• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur stinks!

Onxy

Smash Lord
Or atleast I don't believe so. What makes Ivysaur so bad? Every PT vid I watch, it's always the same - switching out Ivy as soon as she comes up. No baised comments, just be objective.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
his recovery just gets gimped easyily, as far as character wise goes besides his recovery hes very good

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Then you have not watched the right PT videos. Yes, there are some people that don't like one poke or another, and yes, Ivy has some disadvantages, but I think Ivy is as good as the other ones. Maybe that PT were facing a terrible matchup for Ivy, so switching is a good strategy.
I don't think Ivy stinks...

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Ivy has one of the largest learning curves of them all. Therefore, not many people trust themselves with Ivysaur. However, he's powerful and has range, as well as decent speed. The fact is that manipulating this range is rather difficult. So, people tend to avoid Ivysaur in fear of getting beaten around too much. When played right, he's very useful.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
People are lazy and dont want to learn ivy. They then want to win, so they switch out of ivy since they havent practiced ivy. Since they switch out of ivy, their other two get so much better than ivy so they never even bother.

Pisses me off too, but I guess that makes it more fun to **** people with Ivy and have them be all surprised.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
I think it's pretty stupid not to use Ivysaur. I find she is incredibly useful in racking up damage and staying safe. Plus, if you get a clear chance to use bullet seed, then there will be blood(or percentage)!

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Well maybe ivysaur wasnt the pokemon for the ocasion (bad matchup, high percent so they wanted to live long as charizard) or they havent learned ivy. Its not that hard, shes fast, powerfull and has godd proyectile game, the only thing you have to do with her is handle well your spacing

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Well maybe ivysaur wasnt the pokemon for the ocasion (bad matchup, high percent so they wanted to live long as charizard) or they havent learned ivy. Its not that hard, shes fast, powerfull and has godd proyectile game, the only thing you have to do with her is handle well your spacing
Yup, her Razor Leaf SHOULD be spammed, mostly I think that Ivy is switched out because of her lag when attacking

acv

Smash Journeyman
ivy stinks.what do you think the powder coming from the nasty thing in its back is?

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur's attacks have long range, and his three special moves makes it really hard to aproach him.
Razor Leaf shoots forward, Bullet Seed straigth up, and Vine Whip between those two. It's really awsome against some characters with no projectiles.

Ivysaur is my favorite Pokemon too. I use all three Pokemon, but I prefer to use Ivysaur. I only use Charizard when I have high % and I only use Squirtle against some opponents Ivysaur may have problems with (Opponents with projectiles like Falco or Link) and to survive attacks like Samus FS offcourse (Withdraw).

So I think that Ivysaur absolutely does NOT stink. It is just that people overrate Squirtle so much, that they forget Ivysaurs advantages. Squirtle is way to overrated.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Personally Ivy is my KO tool. He can rake in damage faster than either squirtle or charizard, and can KO a pretty darn low percents. IMO Ivy is the best one.

Not to mention that on the "type chart" Ivy has the least weaknesses.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Ivy is all about getting people where you want them. You want to land an explosion move or a bullet seed, so you use Razor leaf, Utilt, Bair, ect.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Personally Ivy is my KO tool. He can rake in damage faster than either squirtle or charizard, and can KO a pretty darn low percents. IMO Ivy is the best one.

Yet, in brawl, a ton of characters have fire.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice

Sooooo, what kind of opponents do you play? They probably don't ledge guard, know how to dodge slow attacks, or start grab combos.

JiangWei23

Smash Journeyman
;_; Ivysaur's my favorite! If given the chance I will consistently try to switch to her, as I consider her my "main" out of the three.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
I find Ivysaur to be a brutal machine of death...but maybe that's just me.
It's probably that they just dislike Ivysaur, or they feel she's not the best choice for the situation.

Or maybe they just hate plants, who knows? It takes all kinds.

FindTheBalance

Smash Rookie
Ivysaur is definitely too good for that. She's just so versatile, and opponents simply don't know how to react to a good 'saur. Very easy to kill with, rack up damage with, or just annoy the hell out of an opponent. The 2 reasons that people switch out of Ivy so much is that she's hard to learn, and her recovery is crap.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur is definitely too good for that. She's just so versatile, and opponents simply don't know how to react to a good 'saur. Very easy to kill with, rack up damage with, or just annoy the hell out of an opponent. The 2 reasons that people switch out of Ivy so much is that she's hard to learn, and her recovery is crap.
Correction. bad opponents simply don't know how to react to a good 'saur.

she gets ledge guarded, and is outmanouvered by more than half of all chars.
I start with squirtle, and when I get the chance, I switch to ivy at teh end of my 1st stock, to rack up kills so that I won't lose a full stock if I get ledge guarded, and I play a very defensive ivy.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Of course the same could be said for most of the cast.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I just don't like Ivy's playing style, or Ivysaur as a Pokemon. I just want to get back to Squirtle and Charizard. So basically, when Squirtle gets KOed, I hang around as Ivysaur for a bit and try to pull off a bullet seed and maybe get a quick KO with Fair or something, and then change to Charizard as soon as I have an opening.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
The recovery is good for Ivysaur, but only if you use it right and if you're close up. Otherwise, it's a terrible recovery.

Ivysaur isn't good for finishing and getting KO's, but it's certainly good for dealing damage. That combo it has with the Bullet Seed [regular special] (B Button), is great for building up damage and setting up. Though, it's not good late game and has a terrible recovery, decent knockback though. Ivysaur's not terrible, it's just harder to use. Charizard is personally my least favorite of the three, and Squirtle is undoubtedly my favorite.

Ghost Slime

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur is not female or male. It's "it". Ivysaur's role on the team is to hit from far distances and stay out of the heat of battle. It's a more defensive fighter, and most people use it very offensively. It is not easily gimped, because it's razor leaf prevents it.

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
His atacks are good, and his B can easily rack up 40-50% Damage on all but DI masters (at least in my experience). Then HE should switch out to someone else to finish, because his best KO moves have easy to spot charge animations. He is also akward for some people because there is not a COMPLETELY quadrupedal character. Ivyasaur is overall midle tier in my opinion

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
All 3 pokemon have there positives & negatives goin for them. The only reasons I would ever switch out my Ivysaur early is: My damage meter is 80% or higher & as we all know thats Charizard's time to shine! My other reason is if I don't feel comfortable with the match up like Sheik (She always seems to get in my face quick and punish my cooldowns).

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur is not female or male. It's "it". Ivysaur's role on the team is to hit from far distances and stay out of the heat of battle. It's a more defensive fighter, and most people use it very offensively. It is not easily gimped, because it's razor leaf prevents it.
Does that matter? It could be both for all I care.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
The only reason that I'd switch ivy out, is if my damage is less than 50%. I don't want to waste a stock getting ledge guarded.

Ghost Slime

Smash Cadet
Does that matter? It could be both for all I care.
Then stop referring to it as "she" and "her". It is not female. I bet you would like if it was both, at the same time, creep.

"SHE. YIFFYIFFYIFF, GOTTA GIVE IT A GENDER. HOT PLANT TOAD. MRRRR."

Onxy

Smash Lord
Then stop referring to it as "she" and "her". It is not female. I bet you would like if it was both, at the same time, creep.

"SHE. YIFFYIFFYIFF, GOTTA GIVE IT A GENDER. HOT PLANT TOAD. MRRRR."
Ugh.. I knew this wouldn't die. Does it matter what I call it? To me it's a she, so there. Either talk about Ivy's practical use, or just simply don't post.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
If this is happening consistently then I don't know what you're doing. =/
It's because the people I play know how to time the super armor when they ledge guard, so when I razor leaf the edge, it doesn't hurt them. And, they have to sense of honor, they'll ledge guard me any chance they get.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
But you shouldn't even be falling off the stage too often. It means your giving the opponent too many chances to attack your Ivysaur. Always try to stay near the center of the stage. You can Razor Leaf spam from anywhere, so might as well be the most secure.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
But you shouldn't even be falling off the stage too often. It means your giving the opponent too many chances to attack your Ivysaur. Always try to stay near the center of the stage. You can Razor Leaf spam from anywhere, so might as well be the most secure.
Did I also mention that the people I play love to camp at the edges. Lasers > leaf

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I personally love ivysaur... but in fact is the one which demands to be used more carefully. Id u do things wrong.. u can get urself in horrid combos and start the fight with lots of %. Before i used to star with ivy but i find myself doing much better starting with charizard now. Ivysaur being my thir poke in line seems to be a good tactic, at least for me.

But ivy´s smash attacks and tilts cannot be overlooked. Their are deadly and the bullet seed can really turn around a fight if used properly. I remember some days ago... i was losing the round...and suddenly i caught my opponent in a bullet seed and did 60% damage... later on i won the fight.

Ivy definitely needs to be used with caution as it lags A LOT with the majority of its attacks.... and players like meta and young link can attack u mercilessly.

Its spam game with razor leaf is good but is not as effective with a big number of characters. i think is better used when combined with other moves to camp and bait opponents to attack.

Ivy biggest flaw is the recovery. If someone gets the edge and decides to receive the up B.... u are done. Most of the time ull die.

bottesini

Smash Rookie
It's because the people I play know how to time the super armor when they ledge guard, so when I razor leaf the edge, it doesn't hurt them. And, they have to sense of honor, they'll ledge guard me any chance they get.
Uair from below, fair from the side, delay your razor leaf, or hit them with the up b sweet spot to wall spike. Mind game with your recovery because Ivysaur has more attacks than just razor leaf.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Uair from below, fair from the side, delay your razor leaf, or hit them with the up b sweet spot to wall spike. Mind game with your recovery because Ivysaur has more attacks than just razor leaf.
Uair from below is a 60/40 death sentence, too risky. Most of the time, I don't even make it close enough to the edge the use an ariel, an even if I did, they could super armor that too.
It's just safer to switch to ivy with high %.

Top Bottom