• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And if Isaac isn't developed by that point, more free votes!

I keep hearing that Isaac is a really popular choice, but I still feel like he needs all the help he can get.
Of course he does. We shouldn't say that about any character. Every character will need all the help they can get. However, the odds are good for the characters that are among the more popular mentions. Isaac is probably #1 for new franchises followed by Inklings. Though I really, really do want Lip as well. Originally I kept saying Dixie was my #3, but now I'm changing my mind a bit and its actually Lip instead. Dixie gets a lot of love as is.

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
Found something interesting.
The Australian (and presumably other PAL countries) version of the poll asks for a nickname and age, in addition to the questions the US poll has. While age is presumably to look at demographics, I can think of no purpose for nickname other than to assign votes to owners.

So maybe they aren't tracking IPs?

Either way the fact that different regions have a different poll would suggest that we can probably get 2 votes (NA/PAL) per machine, 3 if you have a Japanese typeset. Maybe even 1 per PAL country, if you know the right language.

Aussie poll below for those interested.
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-au/

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Just stopping by to say I've put in my vote for Isaac. :grin:

I mentioned how Golden Sun was successful on the GBA and still has a strong loyal fanbase, how Isaac has so much potential for being unique, that he was already in Brawl, suggested he would be well-received due to RPGs getting more attention lately, and even gave them a line to use (Isaac moves into battle!).

It's crazy to think we might still see him! I'll definitely vote again from other devices.

Btw, do you guys think this is gonna boil down to popularity or convincing Sakurai through what we write? I feel like both could be advantageous to Isaac but more so the second.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I voted for Isaac. I said it before Smash 4 and I'll say it again, I really think he's got a diverse movepoll, and that'd make for a really fun character. So I'm hoping he'll be considered. He's not the most popular character around, but he's still got a dedicated fan-base and is far from the most obscure character to be added in Smash.

So yeah......OUR BLADES WILL LET OUT A HOWL!!! A HOWL THAT'LL BE HEARD FOR YEARS TO COME!!!....That sounded more hype in my head.

Anyway, here's THIS!!!!!!!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If a beloved supporter of Isaac would please write up a blurb about why he is important to vote for, I would love t include it on the Smashboard votes thread; perhaps @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman ?
I'd like that thread to be a hub for all things voting, particularly in regard to convincing people to vote in mass for some of the popular picks.

http://smashboards.com/threads/smashboards-votes.397113/#post-18876819
I'm not the best at this kind of stuff, but I'll try throwing two cents in. Mostly from a gameplay persepective. And trying to give people who don't know him a gist of how he'll fight.

Isaac might be seen as a dark horse of the DLC race going on here. But there's good reason to vote for him. I know some people might not like him because he's anime-ish character that uses a Sword or Axe(as he can use both), though he's much more than that gameplay wise.

Golden Sun is a fairly known series, but it's not too popular. The type of game that's got niche fan-base that remains loyal. Smash has been known to give series more popularity and some notoriety within the video game community. Just look at Fire Emblem(and possibly Kid Icarus), a series that hasn't gotten outside Japan until Melee introducing us to the likes of Marth, Roy, and Ike. Of course Smash isn't the only thing that would be needed to help Golden Sun grow into the lime light, there's legwork that'd need to be done too.

Isaac's biggest draw gameplay wise is that he can manipulate the elements, namely Earth-like things like rocks, sand, vines and bamboo. This alone works well with Smash attacks and specials. He lends himself to being a both a ground-based fighter and a magic user, two character types that hasn't been mixed together very often for fighting games as a whole.

Another aspect of Isaac's gameplay is the Hand Psynergy. Being able to grab and push enemies from afar can be pretty fun. This has been used for his assist trophy in Brawl.

The last majorly unique aspect of Isaac's move-pool is his use of Djinni. These let him use other elements, such as Fire, Wind and Water. These other elements can diversify Isaac's move-poll and lend well to custom moves and even his default moveset.

Also, he looks pretty cool, so there's that.

So if you like cool looking characters that have offer an interesting gameplay style focused on magic then Isaac is exactly the type of guy to vote for. If you want to potentially help a JRPG franchise, a genre Nintendo can still explore in a multitude of ways, then vote for Isaac!

Again, not the best example I'm sure, but I tried.

Last edited:

heylodom

Smash Rookie
Cast my vote for Isaac! I'm so excited there is actually a chance for him to be in again :D

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Away from the DLC for a moment:
DS games are finally coming to VC. What if we get Dark Dawn on there? Then we'd have all three Golden Suns on the Wii U. Probably getting Dark Dawn on VC before Lost Age

Last edited:

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
It's been a while....o-o But now that this whole DLC thing is happening, I now have a reason to pop back in and say hi again.

My main ballot was used for Roy (sorry guys ;; I need my old main back), but my friend voted for Isaac for me since I was so torn about it. Because really, I want them both.

Isaac would be the coolest newcomer character by far.
All dat Psynergy potential.

Lonodel

Smash Journeyman
#Is44c4Sm4sh has four fours, and we want him in the fourth smash, the only thing missing is another 4, Sh4q has 4 letters, april is the 4th month, 2015 is the year after 2014 ye4r has 4 letters, 4 * 4 is 16, 16/4 is 4, the number 4 has 4 points. points has 6 letters. golden has 6 letters. 6/2 is 3, sun has 3 letters. 2 * 2 is 4, it's been 14 years since golden sun was originally released. 1+4 is 5, it's been 5 years since golden sun dark dawn was released. Is44c is Sm4sh conf1rim3d. It's been thirteen years since golden sun the lost age, 1+3 is 4. 4. Smash 4. #Is44c4Sm4sh

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've already seen Roy and King K. Rool's votes off, so now I've got Rayman, Isaac and Sylux next - these aren't the only characters that I support, but I'm limiting to five responses for now! Thanks to Lucas, hopefully we'll see our earth shattering blondy appear as DLC!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah so apparently in Japan is says only one vote will be counted. It didn't clarify which vote... but I'd try to make the first vote count.

Lost Age isn't on the US VC yet? It is over here, has been for ages.
Not yet. v_v

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Away from the DLC for a moment:
DS games are finally coming to VC. What if we get Dark Dawn on there? Then we'd have all three Golden Suns on the Wii U. Probably getting Dark Dawn on VC before Lost Aga
I do think we can and likely will get Dark Dawn eventually.

It is really weird we STILL don't have Lost Age in NA yet. They'll probably randomly announce it at some point. Maybe next week due to Camelot's 20th anniversary.

I'd recommend if you try voting multiple times, vote again on your main PC the character you want most. You can try voting on other platforms and see if your vote will count, but just to be safe, place both your first and last vote on the one you want most.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gosh, how much would it stink if it turns out that Isaac would've gotten in from the ballot if only more people had spelled his name correctly?

It might be a silly fear, but seeing so many people incorrectly spell a simple, relatively common name will do that to you. xP

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
I'd recommend if you try voting multiple times, vote again on your main PC the character you want most. You can try voting on other platforms and see if your vote will count, but just to be safe, place both your first and last vote on the one you want most.
Ooh, this is a good point. Rather be safe than sorry, especially if one voted more than once! I'll make sure to shoot another vote off here just to make sure all my bases are covered.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Gosh, how much would it stink if it turns out that Isaac would've gotten in from the ballot if only more people had spelled his name correctly?

It might be a silly fear, but seeing so many people incorrectly spell a simple, relatively common name will do that to you. xP
I don't think it'll matter as long as they say something close to "Isaac" and from "Golden Sun."

CheckmateChuck

Smash Journeyman

Seeing how they not only ask for the character but also for the game they came from, I don't see that being too big of a problem. Should there be any uncertainties with Isaac's name, the guys over at Nintendo who'll tally the votes will hopefully be smart enough to realise that both Isaac and Issac are, in fact, the same person.
Actually, and this might be a dumb thought, I don't even necessarily think that it's just going to be the most and second most popular character that is going to be made into a character. I can see, for example, Sakurai getting handed a Top 10 list at the end of the ballot and he picks one or two from that list.

But that's just how I imagine them to make the choice. Especially when some website like 4chan attempts to raid the ballot with joke characters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah you guys are probably right. It must just speak to my inability to grasp how so many people can spell that name wrong. xD

Seeing how they not only ask for the character but also for the game they came from, I don't see that being too big of a problem. Should there be any uncertainties with Isaac's name, the guys over at Nintendo who'll tally the votes will hopefully be smart enough to realise that both Isaac and Issac are, in fact, the same person.
Actually, and this might be a dumb thought, I don't even necessarily think that it's just going to be the most and second most popular character that is going to be made into a character. I can see, for example, Sakurai getting handed a Top 10 list at the end of the ballot and he picks one or two from that list.

But that's just how I imagine them to make the choice. Especially when some website like 4chan attempts to raid the ballot with joke characters.
Oh I hardly think getting the #1 character is a guarantee. Sure it might happen, but I'm almost positive this poll is just to provide Sakurai and Nintendo with a pool of who generally ranks towards the top, of which they'll still be Sakurai and Nintendo about picking who exactly will make it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I still don't think its at the "end" of the ballot. I also doubt it'll only be two. Three at the minimum, IMO, not including Wolf either. The timing is way off. They'd probably look at this in about a month, pick the most requested viable candidate, work on that character, then later pick two more to work while the fans are enjoying playing Wolf and the #1 most requested character who released on the 1-year anniversary.

The thing a lot of people keep missing is: Do you HONESTLY think that if they're doing this they're going to sit and twiddle their thumbs until the poll officially ends? No, odds are they'll be working on additional DLC during that time. Some will probably be stages, but they'd probably do at least one new character as well (besides Wolf whose extremely easy). I'd bet Wolf and another character announced at E3.

Yeah you guys are probably right. It must just speak to my inability to grasp how so many people can spell that name wrong. xD

Oh I hardly think getting the #1 character is a guarantee. Sure it might happen, but I'm almost positive this poll is just to provide Sakurai and Nintendo with a pool of who generally ranks towards the top, of which they'll still be Sakurai and Nintendo about picking who exactly will make it.
If its a Nintendo character at #1, I'd argue the odds are in favor of that character being picked almost for certain assuming the character is only a trophy in Smash Bros., or isn't in Smash at all. Especially if it ends up being by a signiifcant margin.

If its not a Nintendo character, that's where they'd be questioned. The only question would be if they have a role in the game, like an Assist Trophy or boss like Ridley. Ridley odds are would be skipped immediately. For Assist Trophies, I'm not so certain about that. I do think its less likely.

Regardless, if the character at #1 is a character like Isaac or K. Rool, a character with no real restrictions on being added as playable, I think they WOULD for sure get in. If its a veteran other than Wolf, a character with a role greater than being a mere trophy, or a third-party, that would not be guaranteed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sure, being first place can hardly hurt, I'm just saying it's not some sort of insta ticket into the roster. There are always a lot of variables, many unseen by us, that fly around with this kind of thing.

That said I couldn't imagine many obstacles towards inclusion with any of the Nintendo characters that usually reside at the top of the popularity charts (other than Ridley).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sure, being first place can hardly hurt, I'm just saying it's not some sort of insta ticket into the roster. There are always a lot of variables, many unseen by us, that fly around with this kind of thing.

That said I couldn't imagine many obstacles towards inclusion with any of the Nintendo characters that usually reside at the top of the popularity charts (other than Ridley).
Agreed. Ridley probably won't happen at all, sadly, due to his current status. Assist Trophies are iffy, but honestly I don't think any AT's would hit the top anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah when characters get AT'd their popularity usually dwindles. At least until the next game. So... might Isaac's complete omission turn into a blessing in disguise? Quite possibly.

I suspect if there was overwhelming demand for an AT Sakurai would probably look the other way (perhaps at the insistence of Nintendo), but it'd take more than the average character.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I do agree. And Isaac has definitely seen a surge in popularity due to his lack of being an AT. Isaac and K. Rool are also the characters I keep hearing about being requested the most overall from the various places I've gone, though Dixie would probably surpass Isaac if it wasn't for K. Rool. (Granted, a lot of people would jump to Isaac is K. Rool was already in as their #1 vote. I've seen tons of people saying they want both Isaac and Rool.)

Well, I basically discount Wolf all-together since as far as I'm concerned, he's in. With Lucas in, Wolf is right behind him. (If it was Wolf first I would worry slightly about Lucas.)

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea luckily enough for us, Isaac's complete absence turned more heads than his inclusion as AT would have. Plus the inclusion of two soundtracks with an entirely new one made things more interesting. Isaac has been fairly popular and ALWAYS makes it in the top 10, usually top 5, with regards to new character demand for smash. As long as Nintendo or Sakurai don't ignore him again, Isaac has a pretty good chance of making it now based on popularity.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I think they'd be able to understand in spite of that. Either way, Isaac or the incorrect "Issac" is still going to be seen as the guy from Golden Sun. And on top of that, many people will likely describe is powers in a similar manner. Which would get the gist across.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do agree. And Isaac has definitely seen a surge in popularity due to his lack of being an AT. Isaac and K. Rool are also the characters I keep hearing about being requested the most overall from the various places I've gone, though Dixie would probably surpass Isaac if it wasn't for K. Rool. (Granted, a lot of people would jump to Isaac is K. Rool was already in as their #1 vote. I've seen tons of people saying they want both Isaac and Rool.)

Well, I basically discount Wolf all-together since as far as I'm concerned, he's in. With Lucas in, Wolf is right behind him. (If it was Wolf first I would worry slightly about Lucas.)
Mhmm, I discount Wolf too, I'd be hugely surprised if he wasn't already in development, or at least planned. The only reason I believe Lucas came first is so Wolf could come out around SF Wii U.

And I keep hearing about how Isaac has surged in popularity since being cut as an AT... but I just think it's most of his competition getting eliminated in one way or another. If anything his popularity seems like one of the only ones that held steady, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. o_o

I think they'd be able to understand in spite of that. Either way, Isaac or the incorrect "Issac" is still going to be seen as the guy from Golden Sun. And on top of that, many people will likely describe is powers in a similar manner. Which would get the gist across.
Yeah I mostly meant algorithm-wise, but even then people have persuaded me it'd still be pretty obvious.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mhmm, I discount Wolf too, I'd be hugely surprised if he wasn't already in development, or at least planned. The only reason I believe Lucas came first is so Wolf could come out around SF Wii U.

And I keep hearing about how Isaac has surged in popularity since being cut as an AT... but I just think it's most of his competition getting eliminated in one way or another. If anything his popularity seems like one of the only ones that held steady, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. o_o

Yeah I mostly meant algorithm-wise, but even then people have persuaded me it'd still be pretty obvious.
'Eh, I suppose you're right. It might be due to his lack of competition. I guess its moreso... comparatively, Isaac is higher on the polls now, but that's because he's still a viable candidate. If he misses getting into Smash and GS4 doesn't happen his popularity will DEFINITELY sink, though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, this could very well end up being his last real shot at inclusion.

Better make it count then!! >:D

ferioku

Smash Ace
I came back to say that I will be voting for Isaac.

I will be getting as much people to vote for him too. All my friends, even the ones that dislike smash :chuckle:

Arteen

Smash Lord
I voted for Isaac so hard.

Everyone should get out there and rock the vote.

We just need to synergize our efforts.

If we can get enough supporters, we'll be golden.

...I'll show myself out.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
The poll is like Venus Lighthouse and each vote helps him getting to the top, so let's vote away and see him letting out an howl on the aerie.

Isaac will be playable this time around and it will be thanks to us, faithful and loyal fans.

On the other hand though, on a Portuguese group of Smash, I've unfortunately seen most people voting for 3rd party characters (like Phoenix Wright and Rayman) and even in Pokémon Groups, people that don't even have the game are requesting Pokémon when the series already has 6 reps... Which kinda saddens me, because they will probably waste votes that could've been for Isaac in a series that is already well repped with Pokémon such as Sceptile (kinda understandable I guess) and for some stupid reason, Hawlucha...

EndlessRain

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBlindMan
3DS FC
1693-1682-5689
Hawlucha is far from a stupid idea. He's two feet tall, flies, and spars with sumos more than three and a half times his height and more than ten times his weight. And he's a luchador. What more do you want?
That said, there are enough Pokemon and I voted for Isaac anyway.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
I had no doubt when I saw the ballot at the direct. Isaac can be a thing now. So hyped for the way nintendo is requesting characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom