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
Wait. Is that the dead Cincinnati mall with the movie theater and the arcade that sells famicom? Because I've actually been there. (Went in looking for a candy bar after an interview)

That place was awesome!

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Wait. Is that the dead Cincinnati mall with the movie theater and the arcade that sells famicom? Because I've actually been there. (Went in looking for a candy bar after an interview)

That place was awesome!
Yes it is that awesome arcade.

Heropon_Riki

Smash Cadet
NNID
yojo98
Just wondering, how many more are you expecting per game than the tournements from before? This event seems really nice though! Hoping to represent the secretly high tier R.O.B.!

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, how many more are you expecting per game than the tournements from before? This event seems really nice though! Hoping to represent the secretly high tier R.O.B.!
Well, I got 70 at the last CSR, so more than that. There are actually quite a bit of local ROB players.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Definitely going to make this. Sad there's no Wii U doubles but it's understandable. Might be bringing 1-2 of my roommates along with @Ralph Cecil potentially.

Also MM me, I'm dying to pop off in this game lol.

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
Hey this is kind of a scumy question but are you guys going to give a grace period for sign ups? I am coachin b-ball that day and if I really boogie I can make it there by 1:20ish

tjdk2

Smash Cadet
Wait forget that last post did not see you up dated the schedule

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I'll hopefully be bringing several people to this. Two roommates, two neighbors for their first rournament, and potentially Ralphie.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
pls no customs pls no
not be4 apex, not liek dis

looking forward to seeing everyone :3

Last edited:

SoulPech

Smash Master
I'm starting to think that we need to have the meta open as much as possible. That way we can understand the game better, then start limiting down options. I'm all for Custom Moves.

NMH

Smash Rookie
1:00 Singles pools wave 1 begins (all 3 games)
2:30 Singles pools wave 2 begins
4:00 Singles pools wave 3 begins
5:30 Break
~6:00 Mystery Game Tournament begins
6:00 Bracket Begins
What if I want to play multiple games? How would that work?

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
What if I want to play multiple games? How would that work?
3 waves split up the pools 3 ways, so in wave 1 5 pools of melee will happen, in wave 2 5 pools of melee, and in wave 3 the final 5 pools of melee. For example if you played all 3 singles events you would be in melee for wave 1, pm for wave 2, and smash 4 for wave 3. The best thing about waves is that you can enter all the events without the pressure of keeping up with all your events, we make you by keeping you in order through the waves.

Suyon

Smash Lord
No doubles makes me sad. Also customs eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Biggest turn off for me since I know I'm going to do bad lol.

NMH

Smash Rookie
Sorry for all the questions, I'm not well versed in this kind of thing, but what is a pool, and how does it work? I couldn't find anything with my meager search engine skills.

EDIT: Formatting

Last edited:
Top Bottom