• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Iwata Talks Details On New Partnership With DeNA

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
This is absolutely not under consideration…If we did this, Nintendo would cease to be Nintendo,” explained Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata to questions from Nikkei about Nintendo entering the mobile gaming market in 2011. All positions can change given due time, and this appears to be one of those instances. With Nintendo expanding their brand into the mobile gaming fray announcing a surprise partnership with DeNA, Nintendo is taking on a brand new market. After the initial announcement, Iwata has spoken with Time Magazine and filled in more details of the deal, and given his reasoning behind the decision in an exclusive interview.

One of the biggest shocks in the move is the partnership with DeNA. The stakes and money in play are significant. With this move, both companies will be investing over $181 million in shares of the other company. What this means is that Nintendo will be acquiring about 10.00% stake in DeNA and about 1.24% stake in Nintendo would belong to DeNA. The number might be seen as uneven, but Nintendo allowing for such a large share of their company to a mobile gaming company is a huge deal when considering Nintendo's value can be approximated at over $14.5 billion. This move is already making big waves, with Nintendo's stock skyrocketing about 26% near Wednesday's stock market closing.

Certainly though, the fears of Nintendo ceasing to be Nintendo have caused this move to be more calculated than first impressions give off. Iwata remained consistent in his answers concerning the Nintendo brand. “We will not do anything that may hurt Nintendo’s brand image—that parents can feel safe giving their children access to it.” Iwata insisted. This is an important thing to remember when considering how Nintendo will handle the world of micro-transactions that mobile gaming has brought to life. Iwata did explain that with each release Nintendo would be consulting DeNA for the best possible option in regards to payment structure. It is clear that Nintendo realizes that payment models are still evolving and wishes to utilize strategies optimal in expanding the NIntendo IP.

The Nintendo IP will be expanding into new territory, and Iwata's answers demonstrate a key understanding that a move like this can't rely on simple ports of existing titles. Iwata confirmed that even though titles would be showcasing familiar faces, they would be treated as their own entities built from scratch. The goal is to expose more consumers to the Nintendo IP and garner interest in the traditional model Nintendo has provided up until now. Iwata was clear that while profit margins will be influencing decisions, this move is focused on expanding the Nintendo IP and its consumption.

Excited to learn more about the moves Nintendo is making? Come join me in the discussion about this and more (such as the current #TwitchPocalypse) on Twitter. -Xiivi

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
When Nintendo announces that their mobile games will be pay to win:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Hope this can made Nintendo famous in Taiwan again... Taieanese love to play mobile games these days.

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
Man, this worries me. When pokemon shuffle was announced, it scared me because I saw a move like this coming. IMO, they never should have gone into mobile. The controls on most mobile games suck, and "pay to win" games aren't generally any good.

Then again, this is Nintendo. They may change up everything in the mobile market with revolutionary ideas, similar to what they did with the Wii.

Soul.

I'm not sure if micro-transactions are a good or a bad thing. Can someone explain this to me?
I can see this mobile thing benefiting Nintendo. After all, their stock soared right after the announcement. Profit is profit.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
To be honest, If nintendo did succumb to PTW (Pay to win) models that are along the lines of candy crush or use Assassins Creed Unity levels of micro-transactions, there would be a huge backlash from the community. I have faith that nintendo would stick to their Quality over Quantity roots in the console and gaming business when they make the transition to the mobile world with their first game.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Glad Nintendo decided to enter a new market.

Of course, this won't take away from the current hardware and games. Nintendo will still make quality stuff, and Sakurai, Miyamoyo and Aonuma won't be developing iOS games.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
This is gonna suck hard. I just know it, Nintendo, PLEASE do not go into the mobile gaming industry.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm very...mixed about this. On one hand, a lot of what nintendo offers appeals to the casual gamer, so naturally going into the mobile market is a good thing.
On the other hand...that first entence of this article expresses my worries perfectly. If this changes what nintendo is as a company...well, I might be a very, very unhappy person.
However, we could see...oh, I don't know, a square enix/nintendo collab that gives us a mobile port of SMRPG kinda like what Eni has done with some of their FF games? Fingers crossed!

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
As long as any nintendo icons are not downgraded to a mobile game like sonic and still create quality games, I do not care at all.

D

Deleted member

When Nintendo announces that their mobile games will be pay to win:
That's actually okay, since they were intended to not be full games anyways, and more like small tastes... or ads.

Remobit

Smash Cadet
nintendo is going to have one heck of a hard time thanks to how easy it is to hack an iphone and android and take the apps and redistribute them online. The only way to stop this is if they are in game items to buy on a free to play game which it is harder to hack nintendo servers, but I don't like to see Nintendo go free to play and buy items to win stuff. Nintendo better have some kind of revolutionary idea to defeat these hackers and stuff while being the same nintendo wilI always knew.

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
nintendo is going to have one heck of a hard time thanks to how easy it is to hack an iphone and android and take the apps and redistribute them online. The only way to stop this is if they are in game items to buy on a free to play game which it is harder to hack nintendo servers, but I don't like to see Nintendo go free to play and buy items to win stuff. Nintendo better have some kind of revolutionary idea to defeat these hackers and stuff while being the same nintendo wilI always knew.
In other words, they're in a tight spot, no matter how you look at it.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
remember when we were all freaking out when Nintendo started selling DLC? I don't think there's anything to worry about

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I'm fine with microtransactions. They can still make fun games, like SEGA does with Sonic Runners.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I'm mixed on this while leaning towards being negative towards this. This partnership seems like a good thing and I hope Nintendo innovates in mobile gaming. On the other hand (This is biased before anyone asks themselves) I really wonder whats going to happen to Nintendo's other mobile platforms like the 3DS and New 3DS. I am personally don't like mobile gaming because: Controls suck badly, microtransactions and some mobile games are just meaningless time wasters. I'll still give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, but it will be hard to break into mobile gaming.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I see more Nintendo Spin offs being made for the Iphone/Android market (think Pokemon Tropezai and Mario vs. Donkey March of Minis).

Not a bad idea, as long as Nintendo oversees everything and makes sure that their brands and IPs names are not soiled.

We can start fearing the worst once Nintendo announces it will be making games for Playstation and/or Xbox systems.

Nintendo is entering new territory and should tread carefully.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If Nintendo thinks it'll work, it'll work. Leave it to them to make something interesting out of something like mobile gaming.

Top Bottom