• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isai vs. Japan

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Because the social thread isn't good enough.

As anybody who's anybody knows, Isai will be flying to Japan later in July and playing in one of the legendary 150 man national smash tournaments in early August. There he will face some of the most menacing names in the smash world, including Jousuke, Kikoushi, and Ruoko Danchon.

These fabled tournaments follow a best of 1 single elimination format. Players must use the same character the whole tournament, and all matches are played on dreamland. These tournaments are held in ancient temples atop cloud shrouded mountains.

This obviously qualifies for a hype & predictions thread.

How will Isai's Fox fare in the tournament? Who will be the winner of the 12 character battles? And most importantly,

Who will come out on TOP?

Link to last years finals:

http://m.youtube.com/#/playlist?lis...desktop_uri=/playlist?list=PLB864EC8D9EC14FBD

Battlecow

Play to Win
Isai with the easy 1st place based on his kikoushi friendlies with fox on DL

callin' it

After that who knows, it depends on bracket so much lol

I think Jousuke's still #1 japan and that kikoushi's gon get 'sposed by either him or isai

single-elim bo1 is terrible

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anybody is going to be able to stop Isai's fox. Assuming they stick to their mains, I'd say kikoushi has a better shot at it than Jousuke does.

Then again, best of ONE. So much more room for an upset.

I hope we see Red decide to play this year. Based on videos I've seen, him and Jousuke are on similiar levels. And Mario vs Fox on dl is an intense matchup.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
bo1 is kinda messed up, but if jousuke can win 2 in a row (from the ones he attends), I think Isai can avoid the upset. Isai for the win.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Screw you guys. GO JOUSUKE
jk go isai

In all seriousness, I really hope that if it's him vs Jousuke for GF it ends up being more difficult than we expect.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
I would REALLY like for Isai to take a win over Japan, seeing as the Japanese took Apex 2013 (even if Isai was holding back a bit).

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
It was 4 last year, so probably.

Fox is still high tier. Notable differences are dsmash trajectory, which sucks, and more upb startup invincibility.

It's also harder to DI out of drills, so dair is more viable in combos.

sman865

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we get to see some videos of this. I want to see Isai vs Jousuke mostly, but also against Red, FAUST...etc.

Isai for the win though. He can do it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
the DI thing's prolly gonna be bad for isai, he's not used to the drill combos he'll be able to take advantage of

but then he's hella smart so he'll prolly adjust, Kikoushi seemed fine DI-wise at apex

Jousuke winning 2 or 3 in a row or w/e just means that he's clearly, definitively, solidly better than everyone else there. I think Isai's gonna have a ROUGHER TIME with him than kikoush but a lot can change in a year and other peeps might be good

I'M HYPE

SheerMadness

Smash Master
From what I remember regarding Isai's previous trips no one has really been able to go consistently even with him. I remember Kesihiki telling me Red did by far the best vs him in like his 2006 trip or w/e, but still only beat him a couple games out of 10 on average. But I don't know, that may be false info.

*waits for Isai to call me DUM*

Wouldn't be surprised if he won or lost. Navigating a 150-200 person best of one tourney with Fox, and without getting gayed at some point seems pretty tough. If there's a Fox that can do it though it's him.

Battlecow

Play to Win
don't think isai loses anything like 1% of matches against anyone outside the 15 best players in japan

so really only 3 bo1's that he has to win, then a bo3.

I don't think it's particularly likely that he'll lose those bo1's either, his fox isn't that inconsistent.

Also 2006 was a long-ass time ago, everything has changed.

but yeah I wouldn't be surprised at either a win or a loss

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Isai should hyperbolic time chamber with boom, fox only to ensure americas victory.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
don't think isai loses anything like 1% of matches against anyone outside the 15 best players in japan

so really only 3 bo1's that he has to win, then a bo3.

I don't think it's particularly likely that he'll lose those bo1's either, his fox isn't that inconsistent.

Also 2006 was a long-*** time ago, everything has changed.

but yeah I wouldn't be surprised at either a win or a loss

I dont think i got it, you are saying that Isai don't lose to anyone out of Japan? If that i must strongly disagreed! after all he had to work VERY hard against lots of Peruvian players (i'm not even talking specifically about Gerson that defeated all his characters, but Alvin, Marca and the others came close of winning). But in case you are referring to all Japanese outside the top15Jap i agreed undoubtedly =P

... about the BO1, it's really hard to not lose a single match all tournament with a gimpable character that is Fox, especially in dreamland.. But japanese rules are pretty horrible in my opinion anyway. Maybe he manage to do it because he is isai, i would put my money on it, but o would say 70% chance of success overall! (unlike in 2006, when he was a GOD among ants)

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
I dont think i got it, you are saying that Isai don't lose to anyone out of Japan? If that i must strongly disagreed! after all he had to work VERY hard against lots of Peruvian players (i'm not even talking specifically about Gerson that defeated all his characters, but Alvin, Marca and the others came close of winning). But in case you are referring to all Japanese outside the top15Jap i agree
He's talking about within Japan.

I'm assuming the Japanese seed these tournaments, given Jousuke and kikoushi played in the gf last year. Hope we get to see a isai vs kikoushi tourney match.

Also good luck to MADRUSH

prisonchild

Smash Ace

Fox is still high tier. Notable differences are dsmash trajectory, which sucks, and more upb startup invincibility.

what's the trajectory like?

But in case you are referring to all Japanese outside the top15Jap i agreed undoubtedly =P
yeah he meant that

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Hits them up at about a 70 degree angle. Not nearly as useful for combo finishing or edge guarding.

The Star King

Smash Hero

You forgot weaker dtilt and up-b hits opponents horizontally.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
In my few hours of playing J-Fox, I never noticed the Up-B invincibility frames helping out. I did notice that I had to really just some approaches and edgeguards because dtilt and dsmash are basically completely useless.

Sangoku

Smash Master
In my few hours of playing J-Fox, I never noticed the Up-B invincibility frames helping out. I did notice that I had to really just some approaches and edgeguards because dtilt and dsmash are basically completely useless.
Trust me I felt so humiliated and dumb in Fox dittos when I uselessly shined the UpBing opponent. Or Bair'ed.

Dtilt sucks for combo, but is a good edgeguard at higher percent. I still prefer the U one though.

I don't know if it's because I'm used to U, but playing against the Japanese, I felt J was weaker.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Uh yeah i suck at edge guards so

Sangoku

Smash Master
Perfect DI of Fox usmash in J vs U:

Strange isn't it? Why does it feel so hard to DI in J then?

Also, since I've heard a lot of bull**** on that subject in the past, I'll clarify it first:
-Less DI is due to less distance per input.
-Hitlag is overall the same (I've heard that hitlag was reduced and that's why it was harder to DI and easier to combo. That could have been true about DI, but it's not. And concerning combos it's unrelated).

More on subject, every players I asked said Jousuke was the best, so I think there's no doubt he's better than kikoushi. They also mentioned Red or Sekirei as being really good, but not kikoushi.

Also S plays Fox and does fairly well I think? So I'd say winning as Fox is doable for someone with Isai's consitency.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sangoku if (U) and (J) have same hitlag then why do moves like Pikachu's fair feel significantly faster in real time duration in (J) (on hit)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i always thought that was artificially added and occasionally snuck it in as an argument for DI enhancement

but tbh it's more annoying than anything

Sangoku

Smash Master
Okay, I jumped to HASTY CONCLUSIONS after a few tests. Looks like hitlag might differ more than I expected. Like it's the same for Link's Utilt, but not for Fox's dair. In U, Fox's dair is 5 frames each hits, whereas in J, it's 5 the first, then 4. So maybe it also helps explaining why DIing drills is harder.

Top Bottom