• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

James Mcloud Dead or Alive?

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Is foxes father James Mcloud dead or alive? in star fox 64 when you beat androsses brain he guides you away from the coming explosion but dissapears when you make it out and there is a level in star fox command where he appears right before you fight the boss and you can choose to play as him but he dissapears once the level is over. Is his ghost helping you or is he really alive?

fabianmo

Smash Apprentice
No i think hes just a spirit cause no one can dissapear like that, think of Star Wars and Obi Wan helping Luke, hes just a spirit.
PS: Sorry for my Star Wars analoogy:laugh:

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow. Interesting topic. Props to you, good sir.

I think he's dead. My reasoning is simple: why would he not talk to Fox if he were alive? James also (so far as I know) only appears when Fox is in some crazy trouble, meaning Fox could simply be seeing things from the stress.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Despite James appearing in one level of Command, AFTER you beat the level, fox clearly states that his dad was killed.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but does he only appear when Fox is in trouble in Venom? I cant remember.

PS: He's so dead, but if I'm right about the Venom thing, he haunts that planet only. He doesn't follow Fox around.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
He's dead, I don't even think it's really debatable.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero

Edit: He is not a giant space whale, even in that comic. "One of our crew wishes to speak to you." Ha! He was in the space whale shaped ship. (James McCloud is not Space Jonah.)

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Edit: He is not a giant space whale, even in that comic. "One of our crew wishes to speak to you." Ha! He was in the space whale shaped ship. (James McCloud is not Space Jonah.)
You did know that was all for comic relief, didnt you?

Whether hes alive, dead, a member on the S.S. Space Whale, we can all agree on one thing....thats a horrible comic.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
EE returneth to the Light House.

It's a tricky question, actually, because you have to ask a few questions about the universe in question that the Shigster has created. I don't think there's any kind of magic in the StarFox universe, but that doesn't completely rule out supernatural happenings.

Think about it though. How much sense does it make for McCloud to just abandon his son? He didn't really have any reason to fake his death beyond doing so to escape and let his son deal with the guys that "killed" him. And if that was the case, he'd have appeared after Fox killed Wolf et al and told him as much.

And I haven't played any GameCube StarFox games so I'm a big ignorant. What were the conditions McCloud appeared under, and is it true that he only appears on Venom?

At any rate, I'm positive he's dead because of the above reasons. However, this leaves a few interpretations as to why Fox keeps seeing him.

1) McCloud is trapped as a kind of wandering spirit, as evident in most ghost mythology, where people murdered or dying with unfinished business walk the earth until they are given closure. He uses this wandering to appear as a ghost and probably acts as a guardian angel.

2) If the Big N is deep enough, maybe Fox has psychological trauma from the death of his father. Maybe his self-worth is low enough that he'd just give up when it seems hopeless, and thus as a kind of mild schizophrenia, he hallucinates that his father comes and rescues him.

And as a sidebar, can someone explain to me why Andross is a mechanical giant head with floating hands? Was that a robotic, bizarre sort of battle ship?

EDIT: Oh, and Numa Dude. I made that avatar.

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
Andross isn't a mechanical giant head that was just a machine he used so you would think hes dead andross is really a giant brain(I'm serious). In star fox 64 if you followed the right path before you fight andross you would fight star wolf and then after beating them you would go into androsses lair and when you get to the end you would fight andross as you usually would but when you beat that form he would turn into his giant brain form. He is a giant brain because he experimented on himself.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
And I haven't played any GameCube StarFox games so I'm a big ignorant. What were the conditions McCloud appeared under, and is it true that he only appears on Venom?
The GC Star Fox games revealed nothing about James McCloud. It was only in Star Forx 64 and Star Fox Command for the DS did he make an appearance.

I just checked, and James did only return when Fox was on Vemon.

I hope that the next Star Fox game explains everything. Perhaps James is sorrowful about something which happened in his fight against Andross which prevents him from seeing his son. I doubt it but whatever. He didn't age at all in Command where as Peppy is an old man. Ghost/Fox is psycho for sure.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I really hope my/our theory is true, because that is just bad *** and indicates a lot of character depth.

Also, how does one turn themself into a giant brain? (I am assuming was originally an ape like his mercenaries)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I doubt a criminal mastermind and dictator that successfully controls an entire planet would be dumb enough to answer an ENLARGE YOUR _________ e-mail.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Just got Command, I've been trying to get all the endings James. I hate it when I accidently get on the path of an ending I already have. So far most of my endings suck. Might I add this game would work perfectly with the Wii. The wiimote make good use of the command map. I really hope I can get a game like this on Wii later.

Evil Eye, your logic makes the most sense and covers all bases. I especially like your "schizo" Fox idea.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Heck, I'd follow the orders on an enormous ______ so I guess he's not so dumb afterall. That doesn't say a whole lot about me.

I agree with Vulpine51 in that most of the endings suck. It's almost as if the creators wanted the characters to suffer. There's really no save the girl/planet, beat up giant villain, everyone are friends ending.

Spoilers PS: Dont read if you cant handle it. If you dont plan on playing Command then go ahead.

Andross had a son and ultimately a grandson. What stupid monkey would procreate with him?

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Unrelated: Commonyoshi, are you female? Or is your location a joke...

Or Gay?

>_>

*must know...x_x*

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
commonyoshi I've already spoiled this game enough for me so im not going to highlight that tag.

Oh and also -->
I think toecutter has a thing for you : p

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Just a note, nintendo announced there would be no direct sequal to command, there is no "true" ending. Future star fox games will take place sometime previous to command, similar to how teh metroid series went back in time after Fusion for the Prime series.

This means, if fox is unaware of his father being alive in Command, there will never be an enlightenment previous to Command. In other words, we'll never know.

He's obviously more than a brain disorder E.E. You can play as him and kill things. I don't think a brain disorder can shoot things.

I think Nintendo just hates us.

edit:
commonyoshi, it's something called cloning and genetic manipulation. Means he doesn't need another monkey. I like the ending where the grandson creates a Venom empire.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Just a note, nintendo announced there would be no direct sequal to command, there is no "true" ending. Future star fox games will take place sometime previous to command, similar to how teh metroid series went back in time after Fusion for the Prime series.

This means, if fox is unaware of his father being alive in Command, there will never be an enlightenment previous to Command. In other words, we'll never know.

He's obviously more than a brain disorder E.E. You can play as him and kill things. I don't think a brain disorder can shoot things.

I think Nintendo just hates us.

edit:
commonyoshi, it's something called cloning and genetic manipulation. Means he doesn't need another monkey. I like the ending where the grandson creates a Venom empire.

Thanks for sharing this! I never knew that!

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
I wasn't?

I just never would have guessed CY is a female...and he/she does joke a lot.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
It would be a suprise to me to and yeah we all do joke alot (see my last few posts).

Hmmm..I think we've derailed this thread long enough. For some reason I got the feeling that they are going to trash the whole story are rewrite it from the beginning. This would probubly be the only way James could come back as a live character.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Unrelated: Commonyoshi, are you female? Or is your location a joke...

Or Gay?

>_>

*must know...x_x*
Even though I live in SF, I am completely straight.
commonyoshi I've already spoiled this game enough for me so im not going to highlight that tag.

Oh and also -->
I think toecutter has a thing for you : p
If you've unlocked the "Dash Makes a Choice" ending then you know it already.

And also: Who dont?
/spoiler
That's so dumb. I hate how they've ruined Star Fox lately. Command was a good game, dont get me wrong, but it blows as part of the Star Fox series.

I loath multiple endings like this. If they want to leave it amiguous then they should give us the scenario and let us play it out in our heads. They shouldn't have given us options to choose from.
Unless Fox goes super saiyen (I dont know this Dragon Ball spelling) on his enemies when he starts to hallucinate about his father. Inspiration, you know? I dont believe this explaination for a second, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
edit:
The guy owned a planet and took enhancement pills. You question his allure to the ladies?

Top Bottom