• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It looks like gimping tether recoveries was 100% intentional...

papermarkis

Smash Lord
When this was first discovered, many thought it was a huge over-sight on the developer's part. Certainly they wouldn't purposely put in such a huge weakness for those characters. Along with this discovery, there was also the finding of numerous glitches in the game. People asked whether things like this would be fixed in the NA version of the game, however, some believed those glitches would not be fixed due to maybe causing problems during international wi-fi matches. However, the NA version has fixed some of the glitches that were found, however, the complete gimping of tether recoveries is still in. So now I'm thinking that it was likely intentional. Now since it may have been intentional, is there actually some way around it that we just haven't discovered yet?

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Zamus has her down B which can allow her to get back to the stage without using her tether.

Olimar is already powerful, he needs to have some weakness. He can knock off opponents by throwing a purple pikmin right before he uses his tether, which frees up the edge.

Link/YLink- Up-B over tether....

Bulbasaur- Side-B knocks those off the edge, allowing you to use your tether.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Don't get caught beneath the stage. Because of the floatiness in Brawl this usually isn't that hard to avoid. It really acts to balance characters like Olimar who otherwise would probably be overpowered. Also if you DI correctly you have an even better chance of not losing stocks because of a tether recovery. It's really not that big of a deal.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
not all character can have godlike recovery.

in melee, falco had probably the second worst recovery in the game, but he was still one of the best characters.

people will deal with it. the easiness of the gimping doesn't break the game or make it less balanced, whether or not the developers intended it.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Yeah, tethers are so gimped.

They only autosweetspot.

Quit whining, you main MK anyways.

Mama

Smash Ace
Lol "quit whining you main MK anyways"

In my opinion making tether recoveries ONLY auto sweet spot was one of the stupidest things Sakurai could have done to the core game mechanics. He's an idiot for that one. Link should still be able to hook shot onto anything and not only hook onto the ledge of a stage.

But I don't really care since I don't use a tether recovery character atm.

Cheerio

Smash Cadet
After deciding to main olimar ive had so many issues with trying to get back on the field using his tether recovery. However, with such obstacles you eventually learn to avoid and find other ways to get back on if someone is hugging the edge.

Mama

Smash Ace
After deciding to main olimar ive had so many issues with trying to get back on the field using his tether recovery. However, with such obstacles you eventually learn to avoid and find other ways to get back on if someone is hugging the edge.
Indeed. I only see it really being a problem if you're trying to come up from below. But, again, practice could reduce the likelihood of ending up in such a situation.

Nemireck

Smash Cadet
I took to maining Olimar and was worried that the tether-gimping would be a huge issue... While most of the players I've played on smashboards don't even try to edge-hog, the two guys that DID edge-hog against me make me believe that Olimar has enough options to overcome this disadvantage a few different ways...

While it IS an issue, I've found that you can usually DI in such a way that you don't need to tether, and I've also taken great enjoyment in spiking a few of my opponents off the BF ledge with an Up-B so that even if I die, they die as well. Tossing a purple Pikmin can help if you have one ready and/or have enough time to whistle it to the front. It's very important to know your whistle order and where it's sitting so you know how many whistles to purple. Olimar's tether also lifts him up a bit, so you can sometimes float OVER the edge-hogger instead.

In the end, even if you don't kill them with the tether, it's a free 10% damage and they have to recover while you respawn. I've found that it's not too hard to grab 2-3 pikmin really quickly and then punish them as they finish their recovery.

cheifrocka

Smash Apprentice
while having a tether is annoying when trying to counter an edgeguard, they're pure sex FOR edgegaurding.

tether - drop - bair (or whatever) immediate tether, rinse, repeat, gimp'd

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
tehter recoveries are screwed. a lil smart thingking and planning tho. lol but all the charas who have them are good so... they all need that

St. Viers

Smash Champion
If you are being forced to tether recover with olimar, you're doing something wrong:

1. DI up, drift over the stage and down b to prevent being hit off again.

(If too much horizantal knockback) you should have time to get a purple pikmin to the front of the line.

But I definately think that it was conscious choice to have it that way, so stop whining people...;)

Kuroneko

Smash Apprentice
This is the worst thing in the game. While the tether people have to do creative stuff to be below or on level with the stage, just to get them off the edge to tether, anyone else can just be hogging it. Which is harder? Simply to hug the edge or to frantically get them off it far away, while still having time to get yourself back up? I liked Zero Suit a lot, her combos were nice, but I'm playing people I am good at and working on playing people I want to play (besides her).

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
tether recoveries are good as hell, idk why people think they're gimped. maybe they don't realize that it's the only way to actually edge hog without invincibility frames??? yea, they can be edge hogged easily, but in retrospect, they can edge hog everyone else like 10x better. it's just that people never seem to do that so of course they wouldn't think about it that way.

Finch

Smash Lord
Most people don't seem to know this yet, but you can't sweetspot the edge if a tether is attached to it, so characters like falco or whoever can be easily edgehogged just by hanging below the stage for a bit. Vengence is good.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i mean, tether recoveries are retardedly easy to gimp.
but it doesn't break the game
as noted by the overhwelming number of zss and olimar mains

robman1

Smash Cadet
yeh tell me about the olimar mains.....

didnt even know about smashboards when i decided to main him and it looks already like hes mained us....

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
i agree olimar and ivysaur feel the pain of this badly. ZSS has alot of options to prevent edgehogging with her side b, B, down B(also off of bottom of stage), Wall jump(off bottom of stage), An expert player of her can't be edgehogged easily.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Reading through this topic, I am reassured that I will be fine playing Olimar and PT and not have to worry about edgehoggers.

Tyros

Smash Cadet
It's already been noted elsewhere that you can Toadstool Jump off of edgehogging characters, right? (Or has it?) This means, that if you're going to fall slightly short... just bounce on the head of your hogger. I've had this done to me loads of times, actually.

- Tyros

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
The double however made me giggle, but I'm wondering what the glitches were and what was fixed, because I think this statement is false.
I doubt its true, because people can play between the 2 versions. If thats true, then the game must be the same. A glitch fixed on one side would ruin compatibility.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
and I've also taken great enjoyment in spiking a few of my opponents off the BF ledge with an Up-B so that even if I die, they die as well.
Doing this as ZSS rocks. I've one matches like this with both my opponent and me at one stock apiece. Plasma Whip is such a beast.

Top Bottom