• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's diegesis, not biegesis

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Link to original post: [drupal=5081]It's diegesis, not biegesis[/drupal]

I think sandbox games with bi-axial moral systems are just inherently flawed. The main reason, among many others, is that a binary split between moral choices isn't, I guess you could say, <soluble> in the typical narrative stew, though they try to force them to be.

The reason being, that a the split creates subjunctivity; a split reality. In a narrative, if your aim is to create an effectual story, then a potential split in canon, to me anyway, completely dissolves any potential finality the story can have, greatly subtracting from its emotional impact. The only way to reconcile that is by acknowledging that the player's choices don't matter and are non-canonical, in which case the entire choice system is vacuous.

So you either have a useless system, or a narrative ruined by potentiality. A good example, though probably really trite, is when
Aeris dies in FFVII.
Sure, a lot of people wanted her to be resurrected, but I think it's inarguable that the bittersweet nature of the reality of her death contributed largely to the cathartic suspension and irrevocable finality that made the event have such an impact on those that experienced it. Had an option existed to resurrect her, there would've been a diegetic split and I sincerely doubt that her death would've held as much sway because there'd be no obligation to acknowledge the canon where she died.

I find that narratives work kind of like a person's acceptance of something. It's only when you're pigeonholed that you accept something as reality, and I think the same applies to a narrative, insofar as the narrative's "reality" is concerned. Finality is a necessity in the making of most narratives. A backstory can still be neat and interesting without it, but ultimately, it will not be an effective or poignant narrative in and of itself.

Though, I also wanna say that if the game isn't as predicated on story as RPGs are, like say, I dunno, Mega Man, then alternate endings can be entertaining, as its attraction isn't necessarily an empathic relationship formed with the characters and diegesis.

In my opinion, this is how stories should flow in terms of splitting canons:

| - linear, no splits in canon. Example:
Tales of the Abyss

\/ - Split in canon where acknowledgment of a given ending isn't compulsory, which ruins everything. Example:
Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.

/\
\/ - Canon splits, but ultimately yields one final result. Not preferable, but acceptable as far as creating a cohesive world and story goes if done with taste and care. Though, it sometimes can be an extraordinarily effective technique if performed with mastery. Example:
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

The supreme irony present in such an ambitious presentation is that should the player be aware of the canonical split, that creates an existential conflict that reduces an otherwise fine narrative into a farce, thus less believable, and by extension, less immersive. It's the soi-disant "mistrial" of the video game world, in that which the mind has been tainted with aberrant information and thus has to be reset.

All things considered, I think it's just best to, in most cases, to rarely, if ever, leave the decision-making to the player. If the canon splits, but two separate realities are acknowledged rather than two potential ones by virtue of player choice, then it can be done, albeit with special conditions to maintain the cohesion of what's ultimately the purpose of a narrative. When the player has that much control, however, to generate and acknowledge two canons, then there's no obligation to recognize either canon as the "real" canon.

Another comfortable analogy is dreaming. Ever dream you were about to, I dunno, score with a chick you were into and wake up, only to find the distinct irreality of the dream makes a conscious continuation of it nearly impossible and ultimately not at all satisfying?

In conclusion, I think that while first-person decision-making has its place, its a very synthetic way to immerse a player. I'll demonstrate with an analogy: has a person ever felt catharsis from an ad-lib in such a way that they did from a masterfully-written book or play, barring those with some kind of schizoid personality disorder or profound mental ***********? True moral freedom in something like D&D would be different. However, games like the ones in question now have an extremely obvious prescription, wherein you're filling in a few blanks with a word bank, effectively turning improvisation and ad-libs into the beloved adolescent pastime glorified mad-libs.

It's an admirable ambition, but one that's ultimately condemned to failure for too many reasons.

As a little addendum here, this obviously doesn't apply to games that don't aim to be narratives. However, I'm under the impression that most WRPGs (nothing against them in principle, they just happened to have their hand in the cookie while I was on my verbal warpath of analytic criticism) pride themselves on elaborate storytelling.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I can agree with you but also disagree with you.

Remember those books as a kid where it was like: "You can now either save the princess (go to page 248) or turn back (go to page 298)" and you made the choices. I really enjoyed those books. The fact of the matter is, they were for pure enjoyment and not meant as works of art that you got all involved in.

That is what I also think is the point in gaming. If you have a game that isn't all about story and character development etc. but more about entertainment value, be a hero, be great and make canon and make my choices matter! I love that, it makes me feel like I am that much more in control of the game. This is generally the great attraction of MMORPG, they hardly have a story and are basically all about customizing your character with canon and constant decision-making.

Then there is interactive gaming, which seems to the trend nowadays. More and more does the individual matter and is gaming about basically pulling someone into the game. What better way to do this than make his choices MATTER, or even present them with a choice. You're no longer playing a character, you are now playing you.

Well, as I'm rambling on, time to wrap it up. Basically, it's up to the developer's intention. If you want to create a tight storyline and have it all thought out and it's the only way it can go, then god no, canon is awful. But if the intention is to give the gamer a more personal expierence, splitting up the story and making decisions matter could very well be a great addition.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I have to agree, but when people in video games make it a "choose what happens!" kind of "story", they aren't doing it so much for the story but for the fun of it (considering it is a video game, eh?) and the personal attachment one attains for making their personal story good (I want to meet my own goals and/or be thought of this way). The importance of canon isn't at all in their minds when they do it, and they ultimately (highly likely) recognize this and sacrifice it for the two reasons mentioned above.

As for your first spoiler tag, it is a bit useless since it is a tad ambiguous. How is the person suppose to know it is about FFVII? It makes it seem like everyone should avoid looking at it because they aren't hinted at what is to be revealed, and thus they are unaware if they already have the knowledge or care at all.

Edit: I was able to understand your post, however, it was noticeably verbose and stretched out a point that could have been summed up quite easily. Although it is indeed your User Blog, so by all means do it in whatever style you so please.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I can agree with you but also disagree with you.

Remember those books as a kid where it was like: "You can now either save the princess (go to page 248) or turn back (go to page 298)" and you made the choices. I really enjoyed those books. The fact of the matter is, they were for pure enjoyment and not meant as works of art that you got all involved in.
That's not my point though. I'm not saying those things can't be enjoyable, I'm saying that games that do that subtract from their potential to be cohesive narratives for reason I mentioned in the OP. Not everything has to be a glorious work of art, but the games I speak of are, most of the time, anyway, clearly aimed to be.

That is what I also think is the point in gaming. If you have a game that isn't all about story and character development etc. but more about entertainment value, be a hero, be great and make canon and make my choices matter! I love that, it makes me feel like I am that much more in control of the game. This is generally the great attraction of MMORPG, they hardly have a story and are basically all about customizing your character with canon and constant decision-making.
I understand that, but again, not quite the point. It's not that those games can't be attractive, it's that their value as narratives is shot by virtue of the fact that two potential realities relieves the player of the obligation to acknowledge any given canon as the "real" canon. Should the player be aware of that split, that creates an existential conflict which boils down to the absurd, making the story less believable and by extension, less immersive.

Then there is interactive gaming, which seems to the trend nowadays. More and more does the individual matter and is gaming about basically pulling someone into the game. What better way to do this than make his choices MATTER, or even present them with a choice. You're no longer playing a character, you are now playing you.
See above.

Well, as I'm rambling on, time to wrap it up. Basically, it's up to the developer's intention. If you want to create a tight storyline and have it all thought out and it's the only way it can go, then god no, canon is awful. But if the intention is to give the gamer a more personal expierence, splitting up the story and making decisions matter could very well be a great addition.
Though a bit off topic, I think that while first-person decision-making has its place, its a very synthetic way to immerse a player. Because this is an entirely separate topic, I'll just make my point with an analogy: has a person ever felt catharsis from a mad-lib in such a way that they did from a masterfully-written book or play? True moral freedom in something like D&D would be different; that would be <ad-lib>. However, games like the ones in question now have an extremely obvious prescription, wherein you do nothing but fill in a few blanks with a word bank.

As for your first spoiler tag, it is a bit useless since it is a tad ambiguous. How is the person suppose to know it is about FFVII? It makes it seem like everyone should avoid looking at it because they aren't hinted at what is to be revealed, and thus they are unaware if they already have the knowledge or care at all.
Knowledge of the character isn't important. The illocutionary force of the paragraph needs only knowledge that someone, somewhere died and was left dead.

Edit: I was able to understand your post, however, it was noticeably verbose and stretched out a point that could have been summed up quite easily. Although it is indeed your User Blog, so by all means do it in whatever style you so please.
Bach's Partita no.2 in d-minor could've been summed up with a D minor > G sus4 > A major progression, but it wasn't.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Music is beautiful though, and at the time people tried to make things as complicated as possible to impress an audience. That example isn't parallel at all. D:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Extremely, can't argue with that. However, complexity and terms do not equal that. If that was your goal, write that post again in prose and paint some pictures in our minds with your thoughts.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Link to original post: [drupal=5081]It's diegesis, not biegesis[/drupal]| - linear, no splits in canon. Example: Tales of the Abyss

\/ - Split in canon where acknowledgment of a given ending isn't compulsory, which ruins everything. Example: Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.

/\
\/ - Canon splits, but ultimately yields one final result. Not preferable, but acceptable as far as creating a cohesive world and story goes if done with taste and care. Though, it sometimes can be an extraordinarily effective technique if.
\/ - Split in canon where acknowledgment of a given ending isn't compulsory, which ruins everything. Example: Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, etc.
Elder Scrolls
Man why you gotta be hatin on Elder Scrolls?

In all seriousness though I agree with you. Though you have to remember that everyone's preferences are different. For example, I cannot sit down and play FF7. I just can't. I have tried but it is like reading the Wind in the Willows or The Divine Comedy (k, maybe not the Divine Comedy but you get the point). It is very long and tedious.... kinda like DBZ. Doesn't mean it isn't good.

IMO, a captivating story with intriguing and unique characters beats choices any day. For Example, Red Dead Redemption. A perfect unison of both linear and split as you call it, is KOTOR (imo).
BTW, you are right about Elder Scrolls... or Bethesda period. Though they have been getting better.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Oh, no, I getcha. Not saying that FF7 suites everyone's tastes, but just that the scene I spoke of in the OP wouldn't have been nearly as meaningful if the canon was split in two.

And I'm really glad to know that someone agrees me with me lol. I know it's not a terribly popular opinion.

Top Bottom