• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a real good way to practice Waveshining with Falco?

Ikagi_chan

Smash Rookie
I absolutely do not know why, but I have problems Waveshining with Falco. Every time I try it, I either end up Shine-Cancelling, Airdodging, or turning around while I try to Waveshine backwards. I don't know what's up with it. Anyone have any good training tips?

And, since I don't want to make a new topic, is there a good way to practice SHLs so that you get the full dash-jump distance. For me, it always being a half-***** mini-dash. Tips?

Thanks in advance.

~Ikagi_chan

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
when i started waveshining i had the exact same problems i just started out doing it slow. do it one after the other and think about it and after a couple of times speed it up etc etc. eventually it will all fall into place and you'll wonder how you couldnt do it in the first place. its just practice practice practice and more practice.

oh and by the way in your first actual match with somebody after practicing waveshining alone your going to think you have it down but for some reason all the practice goes out the window when your playing somebody for the first time. and welcome to the forums ^^

Driz

Smash Apprentice
I suggest just working on wavedashing until you feel you can wavedash across FD easily enough with few mistakes, then take that and apply to waveshine with one difference being that imediatly after you shine jump then go to wavedash, you have jump very fast and lately I've noticed my problem was I was waiting too long before jump canceling and then missing the wavedash.
As for shl just make sure you jump right after you hit foward for the dash don't try to get a full distance while in the middle of a dash it seems to work best right after you begin the dash.
Hopefully those suggestions help alittle and as I'm sure everyone reading this is thinking just practice both your problems can be dealt with in practice mode, when applying to matches takle your time and make sure your not rushing what you've practice which I occasionally find myself doing and good luck

The Jesticle

Smash Rookie
While we are on the topic, is the fast fall necessary for the SHL, or does it work just as well with only a short hop?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
For practicing wave shining a shield/target wave shine on a lvl 1 bowser at 9 handicap when you're at 1 handicap. Damage ratio .5 also helps. You can use this to emulate the hit lag of a shield or a character getting hit by your shine, so when you actually hit someone you don't try to wave shine too early as you might if you practice it on the air.

Driz

Smash Apprentice
And yes fastfalling is necessary for SHL because not only does it alow for faster shots but it makes it easier to control the height of said shot allowing yuo to pressure a duking jiggly!!

tshahi10

Smash Ace
could you be pressing the waveshine too fast

i remember a long time ago that i could do it with fox and not falco because his jump was faster

Jem.

Smash Master
It's pretty easy for me since I use control stick to jump..
B-Down, up, L diagonally forward or backwards.
Simple as that for me.

All I could suggest is what the others did, and practice wavedashing across FD until you never mess it up.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
For practicing wave shining a shield/target wave shine on a lvl 1 bowser at 9 handicap when you're at 1 handicap. Damage ratio .5 also helps. You can use this to emulate the hit lag of a shield or a character getting hit by your shine, so when you actually hit someone you don't try to wave shine too early as you might if you practice it on the air.
LOL He took the words out of my mouth. I do that all the time, is the best way to practice waveshines.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
James Sparrow is right, but one thing that he didn't mention that helps even more is to unplug the controller that the bowser is one, push the control stick up, and plug it back in... this makes the game center up as center and when you put the control stick back to a neutral position, it actually makes bowser crouch cancel everything automatically. This helps a bit more ^^

Oskurito

Smash Lord
James Sparrow is right, but one thing that he didn't mention that helps even more is to unplug the controller that the bowser is one, push the control stick up, and plug it back in... this makes the game center up as center and when you put the control stick back to a neutral position, it actually makes bowser crouch cancel everything automatically. This helps a bit more ^^
:O I've gotta try that

Top Bottom