• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's been awhile....

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Love the CF matchup myself. Just way too much fun. I don't really have a problem with Sheiks these days. Is it anything specific that they do that throws ya off?

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
It is more complicated than that.

Granted, I am willing to say that for 95%+ of everyone who plays M2, you are correct.

However, I am also willing to throw out there that 95% or more of Mewtwo players have not played him long enough or in tourneys enough to reach any level of a truly competitive nature. Due to his tier rating, most players here play him on the side and for fun, with no absolute dedication for making him tourney viable since they feel that it is impossible and or not worth the effort; because of this, most documented Mewtwo knowledge either is overlooking several aspects of his game, or is inaccurate altogether.

Look at Taj for an example. His Mewtwo has no problem taking out the aforementioned characters, even if highly skilled individuals are playing them. This shows right there that if played right, Mewtwo can handle those match-ups at least decently well. His Mewtwo is not the only one that is capable of this.
I agree with dguy. It may not mean much, but all of my friends' marths do better than their "mains" against my mewtwo. One mains link, one mains fox, and two main doctor mario. The rest aren't really any good.
I guess my point is that given a small skill difference on a lower level of play, mewtwo does well against many matchups that would be suicide at a pro level.

Just for the record: Mewtwo is my anti-shiek right now. (Man I play some terrible shieks ~_~)

quak

Smash Champion
Love the CF matchup myself. Just way too much fun. I don't really have a problem with Sheiks these days. Is it anything specific that they do that throws ya off?
worst things listed off in priority

1.needles
2.grabs/grab combos
3. tilts
4.upair

dguy6789

Smash Lord
worst things listed off in priority

1.needles
2.grabs/grab combos
3. tilts
4.upair

1. Needles can be a bit of a bother, but they really are not that big of a deal. Most needle shots can be very easily predicted. I am assuming you have problems avoiding the random single ones and not the fully charged set. A Sheik will in all probability be throwing needles at you when she believes you are trying to approach, or to stop you from approaching. If that is the case, short hop teleport will work wonders for getting on top of a Sheik that is throwing needles. If you time it just right, you can hit her before she is able to hit you back. (When I short hop teleport to get to someone, I usually follow with either an ftilt or a dtilt as both of those moves are very quick and have the range to hit the enemy even if I do not land immediately next to them.) Even if you are a bit slow, you can crouch cancel and usually still hit her. Also, during the fight, spam your own shadow balls. Mix it up a bit by doing short hop shadow ball as well, to change the elevation of the attack slightly. The sheik will usually either throw her own needles at you, trying to pop them, or she will try to do one of the various methods of avoiding them. Plenty of the time, the Sheik will throw a needle and it will go past the shadow ball instead of hitting it; this is where you shield to take no damage and the Sheik gets hit. A small shadow ball does not look like a serious threat to anyone. A lot of the time, they will spend very little effort avoiding them and consequently, you will hit them a lot.

2. Grabs are a bit trickier. Sheik will down throw you nearly every time. There are several methods for fighting this. If the Sheik is trying to chain grab you at low percent, do not DI. Simply get in the air and mash the A button until you get a neutral air out. You should get out of a chain grab right after the second grab every time. This only works at low percentages. If the Sheik is trying a grab combo, then it gets much trickier. To me, her up air is by far her most dangerous aerial. Many people do everything they can to avoid her fair, but with M2, I would rather take a fair than an uair if given the choice. If she throws you, you DI the way she is facing to receive a fair, you DI behind her to either receive a bair or an uair. The best scenario possible is being hit by the bair, but they won’t do it too much once they realize they can usually hit you with an uair. The best thing to do to beat grabs is to make her miss her grab and punish. Try and predict when she will grab you can just dtilt her when she runs at you. Wave dash back to attack sometimes works, but a good Sheik will keep running once you wave dashed back and still grab you. (Spot dodge is not a valid grab avoiding technique with Mewtwo.)

3. Tilts are the easiest. Many may disagree, but Mewtwo’s Tilts = Sheik’s tilts when fighting 1on1 with each other. You can counter her tilts with your own with a great deal of effectiveness. If you are both spamming down tilt, Sheik will lose her footing before Mewtwo does. Sheik’s ftilt is a bit tricky, but you should counter it by doing your own ftilt, do your own before she does hers when possible.

4. For up air, I just recommend not attacking Sheik from above when possible. Use your teleport intelligently to get back to the ground when you are high up and without a jump. It is all mind games here, as the Sheik is going to try and predict what you are going to do. If you accidentally land straight on the ground without the lag being cancelled, you are inviting the Sheik to come and punish, so it is a little tricky.

Hope this helps a bit.

quak

Smash Champion
thanks for the input dguy, although i wasn't asking for help :p

i am suffiecent in playing sheik players, but your advice is solid, i would still like to add it to my guide if that's okay, cause i think it would help newbies

i'll elaborte on the things that get me with sheik

1. needles-playing against a really good sheik, they'll take advantage of the platforms to needle cancel and combo out of them, like they'll run off the platform, throw out a single needle, then go for like either a grab or a tilt. And this is all done in a split second, so they'res virtually no reaction time. My only options are either taking the needle, then getting grabed, or sheilding the needle, and getting grabed.

2.Grabs/Grab combos- here i really only meant getting grabbed, and then getting comboed out of the grab by tilts or aerials, the d-throw stuns you alot, and the only thing you can do is DI away, and mash the fair hoping she doesn't hit you first.

3.Tilts- if you at high enough damage that you can't crouch cancel, it sucks, and ur boned because it's usually followed by an upair

4. Upair- well, it's the upair, its fast, has alot of knockback, and alot of reach, the only thing you can do to avoid it is airdodge or teleport.

these reasons are why i pick fox falco or doc instead of mewtwo

...so can i quote ur block of text?

Top Bottom