• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is there any hope for competitive smash 3ds?

tryhardblackguy

Smash Rookie
So I remember all the hype for smash 3ds. All the streams, tournaments, and everything else. My question is that is competitive smash 3ds dead because I know some people that do not have a Wii U but have a 3ds.

ABloodyCanadian

Smash Cadet
NNID
ABCanadian
3DS FC
4957-6118-7040
I myself only have the 3DS Version cause I don't think I'll be getting the WiiU Version anytime soon. As long as people like that are out there, there is hope for a competitive Smash 3DS Scene. Of course, it'll be hard since Smash WiiU is the superior version of the two.

Last edited:

0Room

Smash Lord
I'm currently also wondering this, I'm not necessarily looking to take over wiiu [as I think that's a superior game, especially in LAN settings] but overall I feel a 3ds is a better buy for me than a wiiu [which I would only play smash on]

Sooooooooo idk man. I hope there's some tournaments online or something, something like Anther's Ladder for wiiu.
I should check if they have tournaments for 3ds

edit;
It seems Anther's Ladder does have some 3ds Tournaments!
http://www.smashladder.com/tournaments

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Ayy thought I wasn't the only one x)

I only have the 3DS version of smash since of convenience I only have a 3DS and not a Wii U (Though I would like one to play Smash on.)

Since I play Smash on the 3DS frequently, I really want some competitive play to center around the handheld itself in my area. But that's something far off to see, seeing how most tournaments use the super-dominant Wii U than the 3DS :crying:

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Probably not. The Wii U allows for the competitive crowd to use the comfortable GC controller they're all used to, and has lots of fancy tech shenanigans that are easier to preform on it.. Multiplayer is also much easier and less time consuming to set up on the Wii U, and the Wii U version has more tourney viable stages at this point in time. The stage builder also has tons of potential to offer even more stage variety for competitive play. The 3ds version simply doesn't have any of these things.

The only reason I keep my copy around is because I have friends who don't have a Wii U and I sometimes use it as a controller when there are lots of people who want to play at once.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
"Oh, what's that? You can't afford a Wii U and only own the 3DS version? Just a reminder; you're playing the ****ty and inferior version. It's an objectivly worse game!"

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I HOPE THEY DO MAKE A COMPETITIVE AREA FOR THE 3DS. Having to only own a wii u IS NOT ENOUGH FOR A SMASH PLAYER!

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
I don't see the 3DS version getting as big of a following as the Wii U, but if you aren't content with it's current position, you gotta be the change. In fact, we all need to take action. And I don't mean just suggesting ideas and/or hoping something will just happen. No, I mean you actually have to take charge and DO IT.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
"Oh, what's that? You can't afford a Wii U and only own the 3DS version? Just a reminder; you're playing the ****ty and inferior version. It's an objectivly worse game!"
What if you have both versions, but you like the 3ds version more?

What if you only have a PS4/Xbox One?

What if Smash is the only game that interest you on the Wii U?

What if you were about to buy the Wii U and Nintendo announced their plans for the NX?

What if you are a big family or a student trying to pay off Loans?

What if you have no real life friends that have a Wii U?

What if you only know 3 people in your town that has a Wii U?

What if you think the Wii U is a piece of ****?

What if you all your friends have the 3ds version and you only have the Wii U version?

What if all your friends have other consoles?

What if the your friends think that the Wii U sucks ass?

Think about it.....

Soul.

There is hope. Don't listen to those who think that the 3DS version holds no competitive merit. If you can make it competitive, do it. What's stopping you from making it competitive? The Wii U version? Not everyone has that game and the console itself.

Ignore the haters, focus on what you're trying to do.

D

Deleted member

What if you were about to buy the Wii U and Nintendo announced their plans for the NX?
If the new console (NX) came out the very next year (2016), I'd get 200% mad, because I just got a Wii U 4 months ago.

And for the topic question.. yes, there is. Might not be as big as the Wii U's, but there will be a competitive scene going on for it.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
What if you have both versions, but you like the 3ds version more?

What if you only have a PS4/Xbox One?

What if Smash is the only game that interest you on the Wii U?

What if you are a big family or a student trying to pay off Loans?

What if you have no real life friends that have a Wii U?

What if you only know 3 people in your town that has a Wii U?

What if you think the Wii U is a piece of ****?

What if you all your friends have the 3ds version and you only have the Wii U version?

What if all your friends have other consoles?

What if the your friends think that the Wii U sucks ***?

Think about it.....

I put air-quotes and a pic of a ticked of Dedede to imply sarcasm, guess it went right over your head.
I only own the 3DS version.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
There is hope. Don't listen to those who think that the 3DS version holds no competitive merit. If you can make it competitive, do it. What's stopping you from making it competitive? The Wii U version? Not everyone has that game and the console itself.

Ignore the haters, focus on what you're trying to do.
This. I even know people who turn up to Wii U tournaments and exclusively use a 3DS as their controller.

So there is definitely space for the game itself as a competition game. Just start making a scene for it.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Honestly, I can only imagine the 3DS ever returning to competitive-viability for "unlimited"-style play, using full equipment.

It's not like logistics would be a problem when everyone would have their own setup with them at all times throughout a tournament.

I don't see any other scenario where 3DS gets anywhere close to Wii U in terms of tournament-scope, and even then...

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I'd be fine with that for as long as they keep their servers up for Sm4sh and as long as it's not a dead game (probably not). Otherwise, I guess custom servers are going to be a thing again.

To answer your question @ tryhardblackguy tryhardblackguy , there's still at least online smash tournaments and matches hosted at Smashladder.com and Smashboards, so that should be a thing and there would lie any hope for competitive Sm4sh 3DS.

Let's just also be reminded that both Sm4sh games have the same engine and are supposed to be made to correlate with each other, not rival each other similar to Melee and Sm4sh Wii U. Another thing to note is that this is the portable version of Sm4sh. With that said, I always want to think that both of these games are the exact same thing if there isn't much of a comfort difference between the 3DS controller and the gamecube controller. Let's just note that if we ever consider this scenario ever again.

This. I even know people who turn up to Wii U tournaments and exclusively use a 3DS as their controller.
Oh dang really? I guess I am too used to my 3DS controller XD.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
To be honest I don't think it will, the Wii U version is factually better then the 3DS version because of it's superior controls (or at least easier), bigger map selection, and also it's better online. And I highly doubt players who play competitively will do so on the 3DS when the Wii U has much more people who play on it (especially apparent on Smash Ladder and will only play on the 3DS version when they have no other option because I think people much rather play on a TV with a bigger screen (and I guess less input lag?), an actual controller like a GC one, and also just for the graphics which can be argued but Wii U version definitely looks better.

I wouldn't sleep on the 3DS version though, just save up money until you can buy a Wii U and continue practicing on the 3DS version. Any 3DS player you meet just add so you can play them in the future because it's a small community for the 3DS scene. Also although there aren't a lot of them, there are still SOME 3DS tournaments at least.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
The 3DS version, to my eyes, is portable training for on-the-go. I've learn't alot from the 3DS version that i specialize in the Wii U version, so yeah. The 3DS Version is kinda handy for waiting in Tourneys or... anything away from the WII U version. If only Sakurai added special smash into the 3DS version, then i'd be very happy... they only had to make it exclusive to Smash run and make it random... thanks... mmmk... Also, i'm using my 3DS from the day of-release (25th March 2011) AND I HAVEN'T BROKEN ANYTHING! No shoulder buttons broken, no Circle Pad being destroyed, honestly... then again i have some of the smallest hands in history... stupid adults saying that the 3DS version sucks just because they can't handle it...

Soul.

... Wii U has much more people who play on it?
Almost everyone has a 3DS. Not everyone is interested on getting a Wii U, nor does everyone have a unit.

The game being on a handheld means that technically, people are playing it a lot more than Wii U despite johns (lol) and whatever complaints people are having.

Better controls are subjective. Some people actually like using the 3DS as a controller; the GCN controller isn't the be all and end all of controllers.

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
Almost everyone has a 3DS. Not everyone is interested on getting a Wii U, nor does everyone have a unit.

The game being on a handheld means that technically, people are playing it a lot more than Wii U despite johns (lol) and whatever complaints people are having.

Better controls are subjective. Some people actually like using the 3DS as a controller; the GCN controller isn't the be all and end all of controllers.
Just because a lot more people have a 3DS doesn't mean they want to play Sm4sh on it though, I mean a lot of Sm4sh players I know have 3DSes as well because they were excited to play Sm4sh on release but after getting a Wii U they don't even touch their Sm4sh 3DS unless they have to. I started off with Sm4sh on the 3DS and Smashladder at least for me wasn't that active at all in terms of people wanting to play compared to the Wii U (which I now have).

In terms of controllers, that is probably true, I know people who tend to play on the 3DS or even Wii Motes instead of the GameCube controller at my local tournament because they're more used to it and in the end it comes down to familiarity and comfortability.

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred

More people owning 3DS's doesn't mean that they want to play it competitively though. I'm pretty sure a lot of casual players play more on the 3DS compared to the Wii U.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
More people owning 3DS's doesn't mean that they want to play it competitively though. I'm pretty sure a lot of casual players play more on the 3DS compared to the Wii U.
Agreed. Wii u seems more competitive in general than 3ds. I support that 3ds should be competitive, but like what you said. Again, I agree

Soul.

Wii U is played casually too remember.
More people owning 3DS's doesn't mean that they want to play it competitively though.
What if they want to though.
To get a Wii U just to play this game competitively sounds like a silly idea to me when instead of doing that you can play the game on 3DS, but then come the controller johns because either they're not used to it, or they just love hating the game.

Ryukred

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryukred
Wii U is played casually too remember.

What if they want to though.
To get a Wii U just to play this game competitively sounds like a silly idea to me when instead of doing that you can play the game on 3DS, but then come the controller johns because either they're not used to it, or they just love hating the game.
Yeah but most Wii U players actually bought the game just for Sm4sh though, and more people prefer the GC controller.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
3DS isn't a bad controller for competitive Smash, actually. Besides, more players have access to the 3DS version moreso than the Wii U.

All we need to do is evaluate which stages would work and establish a serious presence. It's a shame that there isn't a large following for competitive 3DS Smash.

Top Bottom