• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Issues so far that you've experienced?

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I noticed a few times that it won't read controller input right after the "Go!" pops up at the start of a battle like it has in every other game. However it's only happened a few times, so maybe I'm just pressing the buttons too fast?

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Eight player Smash seems like it would be fun with a room full of friends who don't care about the outcome but mandatory eight player battles in the single player modes are just atrocious. Especially since single player modes favor smaller stages and skip the fighter intros, the screen is so busy I've been KOed before I figure out where my character is.

Redundant challenges, especially since I haven't been going off a list. "Challenge #555, do hard thing! Challenge #556, do same hard thing with specific character!"

No Magicant. We finally get a Mother stage that doesn't feel like it was assembled in ten minutes by someone who's never touched the series, and it's relegated to the inferior version. Omega Onett is really lazy too.

The menu is still bad, but now it's even more complicated.

No quick restart for stadium or events. 3DS had this, right?

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
My biggest problem right now is trying to jab into anything cause if you use the c stick right after it continues the jab combo.
omg YES im getting so annoyed, AND its almost IMPOSSIBLE to shorthop with wii u gamepad

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Connecting online is a bit faster than 3ds, most of the time. Overall, it still has the same connection process. I get errors sometimes with same long loading smash ball in the bottom right with the tips. It's much better than 3ds, but definitely not flawless. It looks better, too.

I hate how I can't leave it on a menu screen or highlight a mode selection when I'm online without it backing out and going to the title screen again if idle for 5 minutes. Maybe I needed to do something and want to come back with a push of a button and start playing instead of going through menus or having to listen to the intro, etc in the background when I'm away.

Also when getting an error on the 3ds trying to connect online in a mode, it would backout and have it highlighted again. *announcer voice* In the Wii U version, it backs out a few instead of highlghting "1 on 1" again.

No Magicant. We finally get a Mother stage that doesn't feel like it was assembled in ten minutes by someone who's never touched the series, and it's relegated to the inferior version. Omega Onett is really lazy too.

The menu is still bad, but now it's even more complicated.
Just curious, what would make Omega Onett not lazy?

Oh, and the Menu is the best ever.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, what would make Omega Onett not lazy?
Maybe not less lazy, but it would look a lot better if it actually looked like you're on the roof of the drugstore from regular Onett, or maybe have the platform be a larger, (obviously) non-falling canopy on the drug store. Right now they just pasted a brick texture over a rectangle and put the Drug Store sign on it.

Granted I'd rather play vanilla Onett than vanilla Magicant with its "Throw in every gimmick you can come up with!" design strategy but in terms of looks and flavor Magicant was just perfect.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Maybe not less lazy, but it would look a lot better if it actually looked like you're on the roof of the drugstore from regular Onett, or maybe have the platform be a larger, (obviously) non-falling canopy on the drug store. Right now they just pasted a brick texture over a rectangle and put the Drug Store sign on it.

Granted I'd rather play vanilla Onett than vanilla Magicant with its "Throw in every gimmick you can come up with!" design strategy but in terms of looks and flavor Magicant was just perfect.
Yeah.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
I'm experiencing some weird problems with what music it plays in the stages. I will go into the music options, and set the tunes I don't want it to play down to the lowest they can go, and the ones I want it to play up to the highest...yet it will still play the music that's set low as much as the ones set up high. It's as if setting the frequency of a song has no effect whatsoever.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I'm experiencing some weird problems with what music it plays in the stages. I will go into the music options, and set the tunes I don't want it to play down to the lowest they can go, and the ones I want it to play up to the highest...yet it will still play the music that's set low as much as the ones set up high. It's as if setting the frequency of a song has no effect whatsoever.
I'm running into this too. They made My Music accessible through the stage select screen, why couldn't they just give you the option to choose a song before picking the stage?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
My only and annoying issue is when returning to the CSS after the results screen, the music kinda freezes or "jumps"/skips.
Yeah this happens to me when I play online matches, other than that everything is pretty smooth.

Nathan Willis

Smash Rookie
I only have one issue with this version of Smash, and it is really getting on my nerves and feel a patch is needed ASAP.

I have 3 young kids who's first Smash experience was the 3DS and now the Wii U. Ages 3, 6, and 8.

My problem is the menu controls. EVERY controller can take control of the menu at ANY time. Unlike Mario Kart 8, where only the controller that initially pushes the start button at the title screen has the control. So it takes 10 minutes to even get into a game with my kids.

I've come to expect kids to get mad at each other playing Smash, but tempers start flying in just the menu.

It needs patched.

ffadicted

Smash Rookie
Def seen input lag online, it's like split second but enough to be annoying... this was on 4 player random though, I've yet to play with friends, hopefully it fairs a bit better

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Literally the only issue I have with the game is that when you play on the gamepad screen, the CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen is super pixelated. Me being a graphic design major in college, this bothers the @%&# out of me. But it's really no big deal lol.

Edit: This is only on the gamepad screen. The challenger approaching screen is gorgeous on the TV

Last edited:

jaco!

Smash Rookie
the online input lag for me is intolerable.
so much so that i'm posting on here for the first time in hopes that someone has advice...
i can't get my for glory on like this. :( ...my internet connection is just fine... above average, really.
do i need a LAN adapter? anyone else having online issues? ...more importantly, anyone have online solutions??

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well if i had. A gamecube but this is good info anyway

Good luck doing the make it a no contest match with the gamepad unless your mr fantasic from marvel

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Very likely the case for a lot of people who complain about the online.
Yes, online has been great for me. I never had "input lag".

I've had 1/40 For Glory matches be laggy, and it was Shulk fight in a borderline slow-mo.. sucked so bad, and I lost too.

other issues: can't invite a friend to be on your 2v2 team...

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
I've ran into something pretty weird last night. I was playing 8 player Smash with friends and randomly we'd have access to stages that should have been blocked. Another thing we noticed is that every now and then some people had the ability to change someone else's costume. He'd be able to change his own as well as 1 or 2 other player's costume. It only happened a few times during the night and for different people.

Holychicken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Holych1cken
I have not really had an issue, just more knitpicks.

1) On the 3DS version your preferred palette color is set to default when you choose your character. Unfortunately the Wii U version does not do the same.

2) My other issue being related to Training Mode. On the 3DS version you had your training settings available to you on the bottom screen. It would be nice if you had the option to have the pause menu for the training settings viewable on your gamepad.

Small complaints, but kind of annoying having these convenient features given to us and then taken away on arguably the same game.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
My online is a bit laggy. Mario Kart 8 is fine, and I play online with Steam all the time, so I doubt the issue is on my end.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
1) On the 3DS version your preferred palette color is set to default when you choose your character. Unfortunately the Wii U version does not do the same.
I did enjoy that on the 3ds. However, with my Matrix OCD, I'm glad it doesn't do that on the Wii U version. If something happened on the 3ds where my color palette changed on accident or I didn't notice it, then I refuse to believe it happened and I'll be thinking I'm playing with another color if I happen to change it back. On Wii U, I can gladly press the required amount of button inputs that I know will get my color. This applies to my life in different ways and I hate it. I'm nuts.

One issue I have online is while on the 3ds version you can tap on the players name/icon and see their actual NNID, but on Wii U you have to select the "Miiverse Profile" option to see it, which totally breaks the experience because it takes you out of the game, going to Miiverse and disconnecting with that player. Stupid.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The online is working fine for me, as it worked with the 3DS version.
Anyways, the only issue I have is that the game stutters a bit when I pause it to appreciate the scenery/character models. No idea why that happens.
Yeah, I have this problem too. Not a huge deal but considering how amazing this game runs when it happens it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Another irrelevant problem I have: Some of the Challenges are really hard.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Keeping in mind, online lag isn't necessarily faulted by servers.

It's usually either a long distance connection between 2 players, or simply because your own internet connection isn't very good.
This ^^

Online has been nearly lag-less for me personally aside from one or two games where it was clearly the most recent person who entered the room with either a bad connection or were too far away. Even in those few instances though, it was nothing compared to what I put up with in Brawl's online, and can't even be compared; quite happy with the online personally. It isn't flawless, but it's much better.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Another irrelevant problem I have: Some of the Challenges are really hard.
On that note, a lot of the single player content is much harder than necessary because it assumes you'll be using customized characters. I'm not that interested in equipment customization, and customizing the entire cast to get through event mode feels like such a chore.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
I still can't find the trophy boxes. Either I'm stupid or they're just hidden away behind another submenu.

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I still can't find the trophy boxes. Either I'm stupid or they're just hidden away behind another submenu.
The display boxes? You have to browse your trophies and then hit X or something, there should be an option for it in the corner.

Also just a nitpick but I'm not making a new thread for it: the Kid Icarus conversations are utterly charmless. I actually quit KIU a few hours in entirely because the writing and voice acting were so obnoxious, and it's not any better here. They're way too self aware and a few of them get derailed into discussions of Kid Icarus lore/characters that have nothing to do with the fighter they correspond to.

kanepake

Smash Rookie
Tried 8-player smash yesterday, but some of my controllers stopped working as soon as I entered that game mode. It was so weird, because going back to regular 4-player smash they worked again. Anyone else experience this?

BlackAcidX

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlackAcidX
3DS FC
1332-9003-7116
the online input lag for me is intolerable.
so much so that i'm posting on here for the first time in hopes that someone has advice...
i can't get my for glory on like this. :( ...my internet connection is just fine... above average, really.
do i need a LAN adapter? anyone else having online issues? ...more importantly, anyone have online solutions??
I too have been having slight, but enough to notice, input lag in my For Glory matches. I don't want to say it's my connection that's the issue, since I have a gaming router and never experienced lag on any other games I've played online with. I'll have to buy a LAN Adapter to see if that will make a difference, and I'd suggest the same thing if you really want to that is. If not, then the best option is just to play Local with friends, or with an Amiibo.

On a side note, I experienced this strange issue on Battlefield while playing with friends on Smash Tour. My friend was getting blown up by random/invisible bombs or something, whenever he'd touch the stage or platforms. While this was happening, my character was fine, and I highly doubt it had anything to do with the type of Smash we were doing(for anyone who's played Smash Tour you know what I mean), and I don't believe there was any effects on him either.

So I'm guessing there was some kind of bug in there that made that happen. It didn't occur again though, just that one instance.

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
I have SSB WII U Digital Download.
The intro lags alot at the start (It didn't the first week I played it).
No other problems.
I would like to save replays in an USB drive, does anyone know how to?

Last edited:

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
The intro lags a bit before I enter the Main Menu. It's done this twice.

I've played Online already. However, just now I went to With Friends > 1 Player and it froze, giving me that buzzing audio.

Digital Download, btw. Not sure what's up.
Same here.
I thought digital downloads could not have errors, like a scratched CD.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Same here.
I thought digital downloads could not have errors, like a scratched CD.
Yeah I was thinking digital will be a clean playthrough. I haven't froze since, but the intro always lags up first boot. I can back out of the main menu and it won't stutter/be out of sync. It's just the first time it loads. Which is still annoying. I still prefer digital copy for Smash, though.

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
Yeah I was thinking digital will be a clean playthrough. I haven't froze since, but the intro always lags up first boot. I can back out of the main menu and it won't stutter/be out of sync. It's just the first time it loads. Which is still annoying. I still prefer digital copy for Smash, though.
Exactly the same. When I back into main menu works fine. Nintendo should fix this bug.

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
Today I was feeding my amiibo equipment and there was an error. The equipment said +43 power and -20 defense, but when I clicked it, it was only +9 power and -9 defense. That doesn't help raise the stats because they are the same number. It worked fine until today. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas how to fix it?

Hugo Boss

Smash Cadet
Is there any way to sell or remove equipment from the amiibo list like customizing fighters?

Zavanthar The Brave

Smash Rookie
Well, sometimes when I pause and move the camera around, the game slows a bit. That's all, everything else in the game works fine.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I'm expecting a patch to make the game smoother via In-game Pause option and Start screen. <.< The Wii U at launch was pretty bad but now is very quick with flawless loading times between applications.

Top Bottom