• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

It's not only about the sweetspot. A Roy guide.

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
spacedcartoons submitted a new guide:

It's not only about the sweetspot. A Roy guide. - Roy

Roy, our favorite boy. Anyway, in this guide i'm going to describe how to use Roy's janky hitboxes to rack up %, and get you some pretty swift kills. Mind you, I don't know all of the terminology, nor do I consider myself the best Roy but i'll do the best I can. First, i'll give a description of his moves.

Jab - A close counter slash that can parry pretty much every move in the game, even projectiles if timed right. You'd want to use this move if your opponent is running up to you, or trying...
Read more about this guide...

Christian Goez

Smash Rookie
The part where you said that roy is heavy is pretty false, tbh marth is heavier its just that roy falls so much faster and his gravity is very very high. as a roy main tho this guide is pretty good

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
The part where you said that roy is heavy is pretty false, tbh marth is heavier its just that roy falls so much faster and his gravity is very very high. as a roy main tho this guide is pretty good
Ah, sorry about that. Nice to see another Roy main. As I said though, i'm not too familiar with the terminology or how to properly use it, but thank you for your input! After some lab time, i'll be adding more as time goes along.

CT_Emerl

Smash Cadet
NIce as a roy main this is a very important guide :D. Im starting to get into melee and I like roy more than marth. There aren't many roy fans that I know of besides Sethlon

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
NIce as a roy main this is a very important guide :D. Im starting to get into melee and I like roy more than marth. There aren't many roy fans that I know of besides Sethlon
Thanks for checking it out. Roy is better than most people give him credit for, you just have to work for the win a bit harder. And yeah, Sethlon's Roy is beast. I'd love to have a match against him one of these days.

vZakat

Half Genie
I finally got a chance to read this guide. It's okay but some of the things in it are a bit questionable or wrong. Things like saying dtilt is not CCable is not true at all. Utilt isn't that great of a move either. It has too many recovery frames for it to be practical aside from swag combos. Same with usmash. Nair has too much cool down as well for only the first hit to be practical.

Also the combos you listed are all rather unsafe and unwise.

"Down tilt > Jump + Side B + Up Side B" is unsafe because side b doesn't have enough hit stun for you to recover and get back to a safe position.

"Down tilt > Up smash (Will cause a slight pop up) > Side smash" I honestly can't think of a situation where dtilt would combo into usmash. Any sort of DI would put them far away enough to jump away before usmash came out.

"Down tilt > Dash + Up air (The dash is to guarantee you land out of your opponents range when you land)" Nair or fair would be MUCH better to do after dtilt because of the positional advantage it would give. Uair can be used on fast fallers followed by a grab but the move is much more situational than the other two.

"Down tilt > Up tilt > Up smash" Again DIing the dtilt would kill this combo. DIing the utilt would stop the usmash follow up as well.

You don't seem to take into account DI or other things your opponent can do to get around you. Your lack of knowledge and experience shows. I like that you are trying and I think with more studying and playing that you could have some good things to write about.

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
I finally got a chance to read this guide. It's okay but some of the things in it are a bit questionable or wrong. Things like saying dtilt is not CCable is not true at all. Utilt isn't that great of a move either. It has too many recovery frames for it to be practical aside from swag combos. Same with usmash. Nair has too much cool down as well for only the first hit to be practical.

Also the combos you listed are all rather unsafe and unwise.

"Down tilt > Jump + Side B + Up Side B" is unsafe because side b doesn't have enough hit stun for you to recover and get back to a safe position.

"Down tilt > Up smash (Will cause a slight pop up) > Side smash" I honestly can't think of a situation where dtilt would combo into usmash. Any sort of DI would put them far away enough to jump away before usmash came out.

"Down tilt > Dash + Up air (The dash is to guarantee you land out of your opponents range when you land)" Nair or fair would be MUCH better to do after dtilt because of the positional advantage it would give. Uair can be used on fast fallers followed by a grab but the move is much more situational than the other two.

"Down tilt > Up tilt > Up smash" Again DIing the dtilt would kill this combo. DIing the utilt would stop the usmash follow up as well.

You don't seem to take into account DI or other things your opponent can do to get around you. Your lack of knowledge and experience shows. I like that you are trying and I think with more studying and playing that you could have some good things to write about.
Ahh, thanks for taking the time out to read. Yeah, unfortunately I don't play many actual people, so most of the combos work on bots. The up smash into forward smash combo though only works if up smash hits them only once, which happens pretty frequently when you do it right after down tilt, or if you're fast enough, dacus up smash. But yeah, thank you for the constructive criticism!

lukel1127

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5343-8288-6224
Ahh, thanks for taking the time out to read. Yeah, unfortunately I don't play many actual people, so most of the combos work on bots. The up smash into forward smash combo though only works if up smash hits them only once, which happens pretty frequently when you do it right after down tilt, or if you're fast enough, dacus up smash. But yeah, thank you for the constructive criticism!
You can't DACUS in Melee, it would be a jump canceled up-smash.

Anyways, thanks for the guide, pretty helpful (if a little inaccurate). Hope to see you add more in the future.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I think a lot of misinformation about Roy being better than he is stems from Roy mains feeling like nobody likes Roy.
Roy is so pretty, there are few people who aren't a fan of him. The thing is that Roy doesn't bring home the money.

And this is a nice guide. As vZakat said, Roy's Dtilt CAN be crouch canceled. "Crouch canceling" just means that you receive reduced damage/knockback if you're hit while crouch canceling. A corollary to crouch canceling is the retaliation that most people just call crouch canceling. The only moves that can't be retaliatory-crouch-canceled are ones that send you down (meteor, spikes, semi-spikes, and other moves like Sheik's needles which send at an angle horizontal or less). This is b/c the retaliation is do to canceling all hitstun by landing out of the attack by holding down and Automatic-Smash-DI'ing down into the ground. For this to happen, the attack needs to momentarily lift you off the ground.
But other than that, this is a good guide.

If you want to include guaranteed followups, you should talk about the "stupid combo" - Uair into sweetspot Fsmash. The reason for it's name is thus: if Marth wants to do it, he needs to L-cancel, immediately dash away, and then do a Pivot Fsmash at the right moment to sweetspot it. It's stupid for Roy coz all he has to do is L-cancel and then Fsmash in the right direction.

Last edited:

spacedcartoons

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of misinformation about Roy being better than he is stems from Roy mains feeling like nobody likes Roy.
Roy is so pretty, there are few people who aren't a fan of him. The thing is that Roy doesn't bring home the money.

And this is a nice guide. As vZakat said, Roy's Dtilt CAN be crouch canceled. "Crouch canceling" just means that you receive reduced damage/knockback if you're hit while crouch canceling. A corollary to crouch canceling is the retaliation that most people just call crouch canceling. The only moves that can't be retaliatory-crouch-canceled are ones that send you down (meteor, spikes, semi-spikes, and other moves like Sheik's needles which send at an angle horizontal or less). This is b/c the retaliation is do to canceling all hitstun by landing out of the attack by holding down and Automatic-Smash-DI'ing down into the ground. For this to happen, the attack needs to momentarily lift you off the ground.
But other than that, this is a good guide.

If you want to include guaranteed followups, you should talk about the "stupid combo" - Uair into sweetspot Fsmash. The reason for it's name is thus: if Marth wants to do it, he needs to L-cancel, immediately dash away, and then do a Pivot Fsmash at the right moment to sweetspot it. It's stupid for Roy coz all he has to do is L-cancel and then Fsmash in the right direction.
Never knew of his up air into f-smash...hmm, gonna test this out in casuals next week. Thanks for reading, I must expand my knowledge a bit more.

Top Bottom