• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is this version obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFyst

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-1491-9293
Does the 3ds version title still have potential to be anything other than the lesser played twin? What are people's thoughts on this?

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
Basically the answer to this conversation always goes like this
Wii U = Home use cause not everybody wants to travel with a wii u with them
3DS = Portable use
So saying the 3DS version is obsolete is like saying a DS is better than a snes it just goes down for personal preference and convenience

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
i told myself I'd play both but there is literally no reason to play 3DS smash now. Even with portability in mind, just ugh. I GUESS I might tote it around if I ever went to a tournament?

Grimmjow

Smash Rookie
NNID
DrUpload
3DS FC
4511-1387-0072
I dont think so, for me the portability is just perfect since im traveling a lot from home to the university. Both ver. Have their pros so calling one of them obsolete wouldnt be fair.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Got good equipment in Smash 3DS? You can always make a customization and transfer it over to Smash Wii U.

Soul.

No. To say that this version is obsolete is silly.
People still play the 3DS version.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
3DS version was a nice $40 demo, but yeah.

Well, it's not obsolete if you don't have a Wii U and the Wii U version I guess /shrug

Last edited:

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
In my opinion, not at all. There's pros and cons to each version. I own both, but I don't have much of a preference. I've been playing For Glory a lot on both, and if I'm using one I'll probably be spectating on the other. I use the 3DS to play with my friends as that's a lot easier than bringing my Wii U to school. I also do customization type stuff on the 3DS. If I'm playing online I try doing the Wii U though because of a better connection.

D

Deleted member

It's not obsolete.
3DS is still being played by lots of people.. so no.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431

Is it really that hard to accept that both versions can coexist?

I swear, everyweek we get the same thread.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
When you want to play Smash on the go, the 3ds is there for you. Plus I love Smash Run much more than Smash Tour.

Soul.

Smartphones > WeeBeeEsss

Home Console at home > Portable at home

Some people are broke so they can't afford a Wii U.
And if they can't afford getting a Wii U, is that a problem? Lots of people prefer handhelds more than home consoles.

Quillion

Smash Hero
If Smash 3DS is obsolete, it's your own fault for: a) having overblown expectations of Smash 3DS and b) not being smart and simply waiting for Smash U. Get over it.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
Smash 3DS is certainly not obsolete. First off, you certainly can't play SmashU on the go! Plus points for the 3DS already! And then there's Smash Run, exclusive to the 3DS version!

So no, I definitely don't think it's obsolete :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For me personally, it kinda is becoming that right now.

I still bring it into college everyday, but there is absolutely nothing left for me to do. Apart from the 5 Mii Hats I am missing (that I cannot influence getting), I have everything in the game. I've even read every single trophy description.

It's really just my custom build maker at this point. And I play Smash Run on the bus I guess. Still, I have no real use for it. I will have more use for it when the New 3DS comes out though.

I already had a 3DS for Pokémon; this version gave me my Smash fix for cheap so I didn't have to shell out for a Wii U and that version. For that, I am grateful. The only thing I really covet about the Wii U version is some of its stages, but it isn't worth it to me for buying a new system and game.

I still play this version on and off so it's not obsolete to me.

Last edited:

MushroomManiac

Smash Cadet
NNID
AndresGP
3DS FC
4425-1475-8736
I'd like to think of the 3DS version as the "take Smash on the go and play in short bursts" approach while the console version is more like the "Sit at home and really immerse yourself in the Smash world" kinda game.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
3DS version was a nice $40 demo, but yeah.

Well, it's not obsolete if you don't have a Wii U and the Wii U version I guess /shrug
It wasn't a demo. Stop spreading this bull****.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
It wasn't a demo. Stop spreading this bull****.
Aye. 3ds doesn't have as much content as the Wii U version, but the main purpose of the game is Smash. The extras are still nice even if they aren't as fleshed out. I could Smash all day on the 3ds if I had to.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess I'm one of the few who quite enjoy's playing both versions......

Eitherway, nope, the 3DS version has portability which is especially useful considering I'm always out and about and it has all the custom moves and everything I've unlocked in that game so I can use this version if I want to customize my characters and transfer them over to the Wii U version instead of unlocking the whole lot all over again on that version. Plus it has Smash Run, which I actually quite enjoyed a lot more than Smash Tour. Despite how cheap and hectic it sometimes can be.....

In the end, I guess it all depends on your own personal preferences and all. But to me, it isn't obsolete at all as it's still getting played despite owning the Wii U version.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I must be the only person that prefers the 3DS's cartoony look to the Wii U's shinier, realistic one.

Huh.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
I honestly haven't even touched the 3ds version that much aside from transferring equipment and custom moves. Also I unlocked practically all of the trophies and completed most of the challenges, so there isn't too much of a reason for me to return to it since I have the Wii U version.

This version is still relevant regardless of my personal tastes. It's good if people don't have the Wii U version and on the go, like many people in this thread stated already. Personally, since I have the Wii U version I can focus on other 3ds games that need my attention, such as Persona Q, Bravely Default, Metal Gear, and Resident Evil Revelations.

Jawnsunn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jawnsunn
3DS FC
3067-6003-9029
I must be the only person that prefers the 3DS's cartoony look to the Wii U's shinier, realistic one.

Huh.
Oh thank god I'm not the only person who prefers the cel-shaded look in the 3DS version.

I thought the animations and effects really pop with that style.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
There really is no downplaying the novelty of portable smash, so no.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I can't play Smash with my friends in the middle of class without it. So no. It's not.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
No, it's portable and you can transfer your data to the Wii U version. If you have both games and you're at home, then yeah you might use the Wii U Version at home only. But when travelling away from home, that's where the 3DS version comes in handy.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
As it's been stated many times before, more 3DS owners than WiiU owners, also some things, so Smash 3DS still alive, blah blah blah all that good jazz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom