• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab jab fly, when to use it?

Son~

Smash Rookie
I've been hearing about Jab jab fly in my search for some charizard tips. I tried it out but it seems like you can shield out of it. So when is it actually usable? I even tried jump canceling the jab into fly, but it was still possible to shield. Help?

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I never use this because it's not a true combo and it's too risky.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
use it to surprise people every once in awhile. I'd say only go for it one time per match at kill percents, because after that they'll be expecting it. It's still a nice little kill set up, but it's not guaranteed. If you barely catch them in your jab, like at the outmost part of the jab range then don't go for it.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
It's a big yomi thing-- watch how they've been responding to your jab by delaying the last hit a little sometimes? This should be doable (and even viable maybe) given a hard read.

Last edited:

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
mainly I would use it point blank range as from there my opponent would probably attempt to jab me

also as a finisher but I really wouldn't try it more than once unless you've completely run out of options or just know that you can land it

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
What's all that discussion about reducing jab recovery frames with a crouch? Does it make jab2-fly a legit combo?

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't think there is any cancel. The crouch is just an easy visual cue to when the jab actually ends so you can input the upB.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I don't think there is any cancel. The crouch is just an easy visual cue to when the jab actually ends so you can input the upB.
Link definitely cancels his jab with a crouch- can Charizard do similar? I'm probably getting placebo'd

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Link definitely cancels his jab with a crouch- can Charizard do similar? I'm probably getting placebo'd
When Link crouches, it resets his jab so he can use his first jab again instead of his second or third one. That's why Jab Linking works.

Charizard's Fly, however, is unaffected by which jab he is on. That means crouching won't do anything. Theoretically, that is.

Last edited:

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
When Link crouches, it resets his jab so he can use his first jab again instead of his second or third one. That's why Jab Linking works.

Charizard's Fly, however, is unaffected by which jab he is on. That means crouching won't do anything. Theoretically, that is.
Oh, so it doesn't actually reduce the frames. This is nice, thank you!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just noticed this combo is really legit when you jab your opponent out of air. It seems the 2nd hit drags the opponent towards Charizard, making for a very clean Fly that kills at pretty much 110% upwards.

Shadow7474

Smash Rookie
I just noticed this combo is really legit when you jab your opponent out of air. It seems the 2nd hit drags the opponent towards Charizard, making for a very clean Fly that kills at pretty much 110% upwards.
How well does it work against an opponent who is mashing jab when hit? For example my bro plays Luigi and any time I get him in a jab combo he just mashes jab just in case I go for fly and it doesn't end well for me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
How well does it work against an opponent who is mashing jab when hit? For example my bro plays Luigi and any time I get him in a jab combo he just mashes jab just in case I go for fly and it doesn't end well for me.
I wouldn't use it against a grounded opponent, but if you are fast enough and the armor frames of fly should beat it.

Shadow7474

Smash Rookie
Alright I'll have to try out the difference between the grounded and airial opponents in training then.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I've gotten it to work Oos and after a Grab Release.

You can also condition people to attack you by doing Jab Jab > Grab, and bait that out for the K.O.

Against Heavies, I'm pretty sure Nair > Jab2 > UpB works as well, but you have to DI into them, so you run the risk of getting grabbed.

No, but Charizard's Jab 2 has so little endlag that it's not hard to just do whatever afterwards.

:006:

Last edited:
Top Bottom