• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there ever a definitive situation of right and wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
You are still missing the point. The Earth can be measured. It can be proven to be spherical. Hell if you go to certain places you can see the curvature of the earth. So asking a majority opinion does not make any sense. But right and wrong can only be ascertained by majority opinion in a given society. There is no other way.
there was no way to measure the earth back then though. but if the majority thought it was flat and that's all people had to go by then, does that mean they're right? are you flip-flopping?

simply because it is the only thing we can take doesn't mean it's right. i'm asking for what is right, not what is done or their opinion.

And yes you are right. Nothing can be defined as ultimately right or wrong. but that was never the point here.
that is the point. the first post clearly asks can right and wrong ever be definitive, in other words, absolute. the only way to prove this is logically.

I said that the society you live in decides what is right and wrong. This does not mean that a society can say what is ultimately right or wrong, just what is right or wrong for their own society, whether that be 300 million people in the US or 40 people in some African tribe. Each society decides what is right or wrong for their society.
i agree with this.

If you still do not agree with this, then why don't you tell me where right and wrong come from? So far you have only been stating that societies enforce right and wrong but you never have said where it comes from.
it comes from environmental factors really. what you were surrounded by and how you were brought up. again, simply relative to the society.

if we say it's relative, then it will NEVER be definitive (which is what the OP asked).

Kur

Smash Journeyman
there was no way to measure the earth back then though. but if the majority thought it was flat and that's all people had to go by then, does that mean they're right? are you flip-flopping?
No I am not flip flopping. You are missing the point. I am not appealing to a majority to make a point. I am just not doing that. I am stating that the majority decides what is right or wrong, as you just agreed to later in your post.

And there is never any way to conclusively prove anything right or wrong even if you can precisely measure it. and that is because there could always be a more precise tool invented later, or new information may change current thinking. The best we can do it say that "X is right until better information comes along"

simply because it is the only thing we can take doesn't mean it's right. i'm asking for what is right, not what is done or their opinion.
But as you yourself have said, right and wrong are subjective. They are only opinions. It can not be more that what it is.

that is the point. the first post clearly asks can right and wrong ever be definitive, in other words, absolute. the only way to prove this is logically.
this is not even the point i am trying to make right now. All of this started when somebody asked "Who even decides what is right or wrong?" I answered "The society you live in." And you disagreed with me starting this wonderfully long debate we have been having.

i agree with this.
That is the point I have been trying to make this entire time. Once you understand who decides what is right and wrong I was then going to move on to how it relates to the OP original question.

it comes from environmental factors really. what you were surrounded by and how you were brought up. again, simply relative to the society.
Nothing I haven't been saying this whole time.

if we say it's relative, then it will NEVER be definitive (which is what the OP asked).
I was not arguing this topic until this point. I think that may be where the confusion came from. Though I thought I pointed that out before.

But the OP original question was "Is there ever a definitive situation of right and wrong?" But even though it says 'definitive' he doesn't really define it. Is he talking about definitive across the universe? Definitive on earth, definitively right or wrong in our own society? etc.

The more you break it down, the easier it is to answer the question positively. But even if we do not break it down we can say that there is a definitive right or wrong across all societies because there are a few things that every society considers right or wrong. Every single society on earth has laws against murder. Some societies find it more wrong than others, some societies may think that killing a woman, or a rival, is not murder, but every society on earth believes that the killing of another innocent person for no reason is wrong. Of course some societies have a different definition of 'person' than we do. Some may think only men can be 'murdered' some may think that only men of a certain religious faith can be 'murdered'. But the point is still that they view murder as wrong.

Since there is no arbitrary outside force telling us what is right or wrong, since right or wrong can only be determined by society, and that universally every society finds murder of an innocent to be wrong, I can say that definitively, murder of an innocent person for no other reason than your own pleasure, is wrong. And this has been so since the concepts of right and wrong have been with us and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

this also plays back into my original post on the subject, that it also depends on how much detail you are going to put into the situation you are asking about. It is much harder to say that murder is always wrong than it is to say murder of an innocent is wrong. And it is easier still to say murder of an innocent for no other reason than your own pleasure is wrong.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
hmm.. though he doesn't really define it, the way he asked his question seemed to be more of a 'is right and wrong ever 100% certain'?

of course he needs to come back and clarify himself but either way it looks like we pretty much agree.

as far as laws and society goes, yeah, they define right and wrong pretty much.

however, they do not define it for every living thing.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Is there ever any situation where an answer is always right or always wrong? Or is everything situational? Example: Murder. If someone got killed, you would probably think that the murderer was the bad guy. Well, what if it was self defense or something similar? Is everything based on situation, or is there an action or decision that is always right or wrong?
I think lots of stuff is situational. You can't murder someone in self defense. Murder is killing an innocent person in cold blood.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
if that's the case then society doesn't even enter the picture, since, you know, that is an opinionated question.
Even though he reworded the question, it still is not specific enough. Society can enter the picture because the question still only deals with right and wrong as we understand it.

For example. Humans may think that massive balls of fusing hydrogen (stars) are right, mostly because without one particular star, we would not be here. But in the universe there is much more empty space than there are stars, so maybe according to the universe, stars are wrong? Maybe according to hydrogen which may not care to be fused into helium thinks stars are very wrong indeed, though helium may think stars are just wonderful.

But a realist would simply say that the universe, and hydrogen, has no right and wrong because they are not a conscious entity as we humans are.

So still, the only concepts of right and wrong we have are the ones decided on by society, and as I said earlier, every society shares at least a few similar concepts of what is right and what is wrong. Those few things could be considered 'universally' right or wrong.

Murder of an innocent for pleasure - always wrong

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
but if all you have are just opinions, then it is never definitive. not even murdering innocents for pleasure; because if the murderer is pleasured, there's no way to prove him wrong.

Kur

Smash Journeyman
but if all you have are just opinions, then it is never definitive. not even murdering innocents for pleasure; because if the murderer is pleasured, there's no way to prove him wrong.
It is definitive in the sense that society says it is wrong. According to society, the murderer is wrong. Since there is no other way to judge right and wrong, society is what we have to work with.

And keep in mind, unless you can scientifically provide enough evidence to support God and his involvement with our concepts of right and wrong, then societies opinion is the highest form of truth on the matter that we will ever know.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
you seem to somehow link 'only way' with 'is the way' which is invalid in proving anything. again, if all we could see from the earth is that it's flat, that doesn't mean it's flat.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I would like to think that there are definitive lines of good and evil, but I don't believe that to be true. All ethics is relative, it depends on the society and the situation.

Murder of an innocent for pleasure - always wrong
Enter Nazi Germany, where it was not only not wrong to murder Jews, but the government itself encouraged it.
Abu Ghraib prison, murder or torture of prisoners was necessary or "just fun".

With a clear mind and no consideration for situation murder or whatever crime may seem easy to define as evil, but take to mind the situational impacts present at the time and how they would distort the ethics you hold to right now.
Right and wrong can shift depending on where you are or the company you are around.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Is there ever any situation where an answer is always right or always wrong? Or is everything situational? Example: Murder. If someone got killed, you would probably think that the murderer was the bad guy. Well, what if it was self defense or something similar? Is everything based on situation, or is there an action or decision that is always right or wrong?
humans, unlike other organisms can develop moral standards, and decide what is right or wrong, and decide their actions based on conscience decisions.

Things are defined as right and wrong, and different cultures, religions and people have different definitions of right and wrong.
First, let me tell you what I think killing is, taking the life of another living organsim. Pretty broad, in context, another human.
Murder though, is a planned killing, and usually is based on a selfish motive, such as greed, jealousy or hatred, or something similiar.
Killing someone in neccesary self defense is not murder, now planning out a defensive killing of someone specific could be murder.
There are different situations in which killing changes, some are selfish motives, which usually means murder, which is usually frowned upon.
There are situations when killing is the best, not the only, but best solution, you are being attacked, yikes, you may have to kill the attacker! Why, that is not murder, you were defending yourself, and that does not seem wrong.

Maybe this helps, what do you think.

Reaper0329

Smash Cadet
The line between right and wrong, as someone said earlier, varies between individuals. Certain things, such as child abuse, ****, and wanton murder are always wrong. Some things are simply set in stone wrong, other generally "wrong" things can be right and justified.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Humans themselves define what is right and what is wrong based on their culture. You will always find a case (such as what applejack presented) of a situation where while it may seem horrendous and morally wrong to most cultures, others view this in a different light. Take cannibalism for instance. The majority of the world finds this repulsive and unhuman, while some Amazonian tribes and other minorities see this as essential for survival.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Humans themselves define what is right and what is wrong based on their culture. You will always find a case (such as what applejack presented) of a situation where while it may seem horrendous and morally wrong to most cultures, others view this in a different light. Take cannibalism for instance. The majority of the world finds this repulsive and unhuman, while some Amazonian tribes and other minorities see this as essential for survival.
Although some things may be accepted, does not mean it's moral or ethical.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
Humans have a natural sense of whats right or wrong, though it occurs afterward the act. If they did something wrong you expirience guilt or depression after the act, if you do something right you experience joy, or self confidence. There is no way to tell if an action is wrong untill you have a very good sense of judgement or you if you have already done it.

Byronman

Smash Journeyman
I would like to think that there are definitive lines of good and evil, but I don't believe that to be true. All ethics is relative, it depends on the society and the situation.

Enter Nazi Germany, where it was not only not wrong to murder Jews, but the government itself encouraged it.

With a clear mind and no consideration for situation murder or whatever crime may seem easy to define as evil, but take to mind the situational impacts present at the time and how they would distort the ethics you hold to right now.
Right and wrong can shift depending on where you are or the company you are around.
That is true, however the Nazis did not kill "just for fun." It was Hitler's desire to create "a perfect race" of only Aryans. In their minds what they were doing was right.

The line between right and wrong, as someone said earlier, varies between individuals. Certain things, such as child abuse, ****, and wanton murder are always wrong. Some things are simply set in stone wrong, other generally "wrong" things can be right and justified.
They are not set in stone. What we think is right and wrong is completely different in the minds of the one who ***** and kills. I am not defending them, but they have their own opinions. This question is a little weird, a better one would be: What is the line between right and wrong in our reality (Not our society. That is already known)? There are biases in every part of the world. It may not be possible that us as mere humans can decide the difference...

Kur

Smash Journeyman

I addressed this in an early post in this thread. Clearly, as far as the Nazis were concerned, Jews were not innocents. They viewed Jews as something to be wiped off the earth. However, if a Nazi German citizen were to murder a fellow Nazi German citizen for no reason other than their own pleasure, then there would be harsh consequences and it would be considered wrong by that society.

As I pointed out, murder is only murder when the society says so. Some societies do not consider the killing of a woman, outsider, follower of a different religion, different race, etc. to be murder. But whatever it is they define as murder, is always wrong. Whatever they see as 'murder of an innocent person' is always wrong.

Same with Abu Ghraib. Under Saddams rule the prisoners were not considered innocent (obviously, they were in prison after all) so to that society, it was not murder. The small group of American soldiers who tortured prisoners once the US took over the prison never killed any of the inmates so it is not really part of this discussion.

Even if the definition of 'innocent person' is not agreed upon by all societies, the murder of an 'innocent person' is agreed upon, making murder of an innocent always wrong.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
no it is not always wrong; not by everybody. you've yet to logically prove that it (as in the act; not the opinions of others you keep using) is so.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Murder of an innocent person is always wrong because there is no good reason why the murderers want to kill is more important than their victims right to live. It does not matter if society decides murder is right. There is a definitive right or wrong in most situations whether society knows it or not. **** is always wrong even if some societies believe it is ok to **** their enemies, it does not make it right because there is no good reason why the rapist's want for sex should be more important than a person's right to privacy, security, etc.

There are some gray areas, such as abortion. Murdering is always wrong, so the question becomes when is the child alive. There is no way of knowing so society must determine that by itself. That doesn't mean that society has determined if abortion is right or wrong it has only determined what society is ok with.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
so bfdd, why does the murder's motive matter? why does anything in your post even matter? you're just throwing your personal opinions. well, that's fine. you sure didn't prove anything was 'definitive', though.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
I did prove that it was definitive. Did you read my post?

there is no good reason why the murderers want to kill is more important than their victims right to live

If the motive to kill someone was to prevent them from killing you, you then have a good reason.

The bottom line is if you take away someones right to live for no good reason it is wrong, no matter what society says. That is not opinion, that is logical reasoning.

If you still don't get it, be a bit more specific on which part doesn't make sense to you.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
here's being specific: you didn't use logic. you merely used your opinion.

opinions do not prove facts.

again, what's the relevance of motive? what if the motive was that he hated humans?

i'm not going to be your third grade teacher and show you the difference between facts and opinion again.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
That isn't opinion, can you give me one good reason why anyone has the right to take the life of another human being. It doesn't matter if the murderer hates humans, I said good reason. That is the relevance of motive. Not that motive is all that important because you don't understand the basic premise of my argument.

The FACT is there is no good reason for anyone to walk down the street and stab a random person. Let me repeat this because you aren't quite getting it. It is FACT not opinion that you can not give me one good REASON (reason is something used to present a rational argument something you fail to understand).

Don't talk down to me because you fail to understand the point. You think I don't understand fact and opinion. When the FACT of the matter is you cannot possibly have a good valid reason why it would be right to murder an innocent person in cold blood.

I have here a link describing Logical reasoning, yes I know wiki is not always correct but it does explain what it is I am doing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_reasoning. If you can't understand that then there is no point in debating because you are incapable of constructing a proper argument and I might as well be talking to a parrot.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
and the fact of the matter is that who needs a reason to do anything? why is it wrong to take another's life away? because you say so? because you THINK it's wrong?

this is a debate forum. you don't prove facts to anybody just by giving off how you feel about things such as cold-blooded murder. until you understand the difference, this debate can't move on.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Do you even pay attention to anything I just said?

I told you its not how I feel, it is a legitimate logical argument that you keep avoiding. Let me post it again.

There is no good reason why the murderers want to kill is more important than their victims right to live.

Premise 1: People have a right to live
Premise 2: It is wrong to take someones rights without reason

Conclusion: Murder without a good reason is wrong

Can you honestly tell me there is a flaw in that logic? If so you either find life unimportant, which means if your friend or family member is murdered you have no right to complain because it doesn't matter anyways. Or you feel it is ok to take someone's rights without good reason which means you agree with Hitler, Stalin and every other ruthless dictator in history.

So you can go ahead and disagree but if you do you have to accept the consequences above. Or point out what is wrong with my conclusion.

I know how to debate and develop logical reasonable conclusions, so before you start telling me how debates work, provide me with a logical reasonable argument as to why I am wrong.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Premise 1: People have a right to live
and this is what you avoid to prove. you can't have a premise without it being true. so, how do you logically prove this?

Premise 2: It is wrong to take someones rights without reason
this is simply an opinion once again. allow me to demonstrate:

opinion: jessica alba is the most attractive female
fact: jessica alba is a female

opinion: there is no other life in the universe
fact: the universe is expanding constantly

opinion: murder is wrong
fact: murder is taking someone's life away (at least in this world)

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
There are no science experiments to determine right and wrong, it is a moral issue. The only way to prove it is through logic and reasoning you still have yet to point out the flaw in my logic. You can't seem to deny that my logic is sound so you try to ignore it and post something irrelevant instead.

Bottom line:
Opinion or not my argument is sound and you have yet to disprove that.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
there is nothing to disprove because there is no logic. you didn't even answer the first question or prove anything.

you are simply asserting that you are right without actually proving it.

There are no science experiments to determine right and wrong, it is a moral issue.
think about this line for a few minutes.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
I answered the first question, i provided a definitive example of why murder is wrong. There is logic, I have provided premises and from those premises derived a conclusion. Try looking up that link I posted it explains logical reasoning.

Can you provide me with a reason why there is no logic? You have no evidence for your statements, you ask me to provide evidence and I gave it to you in the form of a logical deduction, then you make statements without evidence telling me I'm wrong. Thats not how debates work, both sides need evidence.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
you have not answered why humans logically have the 'right to live'. furthermore you haven't differentiated yourself from the list of opinions and facts.

i'm not posting anymore until you do so. or actually use logic. part of using logic isn't just asserting random stuff and saying 'it's sound'. there's more to it than that.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Why should I have to prove humans Have the right to live, can you prove they don't. I'm not asserting random things, I'm asserting things that no one in their right mind would disagree with. I don't need to differentiate fact from opinion. It doesn't matter, can I give you a study done by scientists stating people have a right to live, no I can't. But you can't give me one saying people don't, furthermore I'm certain you agree with the premises.

I'm saying it is sound because it is. If you agree with my premises then my conclusion is correct.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
Do you agree with my premises? I don't care if you want to call them opinions, the question is do you agree?
If yes, then do you agree that the conclusion from those premises is logical, again don't worry about fact or opinion.
If it is again yes then you don't have a leg to stand on.

I could say:

Premise 1: Rain is nice
Premise 2: It is raining outside

Conclusion: It is nice outside

Yes I cannot prove rain is nice but if you agree that the premises are true the conclusion is sound.

I'm not appealing to popularity I'm appealing to common sense. I can't prove to you that I'm not talking to you from the moon, or connecting to the internet through telepathy, but common sense tells us that it is false. Think about it if life wasn't important why does anything keep on living, if we don't have a right to live then why are we angry if someone kills a loved one. The burden of proof lies with you because my premise that we have a right to live is based on common sense and that fact that things are living.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Do you agree with my premises? I don't care if you want to call them opinions, the question is do you agree?
asking for another opinion is irrelevant.

I could say:

Premise 1: Rain is nice
Premise 2: It is raining outside

Conclusion: It is nice outside
the conclusion is an opinion. what's your point?

I'm not appealing to popularity I'm appealing to common sense.
no, you are appealing to the majority. there is nothing 'common sense' about it. prove your premises or don't even bother.

BFDD

Smash Apprentice
I'm appealing to everyone not just most people. Everyone includes experts in morals and ethics, John Locke, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Descartes and every other philosopher that has ever lived. Expert testimony is not a fallacy ask any expert they will tell you we have a right to live. The people that wrote the bill of rights in the U.S. and England, declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen in France and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights written by the U.N. All were experts in the subject and all agreed that people have a right to live. The only people who will respond any differently are the mentally ill. You cannot possibly make the claim that all those experts are wrong unless you can provide evidence. Which you have yet to come up with.

You won't answer my question of whether or not you agree with the premise, because you do agree and that makes me correct, but rather than accept it or provide evidence against it you try to find anything you can, other than facts and evidence, that may make my argument appear as though it does not make sense.

So again the burden of proof lies with you, show me evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom