• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is wave dash necessary with Sheik?

JacobARF

Smash Cadet
It feels like her wave dash doesn't go as far as Marth's (which is the character I'm thinking about maining if I don't main Sheik). Is it still worth wave dashing with Sheik?

Shrug

Smash Cadet
I think it's very important for her mobility. Since her dash is short, her dash dance game is not nearly as good as the dash dances of other top tier characters. However, she still needs to be able to adjust her spacing quickly. A simple wavedash backwards out of a run can be useful for baiting out moves. Then you can dash in and punish.

On top of its use in her neutral game, it's also very useful in her OOS game. Wavedashing out of shield can be really useful for escaping from unfavorable situations. There are also situations where an opponent will hit your shield, but they will be too far away for you to punish them (think Marth forward smashing your shield). In situations like that, wavedashing towards your opponent allows you to punish them much more effectively.

Her wavedash might not be as long as Marth's, but it still serves a very important purpose.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
It feels like her wave dash doesn't go as far as Marth's (which is the character I'm thinking about maining if I don't main Sheik). Is it still worth wave dashing with Sheik?
Virtually all characters benefit from wavelands and wavedashes.

You can interrupt your sprints and change direction using platforms. It's necessary to escape shield pressure etc.

Watch vids, see its uses.

Timmay08

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Timmay08
I find that wavedashing is important in developing any character. There's nothing that it does but improve each character. Of course with Sheik it may not be as necessary as other characters but it's useful for spacing and mindgames. Of course that goes without saying that wavelanding is important too but that's not limited to just Sheik. Baiting out attacks is something I still have to develop but I can say that Wavedashing can improve your Sheik game a lot. In short, yes it is necessary if you want to take Sheik to the next level.

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
Sheik's wavedash is actually very good. It among the shortest (of the entire cast even), but she is among the characters that have a 4 frame jump speed, the fastest in the game, which is probably more important.

We consider characters such as luigi or IC's wavedash to be good because their run/dash speeds are slow, wd helps them move around more quickly, but Marth, who has a pretty good dash/run, wouldn't really use his WD to go long distances, he would just dash/run there.

Same with Sheik, as her ground speed is pretty good, so it's not quite as important for her to have a long dash.

Claing

Smash Rookie
I main sheik and wave dashing is fundamental to my game. It is a crucial spacing tool to allow you to get a lot of punishes. Especially against spacies or marth. A missed shuffled nair or a missed f-smash by marth and you have all the opening you need to get a grab and start your combos. Obviously everyone plays differently though but I think that it incredibly useful to learn and integrate into your play.

HolyHam

Smash Rookie
Yes it is worth it. Ultimately if you want to reach full potential with any character wave dashing must be integrated. For Sheik, it can lead to better punishes, improved mobility and spacing, mind games, etc.

Dr. Dobis

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jopus77
3DS FC
1993-8200-6012
Sheik's roll is pretty slow so the wavedash is a great alternative. Not as long as Marth's, but it can still get you out of the way of an attack or set up spacing for a punish much faster than a roll can.

Bismo Funyuns

Smash Apprentice
Wavedashing is important for everyone. Armada would even use Peach's wavedash all the time, and Peach has the worst wavedash in the game.

Payton

Smash Cadet
Wave dashing with shiek is really crucial for mobility, escaping from shield pressure, dodging moves that you have read, etc.

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
I find Sheik's wavedash most useful for repositioning to get a grab, f-tilt, etc. It's very difficult to change direction after dashing as Sheik so having the ability to turn on a dime is perfect for baiting and regaining that momentum.

Top Bottom