• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Issues with Olimar's Pikmin recovery

Ween

Smash Cadet
I've played the game a few times and I've noticed that his up air attack stays there for a bit so I'm guessing (I haven't tried it myself) that if your underneath them you can use it it'll hit them after their invincibility frames so you can use up b after that. I'm not sure how long his up air lasts though

Yokipi

Smash Cadet
Well, I don't personally own the game, but yesterday, I finally got some experience myself at playing Brawl. Of course, I used Olimar a ton. Maybe it's because we played on close-edge stages, but I rarely had a problem with edge hogging. A few times the short length of Olimar's chain annoyed me, but other than that, his recovery was fine. I think this is because his DI is so flexible. Since he's light-weight, if launched any distance up, he can easily make it back to the middle. Even if he's launched horizontally, sometimes you can just tilt your control stick right back and recover (since B-up provides some upward movement) without grabbing the ledge. If you have to grab the ledge, and they try to edge hog you, if you press B-up before they get to it (and even better hit them while they're in the air), they're in a very bad position. If they have jumps to get back up, you could make it back on the platform before them and edge guard them now. If they don't, and try to attack you while you're on the chain, you can climb up while they go down to hit you.

Anyways, I think Olimar's ability to control whether he falls softly or fast falls is great enough to bypass his recovery problems. His killing potential is enormous, even without his spikes. (I haven't been able to get the hang of those yet.)

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
I haven't played brawl yet, but here's a question that seems glaringly obvious to me:

So if we can use the chain up to three times, why not wait for the invincibility frames to end and then chain them? If they let go, you should grab the ledge right? And if they don't let go, they get stage spiked and then you chain again?

Someone please explain why this wouldn't work, because I don't see it yet.

Ween

Smash Cadet
I haven't played brawl yet, but here's a question that seems glaringly obvious to me:

So if we can use the chain up to three times, why not wait for the invincibility frames to end and then chain them? If they let go, you should grab the ledge right? And if they don't let go, they get stage spiked and then you chain again?

Someone please explain why this wouldn't work, because I don't see it yet.
The problem is that if you do end up hitting them with the chain you won't be able to use it again until you hit the ground. So if your recovering and you use it to knock them off the stage you fall to your death while they get back to the stage. That's why it's better to knock them off with another attack and then chain.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling that this'll be a waste to post, but it's been re-discovered that Lucas and Ness can still do a "zap jump" in Brawl by reading the instructions in the post below me, launching them very high in the air. I wonder if Olimar has similar properties when tossing Pikmin? If so, edge hogging would become a moot point. I'm sorry if this has already been brought up.

Anyone willing to try it out? It's definitely a stretch :lol:.

Edit: Fixed the really bad explanation on how to do the zap jump.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
From what I read, it's only Lucas that can do the "zap jump." IIRC, they said you had to tap back on the control stick, then do the forwardB for the PK fire, and do your double jump at the same time. So there's a place to start for anyone that wants to try this with olimar.

Top Bottom