• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've hit a brick wall with Captain Falcon.

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
Hello, everyone, I hope you're having a great day here on Smashboards, and I hope you're all doing well.

I'm looking for some advice in regards to Captain Falcon, because I feel like I've hit a brick wall when it comes to improving, learning new combos, and approaching.

I have my heart set on this character, I enjoy everything about him, and I'm absolutely 100% positive I want to main him, with Dr.Mario as my bread and butter character.

The thing I have the most trouble with are as follows in order of importance:

#1 Mix-ups

#2 Approaches

#3 Projectiles

#4 Learning new combos

#5 Not rolling and getting grab-thirsty a lot

So, those are things I need to improve on. However, I feel like playing on For Glory, and against the CPU is doing absolutely nothing for me right now. I was in a stage where I was improving INSANELY fast, like within a week I went from thinking "Man, this Captain Falcon looks awesome" in a For Glory match where I got my ass handed to me, to playing in For Glory myself and doing relatively well, getting lots of spikes and knees. But then I stopped improving. I started doing bad, and I stopped playing as Falcon for a few weeks.

At this point I feel like watching videos of combos, and learning from others expertise will greatly improve my skill, as mentioned by a user and a moderator in the Smash 3DS boards from my last post.

I'm also looking for some Captain Falcon dittos, even if you completely destroy me, I'll be happy, because I'll be learning.

Anyway, thanks for taking up your time to read this. I probably could have worded it all a little better, but I'm struggling, and Smashboards seems like the place to be, because so far it seems to be filled with lovely, accepting and generous people.

TLDR; I suck with Falcon, kick my butt.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hit me up dude. I'm all always down for Falcon dittos.

Know that you're on the right track. Your list of problems Is right in line with Falcons weaknesses. just some advice for approaching and avoiding getting grab hungry: party careful attention to the way your opponent reacts to your movement in the beginning of the match. Test the waters, see what you can bait him into doing. Be aggressive but let your opponent make the mistakes.

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
Hit me up dude. I'm all always down for Falcon dittos.

Know that you're on the right track. Your list of problems Is right in line with Falcons weaknesses. just some advice for approaching and avoiding getting grab hungry: party careful attention to the way your opponent reacts to your movement in the beginning of the match. Test the waters, see what you can bait him into doing. Be aggressive but let your opponent make the mistakes.
Dude, thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate the advice. I've never thought about that. I heard about some other interesting strategies about baiting the opponent, and playing mindgames with them, and one of the main tricks was simply walking up to your opponent. Not running and grabbing, just slowly creeping up to them. They'll either stand there not knowing what to do, or they'll freak the heck out because they don't understand what's going on, and go in for the grab. Not sure if that really works in high level play, but it's a pretty funny psychological thing.

My friend code is 2423-2804-9358 and my In Game Name is Matt. I'm also up for Falcon dittos, or Smash of any kind whenever, since I have a lot of free time on my hands as of now.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Well, you want to rely on Falcon's speed and grabs like... a lot. His down throw sets up for true combos around 50% and you can do pseudo chaingrabs at lower percentages.

Also, jabs are wonderful. Jabs shut down a lot of options.
SHFFL Nair and Bair are also relatively safe for pressuring.
Jabs and Falcon Kick stop most non-beam projectiles.

I'm always up for playing matches on the WiiU though. If you play on there, I can show you some of the stuff I do with Falcon.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
Join the falcon skype group by adding me at "unchartedsw" mate! 65 falcon players that all help each other never hit that brick wall. Dittos whenever really

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
Join the falcon skype group by adding me at "unchartedsw" mate! 65 falcon players that all help each other never hit that brick wall. Dittos whenever really
Man I'm so hyped that this is a thing that exists! I'll add you immediately! I'll include my Smashboards screen-name in my request so you know it's me. My Skype is actually my full name so I'm not willing to type it out on a public discussion board, call me paranoid, but it's a thing I stick to :]

Thanks so much!

TruthAlone

Smash Rookie
NNID
TruthAlone
3DS FC
2423-2804-9358
Well, you want to rely on Falcon's speed and grabs like... a lot. His down throw sets up for true combos around 50% and you can do pseudo chaingrabs at lower percentages.

Also, jabs are wonderful. Jabs shut down a lot of options.
SHFFL Nair and Bair are also relatively safe for pressuring.
Jabs and Falcon Kick stop most non-beam projectiles.

I'm always up for playing matches on the WiiU though. If you play on there, I can show you some of the stuff I do with Falcon.

I don't currently own a Wii U but when I get my lazy ass a job I plan on getting one straight away, and then I would love to see your moves. I only have the 3DS version, and I'd be more than willing to play on there.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom