• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur: how to play with him and what are some good combos?

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
So I started to play Project M and my friends tell me that I am pretty good for someone who had played for the first. I started playing Ivysaur and I am really good at hitting sweet spots with him and his solar beam. Right now I am learning how to wave dash and L cancel. I just some more advice on how to play him.

Many Thanks

EarthMLG

jaytorgator

Smash Cadet
There's not many "true combos" in Project M as a whole, but Ivysaur does have a lot of things that she can exploit.

At lower percentages, UThrow and DThrow tend to be really good set ups for the Up+B sweet spot, given that the opponent has poor or no DI.

In general, Ivysaur doesn't combo much. All of her "combos" usually depend on how well Ivysaur tends to read her opponent. UThrow can go into USmash if read correctly, DThrow can go into a Dash attack, it all depends on the reads.

However, given good Down+B usage, Ivysaur can place it to either force the opponent into a different position on stage or to follow up after an USmash or DThrow/UThrow.

In general, don't focus on Ivysaur combos, but play a patient game in general and punish the hell out of your opponents.

((PS it's the Charizard player you know))

EarthMLG

Smash Cadet
NNID
Earthu
3DS FC
1693-2889-1535
There's not many "true combos" in Project M as a whole, but Ivysaur does have a lot of things that she can exploit.

At lower percentages, UThrow and DThrow tend to be really good set ups for the Up+B sweet spot, given that the opponent has poor or no DI.

In general, Ivysaur doesn't combo much. All of her "combos" usually depend on how well Ivysaur tends to read her opponent. UThrow can go into USmash if read correctly, DThrow can go into a Dash attack, it all depends on the reads.

However, given good Down+B usage, Ivysaur can place it to either force the opponent into a different position on stage or to follow up after an USmash or DThrow/UThrow.

In general, don't focus on Ivysaur combos, but play a patient game in general and punish the hell out of your opponents.

((PS it's the Charizard player you know))
Ah so its about reading people
AND HOW DID YOU FIND ME

Last edited:

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
Learn how to throw a retreating razor leaf, practice spacing, and go deep for those offstage ledge guards.

Your main method of getting kills is to get a grab, which you will get either from a read or a razor leaf punish. Down throw and up throw will combo into up-b for a kill, back throw can kill at high percents near the ledge on a lot of stages, or can set them up to be ledge guarded by your back air.

Other kill options are up-air, u-smash, down-b on floatier characters while they're high up, and at a pretty high percent. Down tilt to up-air is really good at higher percents.

For racking up damage, your nair is a a great tool. D-tilt is a amazing combo starter, and at lower damages should lead into your u-air, nair, and in some cases dair. Nair->up tilt->nair is usually a true combo at lower percents on most characters.

Covering rolls with your nair is also a heinous punish we have. Thing lasts forever, and combos into it self. Jab is also a great combo extender, it has a big hit box and comes out on frame 2, which is sooooo awesome especially when you pivot jab. It's amazing.

That should get you started. :p

UmmBees

Smash Apprentice
I recently found a combo that I think works fairly well. On most character at mid and low-high percents for fast fallers you can u-throw>short hop u-air>short hop up-b pretty consistently. I found it against comps and it works about 100% of the time on them and when I tried it against real players it seemed to work fairly well and getting it about 60-70% of the time. Also I haven't really tried it that much but possibly on floatier characters at lower-mid percents replacing the u-air with a down-b seems viable

Last edited:

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
Glad to see other Ivy mains here!

All of Ivy's true power comes from correct spacing and reading the opponents moves. Moreover, if u managed to force an opponent in a certain spot (down B, or heck even a charged solar beam gets opponents scared from standing in its reach), you ll be in total control of the pace of the game.

If you are dealing with crazy rushdown characters, try doing alot of back airs. Usually it helps to keep the opponents away from u.

Also, if u know how to do a flick (when u perfome a move forward but is unleashed from behind), u ll be surprised at the amount of space u ll cover on the whole stage. That tech is best performed when opponents sometimes know how to DI away from u. Also u can use that to surprise opponents with a reversed solar beam or standing up B.

Boyson67

Smash Rookie
I only have experience playing Ivysaur on 3.0, and against amateurs, but I really see how good Ivysaur is. The D Tilt seems to be a great spacing move since it has such great range. If you hit it at the end of the vine it pops them into the air at a beautiful angle from which many moves can be used. Another combo I like to try is using the Side-B razor Leaf in the air and following with a dash attack. It seems mildly effective at catching my friends off guard for some reason. Often they try to spot dodge and I am able to dash in and nail them before they can try to retaliate. Always make good use of Ivysaur's air options, too. That U Tilt is a doozy, and the sweet spot on Up - B is a very satisfying finisher.

mayami

Smash Rookie
i love using ivy's uair above an opponent, basically making her a fast falling hit box. (ko potential off stage)

as a character techs on a platform, fall onto them with ivy's uair, l cancel ivy's landing. this should lead immediately into an utilt. as soon as utilt recovers drop through the platform simutaneously sending out seed bomb. dependent on the character and the players di, vine whip can be confirmed off of the seed bombs hitstun.

a little tricky and situational, but possible

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
i love using ivy's uair above an opponent, basically making her a fast falling hit box. (ko potential off stage)
I RARELY get this, even when I'm using it as a mix-up. It's a super high risk that's not really worth the reward IMO. Good opponents will react in time.

Sixonesix

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty decent against characters with a predictable recovery path because it trades surprisingly well with a lot of up-bs...and usually trading with that move means Ivysaur just gets popped up a little bit in exchange for a KO. I'm actively trying to fit it into my edgeguard game for when they're too low to hit with bair.

It's absolutely evil against other tethers if your timing is on point because it'll connect whether they reel in quickly or just hang there.

Top Bottom