• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there no hope against Kirby, Olimar, or Meta Knight?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
No matter what I do, I can never seem to get past either of these three as Ike. They're just too **** fast and make it seem ridiculously easy to counter every last thing I do. Matchups or otherwise, it feels like both a handicap and an absolute struggle to maintain a decent match against competitive players of these characters without accidentally falling into a trap and losing it all in a matter of seconds.

It's gotten to the point that I wonder if I should continue using Ike for my serious metagame or not. He's mid-tier, so it's not like he doesn't have a chance. At the same time, his weak points are obvious and his good matchups are few and far in between. But it just gets ridiculous (like Fox vs. Peach, Melee style) when a pro Kirby, or even a decent Kirby, ruins all that Ike fought for.

That said, what are the best things I can use against these guys? And is it worth continuing or should I find a new tourney main?

•Col•

Smash Champion
Uh... Kirby isn't too hard for Ike... And Metaknight isn't totally impossible (Not that he's easy at all either, though =P)... But yeah, Olimar is one of, if not THE hardest matchup for Ike...

If you haven't already, read the stickied Matchup guide... Mostly everything that you can do against a MK or Olimar is posted there...

As for Kirby, I dunno... Kirby's like to be very aerial most of the time (*shot*), but Aether can help to stop that sometimes... At least he's a light character(yay, even EARLIER ko's :D ), and you have tons more range than him... xD

He can be tough to hit sometimes though, so all I can say is be careful... Can't say I have too much experience with the matchup, sorry... ^_^;;

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kirby should not be giving you a problem, Meta Knight is okay if you can keep your distance and learn to read your opponent, and Olimar is one of Ike's worst matchups.

If you want to keep using Ike competitively, that is up to you, ike has his bad matchups and his good matchups, but it's mostly about knowing your opponent, this isn't MK where you can go auto-pilot, you have to work to get better with Ike. Get that in your head.

/thread.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Along with what the other people said, kirby shouldn't give you too much of a hard time if you space and time attacks well. Ike is a type of character where you need to almost know the other character as well as your opponent.

Predicting the most likely movement of the opponent and punishing him for his decision is what Ike does best. Couple this with knowledge of range, options, etc. Abuse Ike's range and weigh in his options in certain moments is all I have to say

Top Bottom