• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

James Brown - Dead at 73

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615

The Godfather of Soul, James Brown, was admitted to the Emory Crawford Long hospital in Atlanta on Saturday with a case of pneumonia and died in the early hours of Christmas morning.

James Brown left an indelible mark on the music of the 20th century and influenced countless other artists in rhythm-and-blues, soul, funk, hip hop and more.

He had a tour date coming up in my hometown and hailed himself to be the "hardest working man in the business"; continuing to perform and do charity work right up until last Friday (not to mention scheduled performances for New Year's Eve).

Here's one of many news stories for follow-up.

R.I.P. to the Minister of Super Heavy Funk!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I'm so tired of that dumb song, and it's only going to play more to honor his death.

I remember when Jackie Chan knocked him out in The Tuxedo. Good stuff.

Never been a fan but rest in piece, regardless.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I got into funk thanks to the funkmaster himself. And interestingly enough, I once knew a white supremacist that liked the guy so much he called him an honorary white man. In his own sick, disgusting way, he was honoring him. I guess.

That's opening the wrong can of worms though.

In reality, he did more than make music. I think he really helped bridge the apartheidic gaps. After all, it wasn't really banished when it was officially banished, if you know what I mean. James Brown and other African-American musicians helped show that black people can have talent, and in the long run, that they are people.

Plus, he really knew how to boogy down.

The fact that he died of something treatable and avoidable makes his death more tragic, I think. Nonetheless, I guess I should take his advice.

GET UP OFFA THAT THANG

Top Bottom