• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Jack of all Trades" Alternative Smash Tournament (Canceled for 2/14)

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
This tournament is going to be a little different from your typical 1 v 1 Smash tournament of old. It will be 3 stock, no items, best 2 of 3 on the typical stages. However...

You do not pick your own character. Your opponent picks your character for you and you pick your opponent's character each match. Your opponent can not make you be the same character twice.

If you are like me and like playing as the entire roster and hate being forced to chose a "main" to be competitive in tournaments should find this as a breath of fresh air. This rewards superior knowledge of moves and match ups for all characters in the roster. Sign up here: www.challonge.com/JackOfAllTrades3S4

For the sake of simplicity, Mii's and custom moves will be off. However, if many of you want them on we can arrange something.

Update: A few matches from this tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/drchops89 . Communicate with your opponent there or through the messaging system on Challonge. If you want to be streamed, please send me a friend request (NNID: DrChops) before the tournament to speed up the process. I will not stream all the matches, but I will try to stream whoever wants to be.

Rules:

Stages will be selected by typical 1-2-1 strike method.

Standard:
BF
FD
SV
T&C
Laylat

Counterpicks
DK 64
Skyloft
Duck Hunt
Castle Siege
Halberd

Character Selection
In the beginning, the higher seed chooses the lower seed's character. Then the lower seed will pick the higher seed's character.
Once a match has been played. The winner will choose the loser's character and then the loser will choose the winner's.
A player cannot be forced to be the same character more than once in a round.

Update:
Due to some feedback I have gotten from you all, I am going to allow for each player to strike TWO characters from the roster at the start of the tournament. This means that you cannot be forced to be those characters during the tournament. Please inform each of your opponents who you have chosen to strike at the beginning of each round.

The tournament is at 8pm EST 2/14! If you are interested, please reply here and join at this link: www.challonge.com/JackOfAllTrades3S4

Also, the tournament will be streamed once my Twitch channel is running. I will not be streaming every match. I'll stream my matches till I am knocked out, and then stream some of the rest.

Match Schedule:
Each round should not take more than 30 minutes. If your opponent can't be contacted by the forfeit time listed below, you may report the match as a win for yourself. Matches can start before the listed start time (except for round 1) but matches against absent players cannot be reported till after the time listed.
Round 1 starts at 8:00 pm. Absent opponent forfeits at 7:10pm.
Round 2 starts at 8:30 pm. Absent opponent forfeits at 7:40pm.
Round 3 starts at 9:00 pm. Absent opponent forfeits at 8:10pm.
Round 4 starts at 9:30 pm. Absent opponent forfeits at 8:40pm.
Round 5 starts at 10:00 pm. Absent opponent forfeits at 9:10pm.
More rounds will be added as more people join the tournament.

Last edited:

vailskibum94

Smash Cadet
I think this is a really interesting idea, but most likely each person will choose the other player to be an extremely low tier character.

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
That's kind of the point. However, I don't think anyone really agrees with who is "lower tier" just yet. This allows you to play as characters you probably wouldn't play in tournaments in other circumstances.

Last edited:

shadowmadstarup

Smash Cadet
sounds fun, is there a place to sign up? What do you think about each person choosing 3 or 5 characters that can not be chosen for them?

DrChops :)

Smash Rookie
The link should be at the bottom of the first post. Please let me know if you can't see it.

Also, I am working on getting this streamed. More details to come!

Smash Rookie
sounds fun, is there a place to sign up? What do you think about each person choosing 3 or 5 characters that can not be chosen for them?
5 is way too many. I could see letting a player strike 2 characters if people would like to. I'll think about it tonight.

fabz97

Smash Cadet
As much as i love having mains, this seems like a good idea, id like to sign up

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I might just join this. Sounds really fun, especially since I already kinda know how to use more than 10 characters.

Also the idea of each player striking 2 characters sounds great. I'd be all for that.

Strikin Megaman everyday

Last edited:

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for joining everyone! Just want to note that I added some information above.

You will be allowed to strike 2 characters and I've added a stream for communication.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
BTW, should Wuhu be allowed, considering the whole boat instadeath glitch?

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
Wuhu has been removed from the counterpicks. Thanks for the heads up Darklink!

Ducksen

Smash Apprentice
I'm joining! I'll be sure to give people semi-decent characters and not low tiers like a jerk.

Smash Rookie
I've already registered, and I really like the idea. :) Hope to fight some cool people.
Thanks for joining! I look forward to playing with you.

I'm joining! I'll be sure to give people semi-decent characters and not low tiers like a jerk.
That's kind of tricky though. As the saying goes: "One man's trash is another man's treasure"... which could probably also be extended to "one man's treasure is another man's trash".

tonyfinale

Smash Rookie
NNID
tonyfinale
how about we tell our opponents to choose random theyll never see it comin

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
Tournament made for next week. Please sign up!

Please note that I've made a few changes:
Now is 2 stock and it isn't going to be double elimination. I think I like the idea of "group" play to a single elimination tournament, similar to the World Cup. I'm going to draw up some strict match deadline times in the days to come to keep the tournament on schedule so it doesn't last forever. Let me know what you think.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I will definitely try to make it.

Though.....I DON'T like the idea of 2-stocks AND single-elimination

It'll be far too hard to get even remotely used to a character you've never used, or suck with, in 2 stocks, and the fact its single elimination would make people get screwed over way too easily. I think if it's single-elimination, and 3 stocks, it should be fine, right?

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Tournament made for next week. Please sign up!

Please note that I've made a few changes:
Now is 2 stock and it isn't going to be double elimination. I think I like the idea of "group" play to a single elimination tournament, similar to the World Cup. I'm going to draw up some strict match deadline times in the days to come to keep the tournament on schedule so it doesn't last forever. Let me know what you think.
Single elimination...err.

I usually like 2 stocks in tourney. But I feel like 3 stocks under this ruleset let's the player gain experience with their random character, and allows for more of a chance of a comeback. Deadlines for matches seems fine.

World cup...err. /jk

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Single elimination...err.

I usually like 2 stocks in tourney. But I feel like 3 stocks under this ruleset let's the player gain experience with their random character, and allows for more of a chance of a comeback. Deadlines for matches seems fine.

World cup...err. /jk
double elimination 3 stock would LITERALLY be the same as last time.

Besides, its gonna be held weekly, and theres no prize involved, sooo o3o I dont mind single elimination.

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
double elimination 3 stock would LITERALLY be the same as last time.

Besides, its gonna be held weekly, and theres no prize involved, sooo o3o I dont mind single elimination.
Is it meant to be different? Dub elim, and 3 stocks is good for this kind of ruleset.

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
The tournament is going to have a group stage that seeds a single elimination tournament. Everyone is going to play at least 3 games, so the average player will play more games in this format, even with the final bracket being single elimination. I thought this was an interesting format and wanted to give it a try.

Darklink, you are probably right about the stock. I'm going to switch it back to 3 stock. The time difference between a round with 2 stock and a round with 3 stock probably won't be that big considering most of the time taken in tournaments is finding opponents and setting up matches. Each stock really only takes ~2 minutes. I'll make the change back to 3 stock.

Last edited:

fabz97

Smash Cadet
So sorry about last week, apex made me completely forget, i can deffo make this one lool, tbh im not a fan of single elim but we still get 3 matches which is ok, 3 stock is deffo ideal tho:)

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
I have learned to dislike double elimination tournaments. As the TO, it is miserable to try and get all the matches required in the loser's bracket done in a reasonable amount of time. A lot of players will lose their first game... and then leave. This causes certain parts of the bracket to fall far behind others, making everyone have to wait a long time.

I like the idea of group play. You are guaranteed 3 matches and have a 50% of getting a 4th. Also, it allows for seeds to actually mean something in the bracket and doesn't have all the draw backs of a double elimination tournament.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
I will definitely try to make it.

Though.....I DON'T like the idea of 2-stocks AND single-elimination

It'll be far too hard to get even remotely used to a character you've never used, or suck with, in 2 stocks, and the fact its single elimination would make people get screwed over way too easily. I think if it's single-elimination, and 3 stocks, it should be fine, right?
Everyone plays 3 games at least from what I'm seeing dude.

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
I've signed up, but I don't understand how the bracket works.

DrChops

Smash Apprentice
Please explain the bracket =[
Everyone is placed in a group of 4. You play everyone in your group, meaning you will play at least 3 games regardless of if you win or lose. The two people in the group with the best W and L record move on to the single elimination bracket. The bracket is seeded because the person with the best W and L record in a group will play the 2nd place player from another group.

I might increase the number of players in a group to increase the number of games played by everyone and reduce of chance of ties in group play.

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
Everyone is placed in a group of 4. You play everyone in your group, meaning you will play at least 3 games regardless of if you win or lose. The two people in the group with the best W and L record move on to the single elimination bracket. The bracket is seeded because the person with the best W and L record in a group will play the 2nd place player from another group.

I might increase the number of players in a group to increase the number of games played by everyone and reduce of chance of ties in group play.
I think I kind of get it, thanks.

shadowmadstarup

Smash Cadet
Can you explain stage picking? I have never done a tournament with pick and counter pick stage choices. I generally only play on omega stages because there are no stage gimmicks.

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Can you explain stage picking? I have never done a tournament with pick and counter pick stage choices. I generally only play on omega stages because there are no stage gimmicks.
The 121 method goes like this.
Host bans a starter stage (1), then opponent bans two stages (2), and finally host bans one of the last two (1). Remaining starter stage is played on.
After that, I believe the winner bans three stages (starter, or counterpick stages.), then loser picks the stage.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I'm in :) This should be fun
Edit: Never mind I can't :(

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I'm in ^_^, quick question how do we communicate with our opponents?

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
I'm in ^_^, quick question how do we communicate with our opponents?
Update: A few matches from this tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/drchops89 . Communicate with your opponent there or through the messaging system on Challonge. If you want to be streamed, please send me a friend request (NNID: DrChops) before the tournament to speed up the process. I will not stream all the matches, but I will try to stream whoever wants to be.

Read op pls.

Top Bottom