• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there interest in Brawl Netplay via Dolphin?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
As many of you may have seen, for the past year, a lot of players here and some developers at Dolphin have helped make Melee play well online. As we've expanded, tested, and worked with the emulator, we've found that the possibilities are beyond what we originally planned.

I've been running and working with Melee players for a long time, and we're working to establish and online community. With work put into Wii stuff for Project M, by default, Brawl now syncs without issue. I don't have the proper knowledge of Brawl to really do all that much with it.

One of the main problems with playing Brawl Online via wifi is that wifi is incredibly laggy. Assuming Brawl is the same as melee (120 inputs per second on a gamecube controller, more on Wiimote/Classic Controller, you can correct me if I'm wrong) that would mean it has about 14 buffer on the best possible latency on wifi. If you consider that Michigan to California buffer on Dolphin Netplay is only 4 - 5 buffer, you can imagine how much more playable it online would be.

On top of that, Dualcore Netplay developed for Melee also works on Brawl's engine, meaning that you can play via Dualcore without any risk of desyncing (due to that) if you're both setup properly. That makes netplay much easier to do on most people.

Here are the current problems you'd have to deal with, but are being worked on.

1: No Classic Controller/Wiimote support. Only GameCube Controllers work.
2: No savefile syncing. You have to run with no memory data and use cheats to unlock things. GameCube games JUST got savefile syncing over netplay, and Wii games should follow soon.
3: Your computer needs to be able to run the game full speed. And the internet requirements are higher due to using more inputs and lower latency. Most connections, this won't be a problem.
4: If you're setup wrong, it will desync. We're working on making it so that the emulator detects this and automatically fixes problems. For now, though, you just have to setup right.
5: It requires an ISO file. If you have a Wii, you can pretty easily legally dump your ISO. You can't just put a disc into your PCs disc drive due to various issues, including the fact that most DVD drives can't read Wii games.
6: Using the built in cheats for unlocking everything creates a plethora of messages you need to skip. In Melee, we handled this via cheats to disable the messages, but in Brawl I don't have enough knowledge to even start on such a thing. If we have savefile syncing, that's partially mitigated, but it's always best to have everything unlocked no matter what.

Other than that, I've played Project M, Brawl and Melee on netplay, and so have a lot of other players. The Project M players on our IRC consider it FAR superior to Wifi (and some have even refused to use Wifi after trying netplay!)

The last thing I have to say is that anyone can take Brawl on Netplay via Dolphin right now. It works. What Global Melee (and the Developers of Dolphin assisting us) want to do is make this netplay into something anyone can setup and play, assuming there is enough interest for such a community. We were very happy with the way the Melee Community took a chance with Netplay, and soon the emulator will be ready for Brawl.

What do you guys think? What needs to be done to make Brawl work well? Is there any interest considering there is already online play via wifi? As someone who used to play Brawl on Wifi, I really do believe if there isn't any interest, there really should be. Thank you for reading through, and please let me know what thoughts you have.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
That was actually one of my concerns Brawl via Dolphin and netplay. But, the trade-off to setting it up on an emulator is getting 1/6th to 1/8th the latency in same region games.

Singe

Smash Rookie
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
I feel there is some interest in Super Smash Bros. Brawl via Netplay, as I do not have a Wii (U) in order to play online, but I have a computer that can effectively play the game maxed out in any resolution along with reasonable bandwidth. The only issue is that many players who tend to have the requirements for emulating Super Smash Bros. Brawl tend to not bother considering emulation at all. Not many console gamers actually buy hardware that can support emulation in the first place, however I have hope due to the Maxwell GPUs coming up in this quarter, which would be more effective along with a decent CPU.

I would seriously support Dolphin via Netplay as much as I can, however it is limited to the audience who can support emulation (which is more difficult due to the higher requirements of Brawl). The only way I can compete with others is to play locally or to consider this option.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
"4-5 buffer". Does that mean it feels like playing on an HDTV with 4 frames of lag? I don't know how playable that is, I might rather not play at all.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
"4-5 buffer". Does that mean it feels like playing on an HDTV with 4 frames of lag? I don't know how playable that is, I might rather not play at all.
Buffer doesn't = lag, it just means your inputs will go through easier and can be less frame perfect if that makes sense, the timing wont matter as much.

Also, I have no idea why there's no Brawl IRC or netplay community, Melee players and Project M use it, I know 2 high level Brawl players including Mr. R play Project M on dolphin netplay, but no one plays Brawl for whatever reason. Brawl wifi is terrible and is getting shut down soon, so yeah Brawl online with Dolphin will be awesome, and hopefully soon we will have an IRC and people actually playing, I can't wait.

Last edited:
Top Bottom