• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Item Jump Cancel

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
It seems that Ness can cancel his jumps by throwing an item. A few stages (Green Greens, Distant Planet) have items, as well as ZSS, Peach, and Diddy.

I tested with Samus (relatively normal jumping) and Olimar (funky second jump like Ness), but Ness is the only one I tried it seems can do this (I did not try Lucas, though).

Among the tricks I figured out were that on Distant Planet, the bottle caps bounce. So you can doublejump rapidly, throw the bottle cap down, nair (catching the cap), autocancelling the nair by landing, and repeating.

You don't always need the bottle caps, either. You can also just mess with opponents by cancelling the doublejump and fairing immediately afterwards when you would have missed them.

Has anyone else noticed this?

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
its called the JCT (Jump Cancel Throw), and it's pretty famous in other char boards mainly diddy and the links(cuz you can slide throw your bombs if you do this). it doesn't have to be on a slope which you seem to be talking about, it can be anywhere, including flat surfaces such as FD. and also I believe every character can do it, just the timing is different.

Dekar173

Justice Man
its called the JCT (Jump Cancel Throw), and it's pretty famous in other char boards mainly diddy and the links(cuz you can slide throw your bombs if you do this). it doesn't have to be on a slope which you seem to be talking about, it can be anywhere, including flat surfaces such as FD. and also I believe every character can do it, just the timing is different.
You're thinking of something else, what he's describing is canceling your jump MID jump, you're thinking of when you're sliding slightly from boost throwing ;P

OP's input:

Jump > DJ > throw

Your input:

Jump > immediately throw

Both are useful, and both are known :O

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I hadn't heard about it anywhere, but dribbling (like in basketball?) sounds like a good description of what I was doing.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
I knew of this, found out about it when fighting a Diddy player. I had one of his bananas and was hit off the stage. I used my double jump to recover and then threw the banana upward to deter my opponent from gimping me. The throw canceled the momentum of the DJ and made me gimp myself. :| In short, be mindful of this when offstage, don't make my mistake.

I didn't know this wasn't well known, I just assumed it was covered in the list of Ness AT's.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
I gimped myself at a tournament recently because I forgot I could do this -_-.

It's not really useful at all for Ness...if it could somehow lead into a DJC'ed uair though...:D

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
If you're holding an item, you could rapidly jump, doublejump, throw it down and immediately upair and i think you'll catch it...

lemme test this.

EDIT: OK just tested.

You CAN use this to repeat uairs rapidly, about 1.5x faster.

The easy way:
1. Hold down on the control stick (holding an item)
2. Jump
3. Buffer a down-throw
4. C-stick an upair
5. Repeat

The jump is canceled, and you fit the fastfalled upair in the time before you fall this way.

The harder way: (not sure if it's faster, because I couldn't do it as consistently)
1. Hold down on the control stick (holding an item)
2. Jump, wait a bit (this is where the error is involved), double jump
3. Down-throw at just the right time
4. C-stick an upair
5. Repeat

This seemed to be faster (or maybe it's my mind playing tricks), but the upair would sometimes come a bit too late and the hitbox would not appear before landing.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
The second jump can be canceled with this. I'll mess around with this and see what I can find.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
I did some more testing, and it turns out that the 2nd method works with all items (my timing improved) but the first method only works with some: not all items cancel the first jump. So you do need to DJC. However, it's extremely difficult with Green Greens apples, because they hardly bounce. That means that you have to pick it up afterwards, or else cancel the jump so low you risk not letting the hitbox activate on Uair. If all else fails, you can do it with nair or bair or others, but uair seems to be in demand.

On Distant Planet, though, you have plenty of time because the bottle caps bounce a lot.

Too bad bombs explode, bananas just sit there, and turnips disappear when they hit the ground. You can do this with ZSS suit pieces, though (could be very useful)

Top Bottom