• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

jab reset

Varist

Smash Lord
i can't start playing puff until i figure out what the **** this means and how it works and why it works and when it doesn't and why it doesn't and who it works on and where it works on them because noob puffs need rests to stay even

someone teach me this please, i'm a sweet boy

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Moves with low KB and that do less than 7% (I think?) force a wake up at certain percent ranges. Since Puff's jab is super weak, it will usually force wake up into ludicrous percent ranges (Sheik's jab reset becomes escapable with easy DI at like 32% for Falcon, whereas Puff's works up until like 80%+ on him). Moves that do less than 7% (when they have enough KB) force people to stand (or fly up without tumble), so people try to use DI (including SDI) to artificially boost the KB of the jab (but this generally isn't possible on Puff's because of how small the SDI window is [low damage] and how weak it is). Some good examples are here: HBox vs Zhu - Match 3 - Genesis.

I think a general rule that you can remember is that if you nudge someone on the ground and there's not enough KB (as a result of DI or otherwise) to lift them onto their feet, you will produce some kind of reset. Depending on how close you got to getting them on their feet, they'll have the complete knockdown option suite when they get up (both rolls, stand, and attack) or just the stand. If they got kind of close to standing up, they have everything. If they didn't, they're forced to stand.

Varist

Smash Lord
So absorbing all that information and not letting any of the effort you put into typing that go to waste because i'm a considerate boy, can I conclude that the reason that my practice jab resets on cpus fail is because of the "closer to getting them on their feet" factor?

I have just knocked down a Fox, run over and jab the paraplegic ****, he is, in an instant, on his feet and just grabbed me or rapid kicked or **** all whatever.

This is because his percent was too high and I knocked him onto his feet. Were that Fox at a lower percent he would be forced to either roll/attack/stand or, even lower, stand only, and that is completely fail-safe? I won't expect any jank if I've just jabbed a fox at 30%? He's gonna get right up and I can rest?

And an appropriate segue, how lenient is the window after getup into shield that I can rest him in?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
So absorbing all that information and not letting any of the effort you put into typing that go to waste because i'm a considerate boy, can I conclude that the reason that my practice jab resets on cpus fail is because of the "closer to getting them on their feet" factor?

I have just knocked down a Fox, run over and jab the paraplegic ****, he is, in an instant, on his feet and just grabbed me or rapid kicked or **** all whatever.

This is because his percent was too high and I knocked him onto his feet. Were that Fox at a lower percent he would be forced to either roll/attack/stand or, even lower, stand only, and that is completely fail-safe? I won't expect any jank if I've just jabbed a fox at 30%? He's gonna get right up and I can rest?

And an appropriate segue, how lenient is the window after getup into shield that I can rest him in?
Are you practicing on LV9 CPUs? Or something? lol

Window is really lenient. You should be able to jab reset human Foxes until like 90%+

edit: I screwed around with the jab reset vs LV9 Fox and Falco as Puff. Unless you're doing something stupid like double jab, they shouldn't be getting out of this. Once he's lying down, space animal should be screwed provided you hit the jab.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman

I practice on cpu's by using pound at 15% or higher on fox, it knocks them down, you run over and jab them. If you jab them soon enough, they do the forced getup animation and then you run at them, short hop and rest. Stock. In my experience jab reset works on fox until 70-ish if he doesn't sdi (which cpu's wont), so you won't have any jank if you jab them at 30. And if you're close enough to jab them, you should be able to rest them afterwards, unless you mess up. If you take too long it gets shielded, but you have to time it so you rest right as he stands up, and not before.

Varist

Smash Lord
thanks boomrested, i was practicing it last night and had a hard time getting them knocked down in the first place to sufficiently practice.

it looks like the easiest knockdown moves at those percents are utilt, uair, sometimes a hard nair, a di'd down bair (which cpus will never let happen), and as you've pointed out, pound. it's really hard to set up utilts though.

could you or someone else also explain the rest technique where you up air them into a platform, uair them again so they miss tech window, then float up and rest? I want to know how generally reliable this is on mid-level players and on which characters it works best. I know it's easy on fast fallers, but what about a character like luigi, peach and marth? what percent ranges for that combo?

thanks, need to **** texas.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Ummm. I don't find that the oppurtunity for double uair comes up that much. On fastfallers though, something I like to do if I grab them under a platform is uthrow>uair>rest. It's very reliable on midlevel players because they try to tech the initial impact on the platform, get hit by the upair, miss the tech and then get rested. You can do a mixup where you uthrow>double jump waveland in response to the tech>regrab>uthrow rest. This is when you look at them and say "Boom. Rested." Doesn't really work on anyone but fastfallers. Luigi and Peach will just nair out of it.

Varist

Smash Lord
i'm sleeping over at my asian's house over the weekend so no melee but I have the rest thing pretty much down pat. it's hard switching from fox and falco to puff but it makes matchups so much easier. anyone have mango's contact details because i'll be in california for a stanford conference next week and I want to learn from the master. jab -> dtilt is the rapest thing I ever saw, definitely going in my hype video

Top Bottom