• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I agree. This is a rather different situation from earlier speculation altogether. We're speculating characters that will be added as paid DLC; they have to stand on their own and convince those that already have the game that they're worth purchasing. And what characters are most likely to sell well? Those that have very high demand, the ones who are the most popular. This isn't the time for unorthodox choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt; this is the time for choices like Little Mac, Mega Man, and Mewtwo, characters with so much demand that they'll be certain to sell themselves. This ballot will give Sakurai the chance to see just who the fans want to see most, and as long as those desired characters fit the Smash criteria, I'd say they have a pretty good shot. At this point, sheer popularity is going to be a critical factor.
I find it ironic and stupid that developers, who would not give Nintendo's consoles the time of day, want their character in Smash, basically getting the benefits without having to do anything in exchange for it.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I agree. This is a rather different situation from earlier speculation altogether. We're speculating characters that will be added as paid DLC; they have to stand on their own and convince those that already have the game that they're worth purchasing. And what characters are most likely to sell well? Those that have very high demand, the ones who are the most popular. This isn't the time for unorthodox choices like Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt; this is the time for choices like Little Mac, Mega Man, and Mewtwo, characters with so much demand that they'll be certain to sell themselves. This ballot will give Sakurai the chance to see just who the fans want to see most, and as long as those desired characters fit the Smash criteria, I'd say they have a pretty good shot. At this point, sheer popularity is going to be a critical factor.
You're absolutely correct. Couldn't have said it better myself. And for all we know this could really breathe some life back into Golden Sun just like how Pit's appearance in Brawl did for Kid Icarus.

But, the bottom line is that this is dream-come-true time if ever there was one.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I find it ironic and stupid that developers, who would not give Nintendo's consoles the time of day, want their character in Smash, basically getting the benefits without having to do anything in exchange for it.
This is why I don't see Rare characters making the cut. I know K. Rool is in demand almost as much as Isaac is, but to be frank if he IS Rare's property, and thus Microsoft's property he WON'T happen.

Camelot, on the other hand JUST made Mario Golf: World Tour. Nintendo loves Camelot, and they would be much easier to get rights with.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This is why I don't see Rare characters making the cut. I know K. Rool is in demand almost as much as Isaac is, but to be frank if he IS Rare's property, and thus Microsoft's property he WON'T happen.
No he's not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder how many people see "Isaac" in these lists and polls and think "The Binding Of". Since other indie characters like Shovel Knight are often near the top of the lists as well.
Haha, that probably does happen here or there, especially with the next game (I think) coming to Nintendo platforms, but I'd imagine for the most part people know which Isaac is being talked about.

Good thing Isaac's strongest point for him going back a long time has been his popularity. I mean that's what he's been banking on for a while now, and really its come and gone in waves, but it's certainly and notably existed since before Brawl, so there will certainly be a dedicated fanbase chomping at the bit to pick him up. While it might not be on the same level as Mac or Mega Man or Mewtwo, at least, unlike your former examples, he actually has a large fanbase prior to his inclusion.

And Isaac is also a character you can tell people would gravitate towards in the same way they do the FE characters and Shulk. People love "cool" sword-wielders, and if you've got flashy magic on top of that? Forget about it.

Plus it would totally re-ignite interest in GS if Nintendo at all cares about that. Look what it did for FE and KI.

No he's not.
I don't understand why people think Nintendo doesn't own everything that falls under the DK umbrella.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people think Nintendo doesn't own everything that falls under the DK umbrella.
I had heard varying accounts about this, but I don't care about K. Rool so I never bothered to confirm it.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Camelot, on the other hand JUST made Mario Golf: World Tour. Nintendo loves Camelot, and they would be much easier to get rights with.
You see, that is one of the major reasons why I find this poll amazing and repulsive at the same time. Long time Nintendo characters have to compete with other characters who would not even work with Nintendo, but now want their character in Smash for free Advertising.

Why do I find this poll so repulsive? Think about how Nintendo characters were competing with each other earlier before this Ballot took place. There is no harm there, because our characters are all relatives, so someone in the family was getting in, but now, our Nintendo Celebration has taken a step further into being a popularity contest.

This poll has turned into a popularity contest where people just want their character in, regardless of what benefit it would have for Nintendo.

I like both King K. Rool and Isaac for different reasons and they both bring something new to the table.

Isaac (or Felix/Matthew) would acknowledge Golden Sun, a long time Nintendo franchise that was popular in its hay day and has little to no content in Smash.

King K. Rool, because he represents a fan favorite villain from one of Nintendo's already established franchises.

Do third party characters deserve a spot light? Yes, but it now seems they are being pushed instead of Nintendo characters for all the wrong reasons.

The reason why Third Party spaces should be a fraction of the Nintendo cast is because it gives these guest characters more publicity and recognition. A club where only the top of the top can enter is better and more respectful to the character than the one who lets anyone through if they happen to walk through the front door.

Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's History, Nintendo's Family, now it is being treated as some big popularity contest to auction off advertisement space to.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
-sobs- N30N i'm sorry you don't like me
I don't know what @N30N thinks of you but I have no problem with anyone pushing the fanbase to do better and better.

It's just important not to forget that even casual talk in his thread serves a purpose. :)

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
You see, that is one of the major reasons why I find this poll amazing and repulsive at the same time. Long time Nintendo characters have to compete with other characters who would not even work with Nintendo, but now want their character in Smash for free Advertising.

Why do I find this poll so repulsive? Think about how Nintendo characters were competing with each other earlier before this Ballot took place. There is no harm there, because our characters are all relatives, so someone in the family was getting in, but now, our Nintendo Celebration has taken a step further into being a popularity contest.

This poll has turned into popularity contest where people just want their character in, regardless of what benefit it would have for Nintendo.

I like both King K. Rool and Isaac for different reasons and they both bring something new to the table.

Isaac (or Felix/Matthew) would acknowledge Golden Sun, a long time Nintendo franchise that was popular in its hay day and has little to no content in Smash.

King K. Rool, because he represents a fan favorite villain from one of Nintendo's already established franchises.

Do third party characters deserve a spot light? Yes, but it now seems they are being pushed instead of Nintendo characters for all the wrong reasons.

The reason why Third Party spaces should be a fraction of the Nintendo cast is because it gives these guest characters more publicity and recognition. A club where only the top of the top can enter is better and more respectful to the character than the one who lets anyone through if they happen to walk through the front door.

Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's History, Nintendo's Family, now it is being treated as some big popularity contest to auction off advertisement space to.
It's not a popularity contest! I mean, it sort of is, but

Don't think of it as selling out or just advertisement. Don't think of it as a cruel competition.

Nintendo is giving us a chance to see our dream cast of characters, and we're taking advantage of it, that's all.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
It's not a popularity contest! I mean, it sort of is, but

Don't think of it as selling out or just advertisement. Don't think of it as a cruel competition.

Nintendo is giving us a chance to see our dream cast of characters, and we're taking advantage of it, that's all.
When noting that Game Developers who would not give Nintendo's consoles the time of day and now want their character in Smash is the reason why this is a Popularity Contest (I see it that way).

Game Developers who wanted nothing to do with Nintendo now want to get in, solely for bragging and advertising purposes.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
When noting that Game Developers who would not give Nintendo's consoles the time of day and now want their character in Smash is the reason why this is a Popularity Contest (I see it that way).

Game Developers who wanted nothing to do with Nintendo now want to get in, solely for bragging and advertising purposes.
Oh, that you're right about.

But the fact is that I think Nintendo is smart enough to know that. They won't put Banjo in the game, I can almost guarantee it. there will be no CoD soldiers, or Super Meat Boys or Master Chiefs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Y-you.. Actually just said this..?? :facepalm:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't worry too much about 3rd parties. Sakurai is going to brush them away if he's not happy with them....and I trust Sakurai to choose a 3rd party who would mean something to Nintendo fans.

heylodom

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Isaac supporters and Golden Sun fans, with all this excitement for Isaac and golden sun in general I put this video together. I posted it on gamefaqs the other day so I thought I'd share it here too. Please check it out if you have time! I hope we can get our Golden Sun 4 along with Isaac!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Oh, that you're right about.

But the fact is that I think Nintendo is smart enough to know that. They won't put Banjo in the game, I can almost guarantee it. there will be no CoD soldiers, or Super Meat Boys or Master Chiefs.
It isn't about Nintendo doing this, it is more about the realization of what Smash Brothers really means to other companies. Long time Nintendo fans and Nintendo fans in general see it as a Celebration; whereas, other companies just see it as a money maker without the charm of what it brings and what it means.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Y-you.. Actually just said this..?? :facepalm:
Y-Yes??? It's true. Camelot is second party. Nintendo will probably choose an IP they can actually get the rights for.

Getting Microsoft stuff would be a huge hassle.

But I also didn't know K. Rool was still Nintendo's property. I don't care about KRool.

Last edited:

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman
It isn't about Nintendo doing this, it is more about the realization of what Smash Brothers really means to other companies. Long time Nintendo fans and Nintendo fans in general see it as a Celebration; whereas, other companies just see it as a money maker without the charm of what it brings and what it means.
Absolutely. I understand Sonic due to Sega's and Nintendo's long time relationship, Megaman for the same reason, I understood Snake with the whole Sakurai/Kojima friendship in the background.
But I personally don't want to see anything from companies that wouldn't even consider releasing their games on a Nintendo console otherwise, no matter how popular the character.
I always like to consider Smash as the coming together of characters I formed a bond with over the time, something I could play to maybe relive some amazing battles that shaped my gaming experience when I was a much younger Chuck.
I really hope Nintendo doesn't just water down that feeling by addding characters with no history on Nintendo consoles or with no connection to Nintendo children like me.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So far, I've voted from several different computers on mine college campus, including those in the library, the computer labs, and other locations. I've mainly been voting for Isaac, though I did vote for Young Cricket once (sue me). I've considered voting for Fiora from Xenoblade, since I think she would be a pretty interesting fighter, but I fancy loads of people are requesting her already--and since Isaac is mine top priority, I think I'll leave it for the time being.

This does have a lot of truth to it, and is why I have not voted for any of the obscure characters I really like, despite their potential (namely Katia and Tara from Lost Kingdoms).

Kind of reminds me of The Little Red Hen story.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
In the interest of reaching other voters, is anyone here a Miiverse artist? Some pictures of Isaac on there could help gain traction in a group where (my understanding is) he's not as prolific.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Absolutely. I understand Sonic due to Sega's and Nintendo's long time relationship, Megaman for the same reason, I understood Snake with the whole Sakurai/Kojima friendship in the background.
But I personally don't want to see anything from companies that wouldn't even consider releasing their games on a Nintendo console otherwise, no matter how popular the character.
I always like to consider Smash as the coming together of characters I formed a bond with over the time, something I could play to maybe relive some amazing battles that shaped my gaming experience when I was a much younger Chuck.
I really hope Nintendo doesn't just water down that feeling by addding characters with no history on Nintendo consoles or with no connection to Nintendo children like me.
I think this is a big part of the decision making process when Sakurai chooses characters.

I don't really think the Inklings have a shot in hell, even though I love those little guys, for this reason. They have no prior success or proof of popularity, because the game isn't out yet. There's nothing there to relive, there aren't any songs or sounds yet to draw nostalgia from, etc.

That's why characters like Dillon, Takamaru, or Ghirahim are designated to Assist Trophies. They're a bit obscure, and not everyone is guaranteed to know who they are.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
In the interest of reaching other voters, is anyone here a Miiverse artist? Some pictures of Isaac on there could help gain traction in a group where (my understanding is) he's not as prolific.
I can draw! I'll draw whatever ya want!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can draw! I'll draw whatever ya want!
Awesome! I don't really know the ins and outs of Miiverse (not that there's a lot to it) but I imagine just a picture of Isaac with some caption in the pic along the lines of Vote for Isaac/Isaac for Smash/Isaac for DLC would be fine. Maybe #IsaacForSmash.

Visual art never was mine speciality, though I suppose I could spread the word around Miiverse.
That'd be great! Every bit counts!

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I think this is a big part of the decision making process when Sakurai chooses characters.

I don't really think the Inklings have a shot in hell, even though I love those little guys, for this reason. They have no prior success or proof of popularity, because the game isn't out yet. There's nothing there to relive, there aren't any songs or sounds yet to draw nostalgia from, etc.

That's why characters like Dillon, Takamaru, or Ghirahim are designated to Assist Trophies. They're a bit obscure, and not everyone is guaranteed to know who they are.
Since Splatoon is being released soon, I could see the Inklings getting a chance if the game proves to be successful.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Awesome! I don't really know the ins and outs of Miiverse (not that there's a lot to it) but I imagine just a picture of Isaac with some caption in the pic along the lines of Vote for Isaac/Isaac for Smash/Isaac for DLC would be fine. Maybe #IsaacForSmash.
I'm actually at school at the moment, but I'll do it when I get home later and post them here. Be sure to Yeah me!

Also, don't forget that your 3DS and Wii U count as devices you can vote on. Just in case it slipped anyone's mind that the Wii U and 3DS can browse the web. It's easy to forget that.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm actually at school at the moment, but I'll do it when I get home later and post them here. Be sure to Yeah me!

Also, don't forget that your 3DS and Wii U count as devices you can vote on. Just in case it slipped anyone's mind that the Wii U and 3DS can browse the web. It's easy to forget that.
Good point~

Huh...well that's interesting. 5-6 was always the common guess anyway. (Though that doesn't matter, I'm sure they could easily add more)
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...ots-on-the-super-smash-bros-character-lineup/
"There’s Five Blank Spots On The Super Smash Bros Character Lineup"

lol that's not news. That's just something people have been convinced matters since the first trailer.

As for the number of DLC characters I'm expecting, it's actually on the higher side. I know Sakurai sent out that tweet, but what he wants seems to have taken a backseat to what Nintendo wants, and Nintendo goes all out in supporting their blockbuster titles with DLC.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
@ N3ON N3ON

Do you think it would be a good idea to put a "Ways You Can Help" section on the front page and update it consistently based on what we discuss, since not everyone will know exactly what's going on in this 300 page thread? Just a thought.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's the FB group made by the OP of the Isaac support thread over at GameFAQs if you wanna show your support there:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Isaac-Inn/458677150951045

@ N3ON N3ON

Do you think it would be a good idea to put a "Ways You Can Help" section on the front page and update it consistently based on what we discuss, since not everyone will know exactly what's going on in this 300 page thread? Just a thought.
I figure the ways to help are fairly self-evident, but it couldn't hurt~

If you guys wanna bounce around your ideas until I have time to do a write-up, feel free.

Buddy002

Smash Cadet
Hey all, I am have never posted in this thread, but would like to say that I am here for the charge! Lets bring my man Isaac to smash!

Supersmash77

Smash Cadet
Found this poll to indicate popularity between the top 2 over at GameFAQs:

Which would you rather be playable? - Results (295 votes)
K. Rool
51.53%
152 Votes

Isaac
48.47%
143 Votes

Not bad, not bad at all! :D

Pretty crazy how in many places Isaac is finally finally being treated like an expected choice instead of an outside shot! ^_^

The most we can do is guess at this point. And feel free to vote for as many characters as you like, but try to do it from different machines!

There are some palette swaps in the OP, but I dunno if they're what you're looking for.

How would you suggest going about doing that?

I don't mind discussion about it casually, but putting steps about how to cheat the poll in the OP is a little shady for my liking. :x

Yeah Isaac's popularity seems to have spiked yet again, which is great to see! Most places seem to be treating him second to only K. Rool as far as newcomers go!
Yeah, K.rool seems to be really popular.I'm honestly not sure why since I've never really played the original Donkey Kong Country games but I'm sure there's some reason people really want him

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, K.rool seems to be really popular.I'm honestly not sure why since I've never really played the original Donkey Kong Country games but I'm sure there's some reason people really want him
No lie, K. Rool is a cool character. He's also plays (or at least used to play) an important role in an important series which is pretty underrepresented in Smash, so even though he does nothing for me, I'd rather have Dixie, I get why he's so popular.

And you should totally play the SNES DKC games, they're fantastic!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...you_want_to_win_the_smash_bros_fighter_ballot

You should vote for Isaac here if you have a Nintendolife account.

It's bizarre how they didn't include King K Rool though.
It let me vote even though I don't have a Nintendolife account.

And... I guess... at least Isaac is second of the characters who probably wouldn't get passed over...

Top Bottom