• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this known?

Master Raven

Smash Master
I did some searching on these forums to see if this had already happened to anyone before, but since I can't find any topics on this, looks like I'll have to post it!

I was fighting a Link player on Final Destination, and as he jumped beneath the sloped ledge that leads to the edge, I accidentally used a Dsmash on the floor right above where he was and spiked him there. To give you a more clear idea of what I mean, here's a visual to show:

The brown square is DK and the green one is, of course, Link.

I can't confirm how useful this can be as I personally have no-one to test it with me, and it seems like something that would be almost entirely situational. It was a very interesting and satisfying KO though. :)

The Unlawful Salmon

Smash Cadet
If you aim your Foward Smash just right, you can hit them with that while they are hanging on the ledge like that too. It's very deceptive as most people think you cannot hit them, and they will just hang there waiting for you to wiff while letting there invincibilty frames go to waste. I'm not exactly sure if this works versus every character though. The D-Smash works on everyone though.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Dsmash hitbox extends low enough to hit someone on the edge, yes. This is known. The problem is that Dsmash has startup frames and the guy on the edge has invincibility frames. Once a reasonably intelligent player gets smashed off the edge once or twice you're not going to be landing this one much anymore.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
This is known already. The Dsmash isn't what spikes Link. Link goes up and to the left, just like he normally would. However, because the stage is in the way, he is stage spiked instead.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Oh okay. Thanks for the input guys.

Dsmash hitbox extends low enough to hit someone on the edge, yes. This is known. The problem is that Dsmash has startup frames and the guy on the edge has invincibility frames. Once a reasonably intelligent player gets smashed off the edge once or twice you're not going to be landing this one much anymore.
I didn't mean that the player was holding onto the edge, but rather just jumping underneath the sloped region that leads torward the edge as I've said.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Yeah I knew what you meant, but with auto-sweetspot + invincibility frames there aren't usually too many opportunities to use dsmash at ledge. But yeah, he just bonked his head against the stage really fast and shot down. Dsmash always hits your opponent upward.

Anyway it's totally situational but dsmash is amazing and this is great when it works.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Ive done this before on battlefield, but its situational. Maybe if you charge your d-smash while theyre on the ledge, you can bait them to wait it out on the ledge so they think they can punish you after you miss.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I don't remember if this was posted a while ago on a different thread, but the up tilt will also do this same stage spike. With Dk facing away from the edge, use the up tilt to sweet spot his hand and this will cause a spike.

Top Bottom