• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is your Gamestop tournament requiring Wiimote+nunchuck?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
So, I just found out my local gamestop is REQUIRING everyone that participates to use the wiimote+nunchuck in the tournament, i find it so ********, just wanted to give everyone a heads up im sure it will be the same for all the tournys nation wide..

also, a friend/employee thats part of the tournament says they are doing timed instead of stock, and not having unlocked characters, quite a disapointing first tourny

=/

Komatsu Masato

Smash Cadet
Yes; The official rules state that the Wii Remote/Nunchuck is required, and no outside controllers will be allowed.

Matches will be 1v1, 1 minute each. (This was to eliminate the 32 player maximum cap of teams)

And you have to look at well, it's a release tournament. I already figured when I first heard of this not to expect it to be like a standard tournament or MLG tournament. And yep, I was right.

Do not worry though, there will be plenty more tournaments to come. :) At least you get to have fun tommorow night bashing inexperienced people. ^^ Something you do not get with every tournament, but guaranteed with this one. :)

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Yup mine is like that too...have known that since like 2 weeks ago lol.

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Yes; The official rules state that the Wii Remote/Nunchuck is required, and no outside controllers will be allowed.

Matches will be 1v1, 1 minute each. (This was to eliminate the 32 player maximum cap of teams)

And you have to look at well, it's a release tournament. I already figured when I first heard of this not to expect it to be like a standard tournament or MLG tournament. And yep, I was right.

Do not worry though, there will be plenty more tournaments to come. :) At least you get to have fun tommorow night bashing inexperienced people. ^^ Something you do not get with every tournament, but guaranteed with this one. :)
EVERYONES INEXPERIENCED. their will be no noobs or pros tm except the people who have the *** version will have an advantage. BUT its a chance to play the game a few hours before its released :)

Komatsu Masato

Smash Cadet
EVERYONES INEXPERIENCED. their will be no noobs or pros tm except the people who have the *** version will have an advantage. BUT its a chance to play the game a few hours before its released :)
Ok; let me rephrase...people who have almost never played Smash, versus people who have played it since the original version. Pictures of the control scheme have already leaked out onto the net, so it should be fun :)

Regardless; I am looking forward to the tournament though. :) And yeah, that is a good advantage. ^^

domiNate

Smash Apprentice
Actually the wiimote and nunchuck makes it a very even playing field for all skill levels. Cause everyone's gonna be like wtf i meant to jump....god ****it.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
Well, the Wiimote and Nunchuck are for the Wii, and starting out with controllers from last generation in a tournament like this seems awkward. And what's wrong with not using unlockable characters? The game hasn't come out yet, and casuals don't want to come to it and see all the characters unlocked. If anything, this is a great tournament for people waiting the release of SSBB.

MoFro

Smash Rookie
Believe it or not, this is how the Charleston, SC tournament will be - I talked to a guy at Gamestop about it Thursday night:

- They are actually skipping Round 1 and going straight to the Round 2/District round. I think they decided to do this because the number of pre-orders wasn't really high enough to warrant a different tourney at each store, so this tourney will actually be NEXT Saturday.

- Only people who reserved the game can enter, have to present receipt at registration.

- They are providing wired GCN controllers instead of going with the Remote/Nunchuk setup

- Four-player melee with no items, random stages. Five minute rounds and the one with the highest score wins. If there aren't enough entrants they said they would consider 1v1 for 2 minute rounds.

- I don't know whether or not unlocked characters will be available, I forgot to ask but was planning on using Samus anyway.

- Free food and raffle prizes

- Finalists get a prize/trophy TBA at registration

- Overall winner will qualify for the Atlanta regional.

It was actually a guy at a different Gamestop than the one I reserved at, so I'm gonna call mine today and confirm that this is what they're doing too. Hopefully nobody envies Charleston too badly...

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
That's pretty lucky mofro, i just don't get how forcing nunchuck+wiimote increases or decreases business for gamestop in any way..

Top Bottom