• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this game still fun?

JustTheTipperR

Smash Rookie
This is a serious question. Do you still legitimately enjoy playing this game? Over the last few weeks, I've been noticing that playing this game has caused more frustration than enjoyment. I'm finding it less and less fun getting smacked by disjointed hitboxes that are nowhere near the character model's body. It's becoming much less enjoyable jumping onto For Glory and having to keep fighting Cloud, Bayo, Ryu, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Mario, ZSS, and Link. As a matter of fact, every character in this game has at least one or two little quirks about them that are just so annoying to have to deal with. And I know that's the whole point of the game for each character to have unique traits and moves, but is having to deal with that still fun? Is getting uptilt by Mario still fun? Is getting spiked by ZSS at 50% still fun? Is having to deal with Cloud's ridiculous frame data and speed still fun? I know that some of the frustration with character match-ups gets leveled out at the higher level, but the large majority of people who play this game have work, school, and other interests that leave us no time to sit and practice SDI'ing out of Bayo's combos all day.

I know I sound like I'm just complaining and not "gitting gud" but its gotten to the point where even winning doesn't give me that satisfaction anymore. I win games online on For Glory or over wifi with my friends but the fun just seems to be lacking. It was a ton of fun in the beginning but now playing this game just feels like a frustrating chore.

You might think I'm just mad at the game and don't see where I'm coming from with this. I ask that you at least think about this question. Are you having fun playing Smash 4 or are you having fun because you're competing in a fighting game? Is it actually Smash 4 that's giving you enjoyment or are you just having fun winning and getting better at something?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions. There's no way I'm the only one that thinks this game is losing its fun value.

-Cr0w-

Smash Rookie
I can understand where you're coming from. Honestly though, it sounds like you might just need a small break from the game. In my own experience, it really does help me to just take a couple days away from FG and maybe just watch some videos of my favorite players to make me wanna play again.

The only thing that actually ruins the game for me is how toxic the Smash 4 community can be at times. Obviously every community has toxic players but for some reason this one gets to me the most. Probably cuz I co-main Cloud. Still though, just in general, it feels like if you play a top tier in this game people automatically think it's okay to bash you. The characters I mainly see this happen with are Bayo, Cloud, Diddy every so often, Rosa, ZSS, Sonic, and Mario. Hell, people even come after you if you play mid tiers like Luigi, Lucario, Falcon, DK, Bowser, or Ness.

I'm sure most of the community isn't like this but when I'm scrolling through comments on YT, Reddit, or even through Twitch Chat, it sure feels like it.

TL;DR - My advice would be to just take a day or two away from Smash 4. The game/characters are fun but the community for me is not.

D

Deleted member

Not for me, no. I stopped playing it ages ago and moved onto Xrd and now FighterZ. And pretty much for the reasons you described.

The difference between competitively playing a game designed as a fighting game and one not, is like night and day. A lot of those "little things" really add up to a more frustrating exp overall imo. Especially online.

Fazesupernappa

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
HONC#140
I don't really have much place to speak, since I don't really play smash 4 anymore since I dropped it for melee, but I've been seeing a lot of complaints about stuff like this, that it's boring and frustrating to play against characters that have such busted options sometimes. I personally didn't find it fun anymore after I picked up melee, but that's just me, it also doesn't help people who want to stick with the game when ZeRo has recently left and a lot of top players are just complaining all the time about Bayo and stuff like that. I guess if you don't find it fun anymore just drop it unless they fix the blatant problems it has, but that's up to you.

Cookie_Crumbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
oscarthewizird
Yep absolutely agree that smash 4 is no longer fun to play. I think the main problem for me is that the game just doesn't really feel good to control. I mean dont get me wrong Bayo sucks and all that but wave-dashing, dash-dancing and all the other movement options melee had made it more fun, yknow.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
The game is still fun to me. I rarely attend tournies so I just lab, take notes, talk with the community and watch matches.

As For Glory, most of my time there was during the release of Smash 4 where I would spend my whole day there. As I got more competitive, I gravitate away from For Glory and eventually began to despise it. Every so often I go back to For Glory in an attempt to play a game with someone or in hopes of running into a streamer or an online friend.

I immediately run into a DDD, lose, and go on tilt because of the lag and I go back to labbing or turn off Smash. It might be good to avoid stuff that frustrates you but sometimes it is not best to run from it.

My enjoyment from Smash comes from that it is one of my favorite videogame series and ever since I learned there was a competitive scene, I strived to get better. I'm aware that I could get into other FGC games but I'm fine being a spectator now for those games.

I stuck with Smash 4 for over 3 years so I do not feel like leaving it, besides I do not own the consoles nor the games for the new fighting games on the market; besides the Xbox 360 for UMVC3, P4A, Blazblu, and SFxT.

And I'm ok with that. I've been a Wi-Fi warrior when it comes to FGC games, Smash 4 is the one game that is very difficult for me to perform well on Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
The game is still fun to me. I rarely attend tournies so I just lab, take notes, talk with the community and watch matches.

As For Glory, most of time their was during the release of Smash 4 where I would spend my whole day there. Aa I got more competitive, I shy'd away from For Glory and eventually began to despise it. Every so often I go back to For Glory in an attempt to play a game with someone or in hopes of running into a streamer or an online friend.

I immediately run into a DDD, lose, and go on tilt because of the lag and I go back to labbing or turn off Smash. It might be good to avoid stuff that frustrates you but sometimes it is not best to run from it.

My enjoyment from Smash comes from that it is one of my favorite videogame series and ever since I learned there was a competitive scene, I strives to get better. I'm aware that I could get into other FGC games but I'm fine being a spectator now for those games.

I stuck with Smash 4 for over 3 years so I do not feel like leaving it, besides I do not own the consoles nor the games for the new fighting games on the market; besides the Xbox 360 for UMVC3, P4A, Blazblu, and SFxT.

And I'm ok with that. I've been a Wi-Fi warrior when it comes to FGC games, Smash 4 is the one game that is very difficult for me to perform well on Wi-Fi.
I literally solved the WiFi issue with my 3DS. I have been playing against level 9 CPU's for a long time. Fighting real life opponents in lag throws off my game. Cool stuff with Sheik that I normally do under non WiFi, doesn't carry over very well in WiFi. There was a lot of Ness players (unsurprisingly) in FG, and it feels repetitive. On one of my first matches returning to FG, I encountered a Ness player as Sheik. I ended up getting 2 stocked due to very minor input lag and normal lag throwing off my Sheik (although I then proceed to obliterate him in Ness dittos).

Online, although it is a big improvement from Brawl's, a flaw with SSB4 (especially casually), but I will always seem to come back to it due to reasons Galaxy said.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can still do stuff like texture, model, and moveset hacks if you're not too content with what the game has given you. The only downside is that you can't use the stuff online if it's going to affect gameplay in any way.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I had trouble enjoying Sm4sh to start with largely due to how the meta started off being very grab centric and my constant character crisis. Wolf was taken out, Pikachu lacked his chaingrab and abusable Quick Attack Cancel and Ganondorf was still terrible so I had no one from Brawl I could just fall too. The first few characters I picked up were all pretty bad too (Lucina, King Dedede, Bowser Jr., Ganondorf).

Looking at the game in its current state, I only really enjoy it when I'm doing FG dubs with my cousin and even then, there's certain character combinations that just aren't fun. Singles in general in this game are very boring due to the limited options and doubles would be better if Cloud wasn't a thing.

I get some odd sense of enjoyment from Classic 9.0 and the event matches where you pick your own character on Hard but that's mostly just me enjoying being able to exploit the AI.

I rarely go online without my cousin since the difference between online and offline is so drastic.

Tl;dr I only enjoy this game when I'm playing cooperatively with my cousin.

Cookie_Crumbs

Smash Rookie
NNID
oscarthewizird
You can still do stuff like texture, model, and moveset hacks if you're not too content with what the game has given you. The only downside is that you can't use the stuff online if it's going to affect gameplay in any way.
Oh absolutely. Thats why im so ecstatic about 4xm, it gives the fun gameplay of melee with the fun characters of smash 4. I really hope that mod takes of and gets a scene.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
The same thing happened to me a while back. I was playing Melee having fun as usual when I noticed a Smash 4 tournament in my area. I started preparing for it in online for glory. I almost quit smash altogether. Then I realized part of the reason was because I was playing Smash 4 just for the tournament, not for fun. The other cause was, well, Smash 4 is not as fun as the other Smash games(at least for me). I play Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, Smash 4, and even Smash Flash non stop, choosing one based off of whatever I feel like. Obviously I'll focus on one more closer to tournament time, but the minute I'm not enjoying it I'll switch to a different Smash game, or sometimes a completely different game altogether (ex. an RPG/Open World). I also will just randomly pick a new character I'm terrible at and try to learn them. Learning new characters helps a ton as well.

Hope you keep enjoying Smash!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
It's fun, but has certainly died down. The patches and new stages were things to keep interest alive by slowly balancing the meta to be less... Monotonous. But without patches or promises of new DLC, there's just not much of a reason to play anymore.

With friends and as a party game, sure. Competitively, sure. Online where anytime fun can be had, not anymore. Though to be fair the developers sealed that coffin the moment they made For Glory have totally flat stages (for some reason).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's fun, but has certainly died down. The patches and new stages were things to keep interest alive by slowly balancing the meta to be less... Monotonous. But without patches or promises of new DLC, there's just not much of a reason to play anymore.

With friends and as a party game, sure. Competitively, sure. Online where anytime fun can be had, not anymore. Though to be fair the developers sealed that coffin the moment they made For Glory have totally flat stages (for some reason).
Omega Form stages don't have any stage hazards, and it's also pretty obvious why they're used instead of the normal stages; some normal stages are either very huge, have hazardous beasts (such as Ridley, Metal Face, and Yellow Devil) interfering with your match, and even autoscroll.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Things have certainly died down due to the lack of patches and continued support, but on the other hand there are many fighting games that continue to develop for years after their initial releases. I think Smash 4 meta-game still has plenty of life left in it. I don't play it as much as I used to, but it's still my personal favorite game in the series thus far.

With Omega Mode I find it both a disappointment, an admirable addition, and a misstep on part of both the community and developers.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Do you still legitimately enjoy playing this game?
Yes.

Over the last few weeks, I've been noticing that playing this game has caused more frustration than enjoyment.
Why?

I'm finding it less and less fun getting smacked by disjointed hitboxes that are nowhere near the character model's body.
Are you referring to disjointed hitboxes, or extended hitboxes? A disjointed hitbox would be Marth's sword. An extended hitbox would be Pikachu's quick attack, where upon performing the attack, Pikachu can be grabbed, even when he's not near you.

It's becoming much less enjoyable jumping onto For Glory and having to keep fighting Cloud, Bayo, Ryu, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Mario, ZSS, and Link.
Then don't go on For Glory. Of the characters you listed here, I encounter Captain Falcon, Link, and Mario more than any of the other characters. Why do you have a problem with these characters?

As a matter of fact, every character in this game has at least one or two little quirks about them that are just so annoying to have to deal with.
Since you're aware that you'll have to deal with "at least one or two little quirks" from "every character", why don't you learn how to deal with them, rather than complaining? If you spent as much time and effort learning as you do complaining, I'm sure you would accomplish a lot more. The way I see it is if you're not performing well, it's on you.

And I know that's the whole point of the game for each character to have unique traits and moves, but is having to deal with that still fun?
Yes. Unless you're not competitive.

Is getting uptilt by Mario still fun?
That's not even relevant because a lot of characters can get out of Mario's u-tilt. The way I get out of u-tilt is that when I get thrown down, I know the player is going to use u-tilt. I take the first hit because it's out of my power to do anything else. After the first hit, I jump out. If I tried jumping out upon the first u-tilt, I'd be stuck without a jump and take unnecessary damage. I could use screw attack if necessary, but I never have to. I end up forcing the player to try for another u-tilt, which he fails to connect, or he has to adapt to with a d-throw -> u-tilt -> up special.

Is getting spiked by ZSS at 50% still fun?
There's a lot of time when ZSS uses kick flip. Unless your opponent reads your air-dodge, you can avoid the spike.

Is having to deal with Cloud's ridiculous frame data and speed still fun?
You main Mario, from what it appears. Cloud shouldn't be an issue for you.

I know that some of the frustration with character match-ups gets leveled out at the higher level, but the large majority of people who play this game have work, school, and other interests that leave us no time to sit and practice SDI'ing out of Bayo's combos all day.
You don't need to practice SDI against Bayonetta's witch twist "all day". The first witch twist can be avoided by SDI'ing up and away. If the player reads you, she's forced to perform another jump, which actually results in her being unable to continue her combo. If you watched Tweek's video with Keitaro and Cosmos, you should know this. If you fail to SDI up and away from the first witch twist, then you can SDI down and away from subsequent witch twists. Tweek mentions that he SDIs any attack. You can make it a habit of yours, even with work, school, and other interests. You should make a schedule.

I know I sound like I'm just complaining and not "gitting gud" but its gotten to the point where even winning doesn't give me that satisfaction anymore.
Then don't play anymore.

I win games online on For Glory or over wifi with my friends but the fun just seems to be lacking. It was a ton of fun in the beginning but now playing this game just feels like a frustrating chore.
Then don't play anymore.

You might think I'm just mad at the game and don't see where I'm coming from with this. I ask that you at least think about this question. Are you having fun playing Smash 4 or are you having fun because you're competing in a fighting game? Is it actually Smash 4 that's giving you enjoyment or are you just having fun winning and getting better at something?
Why can't it be both? Your questions are false dichotomies. You can have fun playing Sm4sh for entertainment and for being competitive. That's like asking, "Are you having fun playing football, or are you having fun because you're competing in football?" It's a stupid question.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I lost interest in this game about a month ago. The only person that kept me going was my brother, because I knew how much he wanted to get better at this game, and if I stopped playing, he'd probably have nobody else to really play on a regular basis, so I just stuck through it. I'm getting that spark of interest back, though. I want to be as good as the people who use the same character as me, if not better. That's what's currently keeping me motivated to play this game. People from a casual standpoint to a top level player can complain about Bayonetta all they want, and how busted she is, but in the end, I don't believe anything is going to change from here on out. And despite me hating certain match ups, I will continue to grind through and become better. My interest in this game isn't the same as it was very early on, but I think I will always love this game, until the next Smash game comes around. Plus, I can't play as Ness in any other game, because we're not getting anymore EarthBound games. :(

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
It never gets boring for me. Maybe because most of the time I challenge my self and use low tiers like Yoshi, Roy, Bowser Jr. and more. Just getting those wins are really cool and feel well deserved. I would try some low tier characters that are overlooked most of the time and think about their reaction when they lose. You will for sure get a couple giggles out of it.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
It never gets boring for me. Maybe because most of the time I challenge my self and use low tiers like Yoshi, Roy, Bowser Jr. and more. Just getting those wins are really cool and feel well deserved. I would try some low tier characters that are overlooked most of the time and think about their reaction when they lose. You will for sure get a couple giggles out of it.
Yoshi low tier? First time I have heard of it.

I like playing with lower ranked characters as well. I could throw out characters like :4zelda::4ganondorf::4drmario::4wendy: and have fun with it.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I agree with you, because using the same character you main all the time can kind of become stale. I started using Dr. Mario a few months ago, and while he's not the best character out there, I do have a lot of fun using him. I even tried out Peach, Wario, Lucas, and a few others. I want to say it also helps me think of different ways to play this game since you can't just go in with the same tactic as your main when using another character who is nothing like them.

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
Mid-low tier
Yoshi is considered by some to be low tier due to awful matchups against high and top tiers despite having decent enough mid tier matchups. Most mid tiers have better overall matchup spreads than Yoshi.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yoshi is considered by some to be low tier due to awful matchups against high and top tiers despite having decent enough mid tier matchups. Most mid tiers have better overall matchup spreads than Yoshi.
It probably doesn't help knowing that Yoshi has one of the worst grab games available. His throws lack KO potential, and he can't perform effective follow-ups, due to the ending lag that he suffers from afterwards.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi is nowhere near a low tier. I can not believe that people consider Yoshi a low tier.
Yoshi does not have that bad of match-ups against the top tiers. Yoshi's only problematic match-ups where a secondary is better are Diddy Kong and Cloud. Sure Yoshi does still struggle a little with top tiers, but not as bad as most people think. Yoshi is a mid tier in my opinion, mainly because Yoshi's results are stagnant and Yoshi does have some glaring flaws like what Mario & Sonic Guy said. However, Yoshi still has some good strengths that keep Yoshi out of low tier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom