• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this fair...? Let alone legal?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can think of a lot of good things I can use with $300 some-what dollars. Course, in college you think of things towards school; but heck we splurge too. ;) But even though we're heavy gamers, we don't blow every cent we get on gaming stuff. There is more to life then games, believe it or not. ^_^

$300 towards gas, oh yah.
$300 towards a good laptop or a computer.
$300 towards college (in your case).
$300 towards a lot of awesome movies.

Dunno, use your imagination. ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If I had 300 bucks, I'd save it up for a trip somewhere.

Skler

Smash Master
On the subject of grammar.

They said, "You can get anything you want other than that, save for a playstation 3 or get a bunch of wii games."

The get is a dead give away. It must be they want him to save for a ps3 or get a bunch of wii games, not "you can get anything you want other than that, except for a ps3 or get a bunch of wii games." The get is out of place if you use save as except, so they really are just saying get anything but an Xbox.

The sentence should read "You can get anything you want other than that; save for a playstation 3 or get a bunch of wii games." Punctuation error!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Except that he typed it, not his parents, so what his parents really meant is lost in translation

.Marik

is a social misfit
Everybody basically said everything that I could've said.

So, what they said.

And yes, it's legal that they can say what you are allowed to buy.

They are your parents. Simple as.

Be greatful that you have them.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
"You can get anything you want other than that, save for a playstation 3 or get a bunch of wii games."
What it should have said was:

You can get anything you want other than that; save for a playstation 3 or get a bunch of wii games.

If they meant you can't get a PS3 or a bunch of Wii games, they/he would have worded it different.

M@v

Subarashii!
As said:

1. They pay the bills
2. Your not 18
3. They likely bought you the systems you sold
4. They support you. Think of the roof over your head, the food on the table, etc.
5. PS3>360 (sorry i had too:))

hectichobo

Smash Ace
@ people saying they will let me get a playstation 3 and not an xbox 360 because they think xbox 360 has too much mature content, that is not true, they said they would rather see me save my money. && I had GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas for my PS2... so I don't think that's it.

@ people saying they bought me the stuff i sold... they didn't.. i bought it with the money I earn from chores.

hectichobo

Smash Ace

this may be so, I guess his parents are just those type of people who don't even want anything Microsoft related, it's a shame but oh well, what can we do about it? squat, that's what.

...No... That's not it. I have a Windows XP computer, My Sister has a Windows XP Laptop, and my father has a Windows Vista laptop.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
@ people saying they will let me get a playstation 3 and not an xbox 360 because they think xbox 360 has too much mature content, that is not true, they said they would rather see me save my money. && I had GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas for my PS2... so I don't think that's it.
hmm... o..kay, anyway I do have to agree with you, PS3 indeed has more mature content, look at GTA for example, I guess maybe they said that since XBox360 mainly focuses around shooting games and I guess that played a factor in your parents decision.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
@ people saying they bought me the stuff i sold... they didn't.. i bought it with the money I earn from chores.
This made me lol. Hard. Earning money from chores doesn't make it your rightfully earned money. Your parents probably work their ***** off to make you breakfast, lunch and dinner and they don't make you pay them for those "chores". In the end, it's still money coming out of their pockets.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Save your money for a console that's known to fry out before you even use it? O_o

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still think the fact that they said anything but an X-Box means they're probably getting you one for Christmas or whatever. My parents gave that away a few times.

OmegaXXII

I still think the fact that they said anything but an X-Box means they're probably getting you one for Christmas or whatever. My parents gave that away a few times.

hmm. that's a good point but still, if a 360 was their X-mas intention as a gift, why not let hectichobo buy a 360, and I guess they could alternatively give him a PS3 or Wii instead...(?)

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
This, or they're obsessively paranoid of the RRoD. I'm obsessively paranoid about the RRoD, hence why I let my sibling buy a 360 and gots me a PS3 instead. The cake is not a lie.

Matt

Banned via Administration
God, I just wish more parents would stop their 13 year-olds from getting a 360. Bunch of ignorant loud whiny little racist sexist insensitive selfish demon-spawns.

Except for hectichobo. He's special~

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
You're absolutely right to question the legality of your parents' decision, dude. This is pretty serious. I see this playing out like Romeo and Juliet:

Hectichobo's parents are like the Montagues. His stern father is at the head of Verona Maine's largest playstation fanboy family. Young hobo falls in love with a youthful, pale skinned xbox 360, but his parents angrily forbid their love due to the long standing feude between his house and the house of Microsoft.

Hobo however, not to be deterred, is overcome with the firey passion posessed only by youth and buys and marries an xbox 360 in secret with the ebay money he mentioned. Hobo and his 360, having consumated their marriage, flee Maine together.

Happiness is not so easily achieved however, as the xbox red rings in the final act.

Sorry. I have a cold and keep having really weird daydreams. Anyway, chin up hectichobo! In a few short years you'll be working at your local Mcdonalds and earning enough money to buy your own consoles, which is what my parents told me when they swore to never buy me another video game again.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
You're absolutely right to question the legality of your parents' decision, dude. This is pretty serious. I see this playing out like Romeo and Juliet:

Hectichobo's parents are like the Montagues. His stern father is at the head of Verona Maine's largest playstation fanboy family. Young hobo falls in love with a youthful, pale skinned xbox 360, but his parents angrily forbid their love due to the long standing feude between his house and the house of Microsoft.

Hobo however, not to be deterred, is overcome with the firey passion posessed only by youth and buys and marries an xbox 360 in secret with the ebay money he mentioned. Hobo and his 360, having consumated their marriage, flee Maine together.

Happiness is not so easily achieved however, as the xbox red rings in the final act.
Pas, you have just won this thread.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Pas, that was an epic post.

But seriously... Nintendo > 360 > Sony.

M@v

Subarashii!

Sorry. I have a cold and keep having really weird daydreams. Anyway, chin up hectichobo! In a few short years you'll be working at your local Mcdonalds and earning enough money to buy your own consoles, which is what my parents told me when they swore to never buy me another video game again.

wow. lol. Romeo and juliet wins the thread.

hectichobo

Smash Ace

Finally, atleast some people understand... >.<
And @ everyone saying to get a wii, I already have one.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way

That was an awesome post

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
LOL at Pas's post.

Also, I don't understand the logic of "your parents paid you, so they control how you spend your money." Does that mean that it would be okay if your boss at work told you that you can't spend your paycheck on something because he paid you?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
LOL at Pas's post.

Also, I don't understand the logic of "your parents paid you, so they control how you spend your money." Does that mean that it would be okay if your boss at work told you that you can't spend your paycheck on something because he paid you?
Not quite the same now, is that? In fact, not at all the same. Completely different.

At a job or place of business, you are working for a predetermined wage or salary, and your employer is required by law to pay you what you have earned; that money is legally yours. You pay taxes on it, you own it, you use it.

On the other hand, hobo is 13, lives with his parents. His parents earn money and pay taxes, provide shelter, food and security, and have absolutely no obligation to give their children any money whatsoever. Also, he's 13. Under their house, they can pretty make whatever rules they'd like. Did I mention he's 13?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Not quite the same now, is that? In fact, not at all the same. Completely different.

At a job or place of business, you are working for a predetermined wage or salary, and your employer is required by law to pay you what you have earned; that money is legally yours. You pay taxes on it, you own it, you use it.

On the other hand, hobo is 13, lives with his parents. His parents earn money and pay taxes, provide shelter, food and security, and have absolutely no obligation to give their children any money whatsoever. Also, he's 13. Under their house, they can pretty make whatever rules they'd like. Did I mention he's 13?
Good point, but still, if you're not going to let your child actually spend his money, then why bother giving him money in the first place? It just seems kind of counter-productive to me. :ohwell:

OmegaXXII

hmm... comparing a son/parent relationship to Romeo and Juliet? now that is pure genius ;)

Overload

Smash Lord
Fair? Not really. Legal? Yes.

My advice: Spend 100 of it on whatever, put the rest away for college. May seem irrelevant now but when you get to that age you will be wishing you hadn't spent so much money when you were younger.

Top Bottom