• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've got this problem with a friend....(UPDATED WITH NEW FINDINDGS!!!!)

knuttz45

Smash Ace
So I have a friend that is having what could be a problem with his releationship. They have been dating for a little over 2.5 years. Before he reacts he wants to get an opinion....I've already told him what I think..but he wants more opinions......Here is what is going on from what he sees…

1. His girl recently started chatting with some guys online within the past couple month
2. Within that couple months, they have been having a little more disagreements.
3. His girlfriend won’t let him see the im conversations when he leans in to kiss her…she minimizes the conversations every time.
4. He read one conversation because she was signed in on his computer, it seemed a little disconcerting with talks about physical touching that’s non sexual but sensual manner.
5. His girlfriend has been acting distant lately.
6. His girlfriend wants to take vacations this summer near the area that these people she is talking to live.
7.(I was there for this one....he never raised his voice...and she yelled at him) He told her that he was a little jealous, and just wanted some re-assurance because of everything going on…He told her what he thought and how he felt...He never said he didn't trust her....But he wanted some reassurance that he was the one she loved....She wouldn’t give any reassurance, but instead turned the situation on him he should never be jealous, and that he should trust her and that he is in the wrong for bringing it up…..

My question is, is he in the wrong? Or are these symptoms of something else going on…

To answer the first response....We all are low 20's. (20, 21, and 22)

Well I've talked with the girl...and here is what she said...

1. She talks to these guys because they are funny
2. She is acting distant because she is trying to "teach" him a lesson because sometimes he acts distant. (he plays smash and brawl also). I asked her why she would do such a chilish thing, she blew me off.
3. they are still having a hard time. She went to her moms and won't talk with him. She keeps saying they need to talk, but when he says, ok lets talk, she avoids him.
4. She avoids MY calls now.
5. He tells me he wants to talk so he can work things out. He really does love her, and will try anything to work things out. He tells her all the time. He admits to every one of his mistakes, but she never does.
6. With the trust thing, she thinks she is doing nothing wrong, and that he is over reacting.

We had a long talk the other night and here is what I've gotten from our conversations :
1. . He can be a ******* sometimes. When she says something stupid, he calls her on it...sometimes nicely but sometimes in a rude way. He never yells or calls her stupid, its the way he words things.
2. He goes to work and school ALL day, he is gone on average prob 9 hours a day. and sometimes this carries over into the weekend. this does not include homework.
3. She doesn't work or go to school at all. She wants to but her degree is not offered at our local college.
4. She feels she is wrong all the time with things. He makes her feel this way. Thinigs I've notices with this are that she IS wrong most of the time, but he handles this in wrong way sometimes Sometimes she is wrong, everyone tells her she is wrong, but always has excuses why our opinions don't matter.
5. She wishes he would do more around the house. IT is about an 700 sq. FT apartment, he takes out the trash and helps with responsibilities a little bit Like feeding and watering, and occasionally taking them out to pee. (pets)
6.(in accordance of doing things around the house) I never see him eat at home. and he says he doesn't. He is trying to keep his motabilism at a good rate so he doesn't eat after 7pm. If he does eat at home ever, its a pop tart with one plate or something. She always cooks full meals and uses 3 pans and we all eat except him. He has already ate. (this is becausee its uaually 10pm when she cooks)
7. he is graduating colledge this year, and will work for an international company.
8. Is GF dropped out of college after the first year due to medical discharge (she got sick). Hasn't been back for a year, then this past year for other valid reasons she hasn't gone to school .
9. .Sometimes he does play games too much. He can play and ignore her sometimes. he admits this openly and is wiliing to break his favorite game for his relation ship.

I've re entered at the top also.

What should he do? She is basically going to break up with them. should he keep trying, give up? Should he make her life hell afterwards or should he just let her be and let her get her way with everything (house stuff).
what should I do? should I expose these people and say who they really are? I could taint names, but after reading what you guys said, i would taint hers and not his. They all have close friends, and most of them are siding with him. The only ones siding with her are her family and her closest friend (can't blame them). Should I enlighten her family to his side of the story, (all of our friends know BOTH sides of the story). Or would that be stirring the pot too much. Should I completely stay out of this?

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
How old are you guys? As harsh as this sounds, given the circumstances, I'd say she was, unfortunately, getting bored of that particular relationship. I wouldn't say anything else is going on at the moment, but I think the relationship is in trouble, unfortunately.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
It could go either way, so it seems. They both are wrong, actually. Her for acting like she's hiding something, and your friend for not trusting her at all. So what should he do? Talk to her again, maybe. I don't see how this could help the case, but really make sure there are no misunderstandings. It could only be friends, as far as we know.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
No, only she is wrong. Would you trust a guy that frantically minimizes his IM windows, and refuses to let you read them? And then when you do see one, it's with a girl and worded in a sensual manner?

It sounds like your friend is doing the mature thing: trying to talk to her calmly about it. She, on the other hand, is getting defensive and pissy. Would she do that if there wasn't some truth to his concerns? I don't think so.

There's nothing wrong with talking to a lot of guys online. I talk to people from SWF on AIM all the time, but I don't give a rats *** if my boyfriend reads 90% of the convos. And I don't become distant.

Hizkit pretty much nailed it. Most people in their early 20's will get bored of their relationships. It happens. It just sounds like either the girl doesn't want to go through with the break up due to being comfortable, because of convenience, etc, because she may not fully accept it(people are weird like that), or because she doesn't want to hurt your friend's feelings(lol, that would be ironic). Either way, the relationship in in trouble, and she doesn't sound very open to changing her ways.

Grandeza

Smash Master
No, only she is wrong. Would you trust a guy that frantically minimizes his IM windows, and refuses to let you read them? And then when you do see one, it's with a girl and worded in a sensual manner?

It sounds like your friend is doing the mature thing: trying to talk to her calmly about it. She, on the other hand, is getting defensive and pissy. Would she do that if there wasn't some truth to his concerns? I don't think so.

There's nothing wrong with talking to a lot of guys online. I talk to people from SWF on AIM all the time, but I don't give a rats *** if my boyfriend reads 90% of the convos. And I don't become distant.

Hizkit pretty much nailed it. Most people in their early 20's will get bored of their relationships. It happens. It just sounds like either the girl doesn't want to go through with the break up due to being comfortable, because of convenience, etc, because she may not fully accept it(people are weird like that), or because she doesn't want to hurt your friend's feelings(lol, that would be ironic). Either way, the relationship in in trouble, and she doesn't sound very open to changing her ways.
I think this hit it on the mark.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

You said it before I could.

Hizkit

Smash Apprentice
Knuttz, you no doubt know his girlfriend fairly well, yeah? Have you ever tried talking to her about it yourself and finding out what's up?

If Livvers is correct in what she said in the last paragraph then she may have a hard time talking to your friend about her being unhappy in any manner.

Gotta admit, it's usually dudes that mess up like this, I was guilty a few years back.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Livvers' post is all you need man, all you need. She nailed it.

I'm just posting here 'cause I like the people.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Well I've talked with the girl...and here is what she said...

1. She talks to these guys because they are funny
2. She is acting distant because she is trying to "teach" him a lesson because sometimes he acts distant. (he plays smash and brawl also). I asked her why she would do such a chilish thing, she blew me off.
3. they are still having a hard time. She went to her moms and won't talk with him. She keeps saying they need to talk, but when he says, ok lets talk, she avoids him.
4. She avoids MY calls now.
5. He tells me he wants to talk so he can work things out. He really does love her, and will try anything to work things out. He tells her all the time. He admits to every one of his mistakes, but she never does.
6. With the trust thing, she thinks she is doing nothing wrong, and that he is over reacting.

We had a long talk the other night and here is what I've gotten from our conversations :
1. . He can be a ******* sometimes. When she says something stupid, he calls her on it...sometimes nicely but sometimes in a rude way. He never yells or calls her stupid, its the way he words things.
2. He goes to work and school ALL day, he is gone on average prob 9 hours a day. and sometimes this carries over into the weekend. this does not include homework.
3. She doesn't work or go to school at all. She wants to but her degree is not offered at our local college.
4. She feels she is wrong all the time with things. He makes her feel this way. Thinigs I've notices with this are that she IS wrong most of the time, but he handles this in wrong way sometimes Sometimes she is wrong, everyone tells her she is wrong, but always has excuses why our opinions don't matter.
5. She wishes he would do more around the house. IT is about an 700 sq. FT apartment, he takes out the trash and helps with responsibilities a little bit Like feeding and watering, and occasionally taking them out to pee. (pets)
6.(in accordance of doing things around the house) I never see him eat at home. and he says he doesn't. He is trying to keep his motabilism at a good rate so he doesn't eat after 7pm. If he does eat at home ever, its a pop tart with one plate or something. She always cooks full meals and uses 3 pans and we all eat except him. He has already ate. (this is becausee its uaually 10pm when she cooks)
7. he is graduating colledge this year, and will work for an international company.
8. Is GF dropped out of college after the first year due to medical discharge (she got sick). Hasn't been back for a year, then this past year for other valid reasons she hasn't gone to school .
9. .Sometimes he does play games too much. He can play and ignore her sometimes. he admits this openly and is wiliing to break his favorite game for his relation ship.

I've re entered at the top also.

What should he do? She is basically going to break up with them. should he keep trying, give up? Should he make her life hell afterwards or should he just let her be and let her get her way with everything (house stuff).
what should I do? should I expose these people and say who they really are? I could taint names, but after reading what you guys said, i would taint hers and not his. They all have close friends, and most of them are siding with him. The only ones siding with her are her family and her closest friend (can't blame them). Should I enlighten her family to his side of the story, (all of our friends know BOTH sides of the story). Or would that be stirring the pot too much. Should I completely stay out of this?

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer

HOW DARE YOU BE SO DUMB

It's obvious that the men needs to read The Game and apply it's teachings.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
They both have some pretty strong conflicting interests. I see the girl more in the wrong since she goes on tirades and doesn't help out a lot financially (apparently, she does nothing.)

Miharu

Smash Hero
They both have some pretty strong conflicting interests. I see the girl more in the wrong since she goes on tirades and doesn't help out a lot financially (apparently, she does nothing.)
Well, not only that, but she's being defensive and not in the least bit open about the situation. Seems like, as it's been said before, that she wants to just keep things this way because it's comfortable (and any significant change would lead to this not being the case).

About telling their close relatives about the situation: I actually have no idea what to do here, as I have very little experience with relationships (and the issues that come along with them), but it'd probably be advisable to leave them out of the picture until it gets somewhat worse. Again, feel free to correct me here.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I don't understand your post.
Hahaha. He's just joking with me.

Honestly, I see this relationship as going nowhere, especially if YOU had to find all this out for them. Communication, which is the most important thing in a relationship, doesn't seem to be very present. Also, as someone else said, there are just too many conflicts of interest. And soon, he'll have an international job. That can be very hard on a good relationship. It will be very awful for what kind of relationship they have now.

And ok, let me get this straight. She doesn't work or do anything, yet she wants him to help out around the house more? Seriously? If she isn't paying anything to live, then I think it's a fair trade that she does the housework to make up for it. What does she do? I think this is unfair of her to gripe about. Housework is not more tiring than real work AND school.

There really are just too many conflicts. I can't see him being able to change his schedule, seeing as it's his future. She'll have to learn to work with it, or realize that they just can't get along in a relationship anymore. It's tough ****, but the truth is the truth. The longer it's denied, the more difficult it's going to be. Some people really don't have time for a relationship.

I'll note that I agree with Quilt and Miharu's points, too.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I'd say you'd probably want to stay out of it. I mean, unless this situation is really encroaching on your life too much, it seems like it would be better to let them sort it out for themselves, even at the expense of it getting ugly or drawn out. But by throwing yourself into the middle of it, you might come off as a meddler to both sides, and incur the wrath of both parties. And that would be no good.

Pef7

Smash Cadet
This is quite the situation your friend has got here. I am in agreeance that this relationship is going downhill. The conflict of interests, the conflict of schedules, and the lack of seeing things eye to eye. It seems like they are wanting different things out of the relationship and without communicating, it won't get any better.
The part that sucks is that if you try to do much, you will be seen as the bad guy who is trying to pry them apart. Whether necessary or not.
It might be better for them to take a break in the relationship, to see if being apart for long enough allows them to communicate better.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The only thing I got out of that was that Knutts seems to be a really random and sketchy third wheel and that both parties are rather childish in this matter

Top Bottom