• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's like a 'Rate My Marth' thread, but with moar Blitz

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Ok so I watched your match with Falcon on FD. You have quite a bit to work on, dude. Most of your mistakes arise from a lack of experience of playing the game itself. For example, you use forward smash not only too much but at the wrong times. I saw you try a forward smash when falcon was clearly above your head. Then, there was this part were you had Falcon off the stage. You hit him with a forward smash taking his double jump. But instead of forward smashing again to take the stock you miss the opportunity to kill him by mis timing your down tilts. But the good news is by recording your vids you can actually see your mistakes and get a better understanding of were you went wrong.

I also notice you flinch/spot dodge quite a bit. Falcon's dash dancing was making you spot dodge when you two were practically on opposite sides of the stage. I know his dash dancing is scary but it shouldn't freak you out that much with such a massive gap. If you see Falcon dash dance like that, you as Marth answer to this by dashing towards him and do a spaced down tilt. At low percents, a tipper down tilt to grab ***** Falcon. Oh and stop using shield breaker as an edge guard, well at least standing on the stage anyway. Because while you are charging, Falcon can DI his Up B very easily to avoid this, unlike Fox/Falco who have harder time escaping this method. If you REALLY want to use shield breaker as an edge guard (although i recommend you do this when you get better in general) you can jump of stage and do a non charger shield breaker on your foe and Up B back.

Speaking of Up B, learn to sweet spot. I can't stress this enough. Not sweet spotting will get you killed very easily when fighting better opponents. You also need to work on your SHFFL game. You were doing a lot of full jump attacking, some which were the wrong aerial at times. I'm assuming those full jump dairs were your attempts to kill Falcon with short hop dairs , yeah? To be honest that is a very obvious approach, so try not to do it as much. You are better off wavedashing onto the edge and doing a ledge hop dair for a kill.

Spacing is another issue but I think I left you a lot of things to think about first. Hopefully someone will go into spacing for you, but you really want me to explain let me know. But don't feel bad, I'm not telling you all this to bash on you. I told you all this information because I want you to become the best you can possibly be, you know? If I didn't care I would have given you a two liner response. So just keep in mind everything I have told you (along with advice of future posts) and should be just fine. If you have any questions about what I have said just let me know.

Blitzmidfielder

Smash Journeyman
By no means did I think you were bashing. That was possibly the most well-worded and informative post I've ever gotten to a rating thread.

... Could I have your explanation of spacing, anyway?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Use F-Airs mostly to space against Falcon.

U-Throw throws off their balance. At higher percentages, chain this together with U-Tilts and then tippered U-Airs for more percent.

Of course, you could always camp at the edge and just throw him off. LOL.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
By no means did I think you were bashing. That was possibly the most well-worded and informative post I've ever gotten to a rating thread.

... Could I have your explanation of spacing, anyway?
Hey thanks dude! Sorry I took forever to reply to you. Ok sure, I'll be happy to explain spacing to you. Lets say for example you are about to do forward air. You jump and press forward on the analog + A. This method isn't recommended because using the analog stick plus the A button makes Marth move forward in the air while executing the aerial. This method will make you prone to shield grabbing. To overcome this, we use spacing. To do a spaced aerial, you jump and instead of using the analog stick to do the aerial, you actually hold back on the analog while Marth is in the air. As you hold back on the analog stick to stop Marth from moving forward you then flick the yellow C stick forward to perform the forward air (fair). Using the C stick for the aerial and analog for holding back allows you to use your aeirals without moving forward at the same time, thus decreasing the chance of you becoming shield grabbed. I hope this helps. XD

Top Bottom