• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
ColossalCake said something about the eyes on their deviantart:

"We tried to make a compromise between Pit's eyes and Roy's eyes since Isaac is only 17 years old. Though, it seems we hit an uncanny valley with some people. We may touch the face again in the future!"

http://smashifiedart.deviantart.com/art/Isaac-Smashified-555060132
And for once in a life time, somebody finally points out the Uncanny Valley feel of the eyes. May they be fixed in the future just like what happened with Mega Man's soulless look pre-release.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
In terms of clothes, Matthew is better than Young Isaac though (Seems logical since Adult Isaac who raised him also has a damn badass attire). I also think he has an excellent battle theme, maybe the best of the 3 protagonists.

On another topic... Reddit is ****ty when it comes to share "fan-art". They made it complicated to post the Smashified video on /r/smashbros, and removed my post on /r/nintendo. As soon as a subreddit is big, rules make it way too restrictive.
It's just far less interesting to post it on /r/casualnintendo since there's 95000 less subscribers to see it.

/rant off/

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what does everyone think of Isaac Smashified? I feel it's nice, but it doesn't really seem like it should've taken as long as it did.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
And the final scene most likely took a ton of time too. I think it's when they came up with the idea of the scene that they changed the order between #9 and #10.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And the final scene most likely took a ton of time too. I think it's when they came up with the idea of the scene that they changed the order between #9 and #10.
Yeah, probably. That was pretty cool. Its hard to see but I think it is supposed to be Venus Lighthouse.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For being a 3D model I think it makes sense why it took so long.
True, true. I guess I'm just hard to please. I have had a few go arounds with 3D animation so I kind of understand how the last part could be quite difficult. Though it seems as if they didn't really know what to do with Isaac when they began. I honestly think they just didn't know how to properly detail Isaac to make him seem like a Sm4sh character while staying true to the Brawl design so they had to delay it for that reason. Then again the detail IS quite outstanding so they may be why as well.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
True, true. I guess I'm just hard to please. I have had a few go arounds with 3D animation so I kind of understand how the last part could be quite difficult. Though it seems as if they didn't really know what to do with Isaac when they began. I honestly think they just didn't know how to properly detail Isaac to make him seem like a Sm4sh character while staying true to the Brawl design so they had to delay it for that reason. Then again the detail IS quite outstanding so they may be why as well.
Yeah, I think that's it. They wanted to give him a more modern render, and unlike some Smashified, Isaac hasn't had a more recent character model/render, so they had to wing it quite a bit. Then they added that scene at the end which probably delayed him from #9 to #10.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The only thing that bothers me about the model is the leather. It just doesnt look like the smash 4 style.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Saw the new Smashified pic. The eyes could be better a bit better, but overall he looks pretty great.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I couldn't have asked for a more amazing night for finishing Golden Sun. We got Smashified Isaac earlier today, and I've played Golden Sun to the end.

I think it was a great game. Sure it has its flaws, but I enjoyed it. I see why people like Isaac and want him in Smash. He's got a lot to work with in terms of a moveset and playstyle.

Golden Sun isn't you know, The Legend of Zelda or Donkey Kong, but it's a unique series with an actually interesting story. While I gave it flak the other day for having some forgettable characters, the plot does seem to make a bit more sense toward the end. Especially with the knowledge that it was supposed to be well, combined with the second game. It makes it more understandable. It's not a game in 2015. It's almost 15 years old!

Golden Sun isn't Zelda or DK, but that's not what the Smash Bros. roster is going to get anymore anyway. Isaac presents an amazing amount of potential for a Smash Bros. character. He's easily in my Top 5...but this time I know what he's all about.

Now that I've completed the game, I feel as if Isaac should most certainly get into Smash.

For costumes:

Isaac-default
Garet colors
Ivan Colors
Mia colors
Felix Colors
Saturos Colors
Menardi colors
Adult Isaac colors

Stages?
Sol Sanctum- my idea from the other page, goes between statue room and the underground sanctum for the stones. Lava hazards in the underground area, lightning up top

Venus Lighthouse- Starts out normal, but then the beacon is activated. Stage begins to move and the lighthouse gets split, with the Green Orb, maybe bringing pieces of Earth flying around the stage? Just an idea.

I think the series has plenty to bring to Smash. I'm looking forward to it. Here's hoping!

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Isaac's model will be released to the public for us to animate!

There a youtuber that use 3D Model of Robin, Marth and Roy making dancing video.

Now we need Isaac Dancing NOW.

I couldn't have asked for a more amazing night for finishing Golden Sun. We got Smashified Isaac earlier today, and I've played Golden Sun to the end.

I think it was a great game. Sure it has its flaws, but I enjoyed it. I see why people like Isaac and want him in Smash. He's got a lot to work with in terms of a moveset and playstyle.

Golden Sun isn't you know, The Legend of Zelda or Donkey Kong, but it's a unique series with an actually interesting story. While I gave it flak the other day for having some forgettable characters, the plot does seem to make a bit more sense toward the end. Especially with the knowledge that it was supposed to be well, combined with the second game. It makes it more understandable. It's not a game in 2015. It's almost 15 years old!

Golden Sun isn't Zelda or DK, but that's not what the Smash Bros. roster is going to get anymore anyway. Isaac presents an amazing amount of potential for a Smash Bros. character. He's easily in my Top 5...but this time I know what he's all about.

Now that I've completed the game, I feel as if Isaac should most certainly get into Smash.

For costumes:

Isaac-default
Garet colors
Ivan Colors
Mia colors
Felix Colors
Saturos Colors
Menardi colors
Adult Isaac colors

Stages?
Sol Sanctum- my idea from the other page, goes between statue room and the underground sanctum for the stones. Lava hazards in the underground area, lightning up top

Venus Lighthouse- Starts out normal, but then the beacon is activated. Stage begins to move and the lighthouse gets split, with the Green Orb, maybe bringing pieces of Earth flying around the stage? Just an idea.

I think the series has plenty to bring to Smash. I'm looking forward to it. Here's hoping!
I did the same thing except that I need to play the second game. I was praising Golden Sun, then play the game for real.

I like more than Fire Emblem Awakening and its already one the best game of all time. Now I want HIM EVEN MORE!!
Is popularity is skyrocket since that Smashfied or always been.

Starless

Smash Cadet
Given the increasing number of "anime swordsman" comments I don't think we're there yet.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Given the increasing number of "anime swordsman" comments I don't think we're there yet.
Its unfortunate that they only showed off Isaac with his sword... well, and a brief glimpse at a different attack, but even then they use a sword. Yeah, Ragnarok and other sword-based psynergy (or even unleashes) are pretty damn cool, but any other Psynergy would've been better to show off to help get rid of the "anime sword user" notion.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Welp, I went and did an edit of the Smashified render for myself, like I said I would.

I rotated/made the eyes a little less narrow, added some hair to the lower back of his head on the left, made his hair just slightly less orange-y, made his mouth a little less wide, and gave him a smile! All rather minor edits, but I think it made him feel a little bit more like Isaac. Click the spoiler tag to view!
Or click here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v61/msporkingt/Isaac.png

And feel free to do whatever you like with this, as per the Smashified team's policy - it is still their art, after all :p I may go back and change a few other things. Need to cut a few of the raggedy bits out of the scarf for the transparency, forgot to do that. Might play with the colors some more. We'll see.

Last edited:

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Ok, i can address the complains about the render, but one thing is certain: the model is fantastic and very well done.

I know by experience how hard and how demanding is to do a 3d model, bone it, textures, prepare the scene (lights, camera, effects, etc), not to mention all the rendering time those guys spend on each image and try, plus an ANIMATION (Takes alot of hours or even a whole day for render a scene of a few seconds, depending of the power of the pc that's being used and how many effects (reflections, etc) are played on the scene.

the one issue comes with the textures, the most visible part of the model. After checking critically the Render, i can mention 4:

1. Yeah, the anime hair, which is really difficult to make in 3d. The problem was that the hair locks don't blend together, maybe because of their transparency or shading. Other characters like shulk, roy or even Ike and Ryu has some twisted hair, but at least each hair lock blend together so well that looks as a whole, instead of separate parts. And about that, the hair doesn't look connected to the head, it lacks texture of the hair on the head, lack of shading on the head produced by the hair, which in turn make it look like a wig instead.

2. the eyes, i agreed completly that produces an Uncanny Valley effect, because they tried to mix Pit and Roy eyes, which is what they went wrong. All the realistic, anime-like characters cas their eyes made around their original source material, Link doesn't have the same eyes as roy or as pit, are completly different styles, and isaac should been keep true to that (Golden Sun eye style, or for a more recent base, Dark Dawn eye style=

3. The leather, after comparing it with other character like Robin (best example of boots, resembles isaac's), link, ike, pit and others, i agreed they just overdid the texture, specially on the boots. A more slight approach on that would been better i think.

4. (The thing nobody noticed) The ear wasn't modeled, is true that in smash 4 artworks the ears looks clean, but al least you can see the detail, here it just...loks plain (i am complaining about an ear, wow)

And that's all i got. Don't take it as a rant, i still love the work and the effort done on them, but i hope this could understand how some people didn't liked it (exagerated or not)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Welp, I went and did an edit of the Smashified render for myself, like I said I would. I rotated/made the eyes a little less narrow, added some hair to the lower back of his head on the left, made his hair just slightly less orange-y, made his mouth a little less wide, and gave him a smile! All rather minor edits, but I think it made him feel a little bit more like Isaac. Click the spoiler tag to view!

And feel free to do whatever you like with this, as per the Smashified team's policy - it is still their art, after all :p I may go back and change a few other things. Need to cut a few of the raggedy bits out of the scarf for the transparency, forgot to do that. Might play with the colors some more. We'll see.
Not bad at all. I'd merely tone down the detail on the leather and make Isaac's eye's a wee bit smaller to look more like his AT.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Wait a minute.

Isaac finally gets a Smashified render and this is not front page Smashboards news!? While all the others were....

What's up with that Smashboards -_-? Why you do this?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Wait a minute.

Isaac finally gets a Smashified render and this is not front page Smashboards news!? While all the others were....

What's up with that Smashboards -_-? Why you do this?
You see they were actually making the article to post up on the front page but then they got distracted by the eyes. They're probably still sitting there staring at them.

I make joke don't stab me

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You see they were actually making the article to post up on the front page but then they got distracted by the eyes. They're probably still sitting there staring at them.

I won't stab you...

But Angry Isaac will!!!

Hint: You're the troll :p

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Not bad at all. I'd merely tone down the detail on the leather and make Isaac's eye's a wee bit smaller to look more like his AT.
I actually don't mind the leather too much as a stylistic choice, but it might be nice to see what it would look like toned down. And his eyes could be a bit smaller, although the size of them doesn't bother me terribly. I probably will try changing both of those around a bit, though.

What I really wish I could do is create a better hilt for his sword, but I can't 3D model, and it would take more time than I care to spend to draw a realistic one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

It took a bit of a delay for them to get to K. Rool as well. I'm sure it'll be up by morning.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Maybe they had an article ready but they decided to mimic Smashified and delay it. :troll: Don't worry, it will be up after a week.
Please don't kill me.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Smashified did an amazing job with the render. Maybe a bit too modern anime for my taste though but the detail is fantastic (that scarf is swoon-worthy). For some reason I kind of dig him with blocky hair more though like his brawl render, makes me think of retro/GBA more which is what I'd like to see Isaac represent.

When I look at these models what I think I would have preferred most is the left's hair/gloves/physique but the right's clothing detail/breastplate/scarf.

Last edited:

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
Everyone is complaining about Isaac being called a 'generic anime swordsman' but when I play Golden Sun the only Psynergy that I used was the Ragnarok series and sometimes the Cure series. Kind of ironic, isn't it.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Regarding the Matthew poll, I voted yes, since I want him to be in as an Isaac alt (although I voted for Isaac and not Matthew, Isaac is the number one priority).

Arteen

Smash Lord
I took @ RhymesWithEmpty RhymesWithEmpty 's edits and made a few of my own with my not-so-great Photoshop talents.

I removed some of the contrast from the leather textures and I think it looks a bit nicer. I also shortened the sword a fair bit.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Smashified did an amazing job with the render. Maybe a bit too modern anime for my taste though but the detail is fantastic (that scarf is swoon-worthy). For some reason I kind of dig him with blocky hair more though like his brawl render, makes me think of retro/GBA more which is what I'd like to see Isaac represent.

When I look at these models what I think I would have preferred most is the left's hair/gloves/physique but the right's clothing detail/breastplate/scarf.

I don't know... I don't think it's a matter of the blockiness of the hair - I think that the hair in the Smashified render is just off in general.

I want to like the render, but I just don't much care for it. I'm not meaning to deny the amount of work put into it, it just seems off.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Who was afraid something like this would happen?
The smashified Isaac was highly anticipated and everyone couldn't wait to see it, but when it finally arrives, it's not as good as what a lot of people wanted it to be.

Top Bottom