• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur is underrated

marthsword

Smash Ace
This thread could be a lot more clear and better organized, but I wanted to get this out of my system, so I'll start.

Ivysaur is underrated. I've been using him since the second I got Brawl, whenever I play PT I start as Ivysaur, and try to use him as much as possible, and switch back to him almost instantly when the fatigue is over. I've had to learn how to use squirtle and zard a bit, but I really specialize in Ivy. As soon as I got the game I knew I was going to main PT, and I knew I was going to use Ivysaur primarily. Anyway, I'm ranting.

Recently I have seen many people placing Ivysaur in bottom tier, where I personally don't think he belongs. Many of these people complain that he has trouble approaching. Well, they don't know how to play Ivy. Ivy needs to make the foe approach him. Ivy does this through razor leaf spamming and camping. He does ok without an approach.

Second, let's look at Ivy's bullet seed (B) It is quite simply an INCREDIBLE move, and broken too. And amazing damage racker. It is pretty much guaranteed that you're going to get more than 25% with this move, and can easily get 45+% It seems a bit hard to land it since the opponent is going to realize that jumping over you is not a good idea considering bullet seed and your overpowered uair and u-smash, but there's another way. When you start up Bullet Seed, which takes no time at all, There is a hit box to the left and right of you on the ground, which hits the foe into the air, RIGHT into the bullet seed, racking up incredible damage. You can also lead into this with a d-throw, and even u-throw.

Third, let's look at aerials. People have stated that Ivy has a bad aerial game, which isn't true. Not the very best, but still pretty good.

Fair is an incredible move, which hits edgeguarding foes, HUGE disjointed hitbox, can horizontal KO if hit around the center of the vines, can vertical KO if hit around the tip, and good at ending combos.

Bair is very underrated. It has INSANE range, two hits, can be spammed, and is perfect for that little bit of space you need. Ivy is all about spacing. It has very little knockback, and little damage. The little knockback is a good thing though, for spacing.

Dair isn't great, but keeps you up a bit in the air, which helps so you don't fall when trying to spike. Yeah, it spikes. It is a spike near the bulb, and a very powerful one, but a small sweetspot. It can KO, though there are usually better options, like it's counterpart, Uair

Uair is an insane KO move. It has incredible knockback, a little less than U-Smash (strongest U-smash in the game,) and comes out faster than U-smash. I've killed at 60% using this to end a juggle. It also shoots you down a little, which isn't too bad.

Nair is pretty good. It has lots of hits, hard to DI out of, does good damage, and has good knockback.

Now for the 4th part. Her recovery. People are right about Ivy's recovery. It is terrible, it's the second worst in the game (second to Olimar's IMO) but if used correctly, she can usually make it back to the stage, even if the opponent tries to edgehog. The first rule is to SAVE YOUR SECOND JUMP. Very important with all tether characters. Second knock the edgehogger off, if there is one. This is easy for Ivy if they're not in invincibilty frames. A simple razor leaf is excellent. Your second option is a fair. As I said, it has excellent range, power, and has a disjointed hitbox.
Now, once their off, use your second jump if you didn't have to already, or if you have to now, and grab the ledge with your vine and press up. The area of which Ivy can use her vine whip and grab on is deceiving, it is actually a very large area, above the stage too. You may even be hanging far below the stage.

And to end this I would like to say, Ivy has a disjointed hitbox on everyone of her moves, and very long grab range.

Ivy also has incredible grab range, and her grabs are great for setups. Her U-tilt has incredible range, fast, great setup, and she propels her self a few feet OFF the ground, so ground moves will usually go through her. F-tilt is one of her best moves, perfect for spacing, lots of damage.

If you want to flame me, flame me. If you want to call me an idiot, call me an idiot. If you want to agree with me, agree with me, say what you think.

squiser

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Ivysaur is underrated as you think, for the reasons you listed. I've never heard anyone say Ivysaur has a bad aerial game.

:034:

Smash Hero
Recently I have seen many people placing Ivysaur in bottom tier, where I personally don't think he belongs. Many of these people complain that he has trouble approaching. Well, they don't know how to play Ivy. Ivy needs to make the foe approach him. Ivy does this through razor leaf spamming and camping. He does ok without an approach.
Try playing against Fox, bro. He can just reflect your razor leaves and shoot right back.

Second, let's look at Ivy's bullet seed (B) It is quite simply an INCREDIBLE move, and broken too. And amazing damage racker. It is pretty much guaranteed that you're going to get more than 25% with this move, and can easily get 45+% It seems a bit hard to land it since the opponent is going to realize that jumping over you is not a good idea considering bullet seed and your overpowered uair and u-smash, but there's another way. When you start up Bullet Seed, which takes no time at all, There is a hit box to the left and right of you on the ground, which hits the foe into the air, RIGHT into the bullet seed, racking up incredible damage. You can also lead into this with a d-throw, and even u-throw.
Point, but one move does not take a character out of bottom tier.

Third, let's look at aerials. People have stated that Ivy has a bad aerial game, which isn't true. Not the very best, but still pretty good.

Fair is an incredible move, which hits edgeguarding foes, HUGE disjointed hitbox, can horizontal KO if hit around the center of the vines, can vertical KO if hit around the tip, and good at ending combos.

Bair is very underrated. It has INSANE range, two hits, can be spammed, and is perfect for that little bit of space you need. Ivy is all about spacing. It has very little knockback, and little damage. The little knockback is a good thing though, for spacing.

Dair isn't great, but keeps you up a bit in the air, which helps so you don't fall when trying to spike. Yeah, it spikes. It is a spike near the bulb, and a very powerful one, but a small sweetspot. It can KO, though there are usually better options, like it's counterpart, Uair

Uair is an insane KO move. It has incredible knockback, a little less than U-Smash (strongest U-smash in the game,) and comes out faster than U-smash. I've killed at 60% using this to end a juggle. It also shoots you down a little, which isn't too bad.

Nair is pretty good. It has lots of hits, hard to DI out of, does good damage, and has good knockback.
All agreed, although dair and uair are hard to hit, bair and fair are really awesome. The range on both is **** good, and the fair is powerful as well.

Now for the 4th part. Her recovery. People are right about Ivy's recovery. It is terrible, it's the second worst in the game (second to Olimar's IMO) but if used correctly, she can usually make it back to the stage, even if the opponent tries to edgehog. The first rule is to SAVE YOUR SECOND JUMP. Very important with all tether characters. Second knock the edgehogger off, if there is one. This is easy for Ivy if they're not in invincibilty frames. A simple razor leaf is excellent. Your second option is a fair. As I said, it has excellent range, power, and has a disjointed hitbox.
Now, once their off, use your second jump if you didn't have to already, or if you have to now, and grab the ledge with your vine and press up. The area of which Ivy can use her vine whip and grab on is deceiving, it is actually a very large area, above the stage too. You may even be hanging far below the stage.
Ivysaur has the worst recovery in the game. Olimar can stretch his tether at a much farther distance when all six Pikmin are out (which is most of the time). But yeah, Ivysaur can be knocked away by Ganondorf around 60% and NOT MAKE IT BACK TO THE STAGE because of his **** recovery.

And to end this I would like to say, Ivy has a disjointed hitbox on everyone of her moves, and very long grab range.
Ftilt, nair, fsmash, dsmash (I think), utilt, dash attack..

Ivy also has incredible grab range, and her grabs are great for setups. Her U-tilt has incredible range, fast, great setup, and she propels her self a few feet OFF the ground, so ground moves will usually go through her. F-tilt is one of her best moves, perfect for spacing, lots of damage.
Agreed.

Ivysaur is highly underrated, but definitely not as good. Low tier, not bottom tier.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
ivysaur is alright, the fact that most of his smashes and aerial attacks have huge delays.
bair is spammable but a lil weak, i find my self using neutral air alot more.
his recovery is average, far from the best
the one thing i love about ivysaur is the potential to combo out of throws (at opponents low % =/ )
and his dash attack is a good way to KO people

but all in all this is my opinion, wouldn't say ivysaur is underrated or overrated id say hes average

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur counters the **** out of ike, he can barely do anything to you. razor leaf him so he has to approach through the air, shieldgrab at that point or something. your fsmash is money as well, quicker than his own fsmash. and you can bullet seed him, like always.

ivysaur is top mid or high, imo. the problem with him is when he faces characters that can outcamp him. that's when ivy has SERIOUS problems, because you are forced to approach, and ivy isn't very good at that.

but

hey

you know what you do?

you pokemon switch :)

ranking each poke individually is okay, but pt in general should be ranked as well. perhaps each poke in italics on the official tier list since you can't really use only one for a whole match.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Ivysaur is the best! I never play as Poke Trainer (I think he should be called Ash, I mean really that's who he is) because I hate squirtle so much and Charizard doesn't fit my style, but Ivy is SO awesome.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
for me its squirtle>charizard>ivysaur. squirtle had alot of combo potential, charizard has a great fair and a great smasher. the best use i have for ivysaur is to finish up what squirtle didnt finish. probably cause i suck or im not use to ivysaur yet

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Squirtle = Fast, good aerials, poor death percentage, has trouble KOing, average recovery
Ivysaur = Average speed, average aerials, average death percentage, very capable of KOing, below average recovery
Charizard = Slow, average aerials, high death percentage, very capable of KOing, above average recovery

I'm not saying any one Pokemon is worse than any other. They were designed to average out as being exactly the same, so Ivysaur should be just as good as Charizard, who should be just as good as Squirtle.

Squirtle's attacks just come from instincts and Charizard's attacks are focused around killing the opponent quickly. The reason it seems like Ivysaur is underrated is because her uses are so situational that it takes a while to understand when to use what moves where. I can only hope people will catch on as time goes by.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Looks at samus with Zair
Quoted for infinite truth. In fact, Samus with Zair in Heavy Brawl can send her straight to top tier.

Ivysaur is really good, he's just... slow. His aerials have a bit of startup lag and his moves pretty much only combo into themselves. Characters need to string moves together, not hit and run.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
for me its squirtle>charizard>ivysaur. squirtle had alot of combo potential, charizard has a great fair and a great smasher. the best use i have for ivysaur is to finish up what squirtle didnt finish. probably cause i suck or im not use to ivysaur yet
honestly, that's kinda why ivy is there, he's next in line, so let him get the kills since squirtle won't be getting many,

On topic though, Ivy's definitely the best and he's not the worst, he's got good and bad going for him as all other chars do. But that's what the other 2 pkmn are for, so

Fearmy

Smash Ace
honestly, that's kinda why ivy is there, he's next in line, so let him get the kills since squirtle won't be getting many,

On topic though, Ivy's definitely the best and he's not the worst, he's got good and bad going for him as all other chars do. But that's what the other 2 pkmn are for, so
ermm.. you eman defintely not the best?

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Ivysaur is the best! I never play as Poke Trainer (I think he should be called Ash, I mean really that's who he is) because I hate squirtle so much and Charizard doesn't fit my style, but Ivy is SO awesome.
HELL NO, RED DOSEN'T DESERVE TO BE COMPARED TO THE ID*OT OF ASH (PKM manga is awesome, and the anime ****). i mean red at least tried to complete the pokedex (and actually did 70%), but ash has in front of him every legendary in front of him and not tried to capture one. also red is smart (hell he created a cloud, then charge it whit electricity and used vinewhip as a lighting rod) not lucky.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
I have only one concern.
Is Ivysaur really a girl?
well according to the version of pokemon silver and gold, red's venasaur (ivy evolution) is male, so i don't think there are many chances of ivy being female... sorry (but don't give up hope)

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
replying to OP because it would be stupid to attempt to reply to everyone else.

Anyway, I'm ranting.
noted ^^; this will not be that critical of a reply (or at least, you shouldn't take it as one).

***your points are good, but please don't get carried away.

Ivy needs to make the foe approach him. Ivy does this through razor leaf spamming and camping. He does ok without an approach.
think about how this makes ivy awesome. oh yes, it does! ^^;
also think about how ivy can be outcamped. ever try spamming razor leafs against pit or toon link arrows?

Second, let's look at Ivy's bullet seed (B) It is quite simply an INCREDIBLE move, and broken too.
When you start up Bullet Seed, which takes no time at all, There is a hit box to the left and right of you on the ground, which hits the foe into the air, RIGHT into the bullet seed, racking up incredible damage. You can also lead into this with a d-throw, and even u-throw.
incredible move. also, not broken. the initial popup is obviously an ideal way to get into bullet seed. the caveat is that its short range forces you to get in close. if ivy played like squirtle, that would be perfect. unfortunately my ivy's spacing game doesn't permit this nearly as often as i would like. also I wish I could follow up throws with bullet seed more often, but it doesn't seem to work as well as I like.

also, against opponents who you notice DONT know how to smash DI, abuse bullet seed to no end.

QFE

Ivy has a disjointed hitbox on everyone of her moves.
im highly unconvinced of this. you really meant to say something about how ivy has great range and lots of disjointed hitboxes that make the zoning game great. so i'll pretend that's what you said ^^;

Ivy also has incredible grab range, and her grabs are great for setups.
you really have to memorize this range well. I find that the animation is a bit deceiving.

If you want to flame me, flame me. If you want to call me an idiot, call me an idiot. If you want to agree with me, agree with me, say what you think.
i think pie is tasty.

Zephirah

Smash Cadet
i think pie is tasty.
Lol. I agree in some points on this rant. The only thing that I don´t believe is that ivysaur is a bottom tier. Anyways I play sometime with PT which means that I don´t choose the pokemon which I´m starting with ( which is the whole idea of making these kind of characters, but that´s another thing). Most of the times when I get to start off with Ivysaur I manage to win the game. Ivysaur is a great character to play with.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Thanks for the great replies everyone. And **** was I ranting! And anybody notice how I went from calling Ivy a 'she' to a 'he'?

Anyway. You're right about not every move being a disjoint, I realized that. Dash attack, u-tilt, nair, f--smash. However, u-tilt and f-smash are just as cool because with u-tilt, her hitbox leaves the ground by a foot or two (about short hopping height,) and f smash Ivy propels herself far forward with her vines.

And I was thinking Ivy should be about mid tier, not bottom where I'm seeing everybody place her (I guess it's just me, you guys don't seem too :confused:).

And yes, because of fatigue I understand that that Red's pokemon should not be placed seperately, but some people's tier's lists aren't doing that, some give PT a spot on the tiers list, and place the pokemon with asterisks next to their names IF they had to be seperate.

And DDRKirby: great reply, and yes, pie is tasty.

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
i'm not sure if his u-smash is the greatest in the game. it might be even with or second to lucas', but it still is such an insanely overpowered move.

anyway, i think ivysaur is a fantastic character. i'm going to say he's definitely the strongest pokemon in pt's arsenal. squirtle is too light and charizard is too slow, but ivysaur is a great balance of speed, weight, and power. i respect great ivysaur users and consider them formidable opponents.

yoonie

Smash Cadet
this thread makes me get the feeling that no one else (or at least no one else posting) has figured out that one of the best points of PT's game is the ability to pick from THREE characters to find a good counter for who they're playing against. Ivy's very good against certain characters, and absolutely terrible against others, but the same holds true for char and squirtle.

tl;dr: if you're trying put the pokemon in tiers individually, you don't get the point of PT.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Ivy underrated?, dont think so buddy. Ivysaur is a force to be feared. It has his bad match ups... but the nasty smashes, together with a good proyectile and the cheap bullet seed, are points at his favor.
In most of my matches, i find myself doing the dirty work with ivysaur.

Gindler

Smash Champion
i'm not sure if his u-smash is the greatest in the game. it might be even with or second to lucas', but it still is such an insanely overpowered move.

anyway, i think ivysaur is a fantastic character. i'm going to say he's definitely the strongest pokemon in pt's arsenal. squirtle is too light and charizard is too slow, but ivysaur is a great balance of speed, weight, and power. i respect great ivysaur users and consider them formidable opponents.
Nope, Lucas's power is lower but covers more area. Ivysaur's Easily pwns every other upsmash in the power department however.

Top Bottom