• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've never caused so many disconnections

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
So I was growing tired of using all offense so I decided to make my first stall team. Before I began I laid a few ground rules. I had to use Latias (I was curious to see how it would do on a stall team), couldn't ask for help until I got a 1500 ranking, and I had to try and avoid SkarmBlissCelebiTentaHippo as much as I could. After some experimentation, this is what I've got:

Hippo @ Lefties
Impish
252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 SpDef
--EQ
--SR
--Roar
--Slack Off

I used to look down upon this Hippo because I was used to ****** it with taunt DD Gyara. Because of this team I now understand how useful it is. SS/SR are vital to a stall team and it's overall bulk is awesome. Most people don't run taunt on Gyara anymore, so he can live even a +1 Waterfall and roar it away. Great answer to steels and Tyranitar. Also beats BP chains.

Latias @ Lefties
Bold
252 HP/ 228 Def/ 28 Speed
--Dragon Pulse
--Reflect
--TWave
--Recover

I tried just about every Latias set and I found this to be the best for this team. 28 speed is to outrun Metagross and the rest is poured into defensiveness. This is bulky enough that Kindra needs SR and either a DD or LifeOrb to guarantee a KO with Outrage. Reflect softens the blows of physical attackers that switch into Latias and TWave cripples others making it easier for Hippo/Suicune/Heatran to deal with them. This thing provides some very good resistances and prevents the anti-christ of stall, Infernape, from having a field day.

Rotom-C @ Lefties
Bold
252 HP/ 160 Def/ 96 Speed
--Discharge
--W-O-W
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

This guy has been my favorite change from D/P to Plt. 96 Speed is to outrun Scizor. With Wow and RestTalk, this guy can stall out most physical attackers. Discharge is more useful because the paralysis hurts other teams much more than the extra power of T Bolt. I use Rotom-c because 1: It is the coolest looking form (he has that badass grin) and 2: because he scares away annoying Swamperts.

Suicune @ Lefties
Bold
252 HP/ 244 Def/ 12 Sp Def
--Surf
--Roar
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

This thing is harder to kill than a cockroach. This set is weird, and thus has proved to be quite effective. This is my answer to Kingdra because I can't kill me and I can just roar it away. I also use this to ruin BP chains because people seem to forget that Suicune gets roar. Pressure is very useful combined with RestTalk. Also, Suicune has one of the top 10 best shinys imo.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Naive
6 HP/ 252 Sp Atk/ 252 Speed
--Dragon Pulse
--Earth Power
--Explosion
--Fire Blast

I'm so addicted to scarftran I even use it on my stall team lol. This has really been the most pleasant surprise for me because I wasn't certain how well it would work out. The same reasons why it is so useful on offensive teams still hold true here. He can switch in on tons of attacks and can threaten alot of problem pokes like Lucario, steels, and Mamoswine, and revenge kills Outraging dragons so well. People also don't expect to see it on stall which gives me a nice surprise factor. Late game when the opponents team is worn down and statused this thing just cleans house. Explosion has been proven to be invaluable against other stall teams because I can get something that my team struggles with out of my way. This guy is also my trick absorber that would otherwise hurt my team. Heatran is in my top 6 Pokes all-time now and I can't stop using it.

Blissey @ Lefties
Calm
22 HP/ 252 Def/236 Sp Def
--Seismic Toss
--Toxic
--Wish
--Protect

This thing has been on every stall team ever and we know what it does. Thanks to Scizor I don't have to worry about Gengar so much anymore and this can beat pretty much any other special attacker. 22 HP EV's was to reach a magic leftovers number, but with SS thats negligible, I'm just too lazy to fix it. 252 Def is so that it can survive some weak physical attacks and the rest is pumped into special defense. That much special defense, 656 HP and 401 Special Defense, may seem like overkill but I need all of it. The rest of my team is geared towards physical attacks and I need as much special defense as possible to prevent others from ****** my team. When I see attacks only do like 7% damage I feel kinda bad because it's almost unfair, but I get over it. Wish Protect and Toxic stall outs pains in the *** and Wish provides support when I have to switch out.

Problems I have encountered with this team:
--Dual Screen---> Taunt Rock Polish SD BP Gliscor ----> whatever.

I have to try and roar away with suicune, hoping they forget about roar. If that doesn't work I try and burn whatever is coming in with W-O-W but that again is shut down by taunt. Blissey could in theory toxic the BP recipient put I've never been that fortunate. My last resort is to use Heatran to explode the turn Gliscor BP's and hope that Explosion + SR is enough to kill it. Overall this strategy is a huge pain and if I make one mistake, it's usually good game. I've seen people use this strategy to pass to Rhperior, Metagross and Swampert and while each would have a different way of being stopped, I have no way of knowing which way that is until after the BP has already happened.

--Breloom

This guy is a pain because Latias is the only one that can stand up to him. Suicune and Hippo get ***** by seed bomb and can be put to sleep. Rotom resists Focus Punch but doesn't resist Seed Bomb and can't burn or paralyze Breloom because of substitute or Toxic Orb. Toxic Orb and SR resists allows it to take little damage from my SR and can heal back SS damage. Blissey is useless against this thing and Heatran can only break it's sub before being punched to hell. To deal with it I usually let Suicune or Rotom go to sleep and then switch out to Latias. If that isn't an option I atleast try to break it's sub before dying and then revenge kill/ scare it away with Heatran. I really can't think of a way to beat this guy without drastically changing my team, help would be great here.

--Rain Teams

Rain teams are so much a bigger pain than Hail teams because heatran and suicune can beat most Hail teams by themselves. Rain on the other hand is much harder to deal with. Heatran is essentially useless outside of exploding or dying to stall out one turn. Suicune's surf doesn't hurt against a team of all waters and it is also very hard for Hippo to get down rocks.
I have to rely on Latias to resist attacks and to TWave fast Swift Swimmers. Blissey is really useful in these fights though because WishProtect stalling really helps eat up rain turns. These are the fights where I wish I had toxic spikes. Oh well.

So theres my team. Rate, give advice, point out flaws, call me a noob, whatever. Thanks for reading.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
*saving this post in case I decide to make a threat list*

This team is for Smogon shoddy server if that wasn't obvious btw. I'm pretty confident I would get stomped on by Chomp if I was playing somewhere else lol.

c3gill

Smash Ace
looks like a decent, well put-together team. here are some issues though:

Why do you induce SS when only 2 of your team benefits from it? It is hurting your team more than helping.

Taunt laughs at your team. the only pokemon who will be happy to stay in on a taunt is Heatran- it limits every other pokemon.

Discharge on Rotom- you say its there to Paralyze, but you are running a WoW set. As you cannot both paralyze and burn, i suggest you drop Discharge for Tbolt.

i am going to use your team as an exaple of another mistake. Hippo is walled by Rotom. Rotom is walled by Latias. Latias is walled by Blissey. Blissey cannot outstall Suicune. Suicune is screwed by... Rotom! catch my drift? a stall team built on resists would **** your team.

You have five (5) pokemon with one (1) attacking move. Your sixth pokemon.... is locked into one move. If you do come to a situation where your team needs to attack, your screwed. I would suggest you take one of your pokemon and give it the ability to hit with more than one move (drop one of your ResTalk sets and throw a 2nd attack on there. I would suggest Rotom)

All in all not a bad team, and it look like you are fairly experienced with it. I just think some sets could use another look.

and i present this set!

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Soundproof: Calm
252 HP / 40 Sp Def / 216 Speed
Thunder Wave
Teeter Dance
Substitute
Psychic

Its a pity he doesnt have enough room for encore- but he does his job well enough. No one likes confusion, and parafusion is to screw with your head. Sub means you cant status me, soundproof means you cant roar me. GL getting a rest off, with me spamming Psychic and you all statused up and whatnot.

After looking at that set, this team doesnt need 2 restalkers, but rather a toxi-shuffler or a Spiking Skarmory. Skarm looks exceptional over Rotom, as you can Roost off damage, Spikes x3 to give your opponents more damage on the switch, and WW people away. pity he doesnt scare Swampert away though, as your team really dislikes him.

D

Deleted member

he's got a point, sand kicks your ***, especially with leftovers on everything.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Skarmory would make a great replacement for one of your Pokes, possibly Hippowdon. Just try not to use too many phazers. Forretress can utilize Toxic Spikes, and would also make a nice fit here; or you could add Tentacruel since you're technically not using that 5 poke combo you mentioned.

I don't really like Blissey anymore since no one uses special attacks anymore, and every Pokemon that does use a special attack is usually mixed. Cresselia is just as godly of a wall and can provide status/heal.

Instead of a Restalking Rotom, I recommend you put Substitute and another move over Restalk. Rotom is absolutely godly with a sub since you'll get to see your foe's Rotom counter and cripple it. Leaf Storm will actually let you deal with Swampert instead of just scaring it.

I'm a little worried about Thunder Wave on Latias, since you won't be able to burn or poison whatever you end up hitting. As for what to replace it with, Latias has a pretty big movepool so you probably already have an idea for what to put in it's place.

I don't like Dragon Pulse on Heatran, but otherwise, it's fine.

Top Bottom