• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a list of all the things G&W can absorb with Oil Panic in this game?

Spooty

Smash Rookie
Any energy-based attack will go into the bucket. This also includes things like the stars Yoshi makes after his down special so keep an eye out for odd things and experiment!

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
^Thank you for not answering the question.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't think there's a comprehensive list right now, so we should probably make one, with how many charges each gives.

Last edited:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Hm, I'm a Ness main (though I don't own the game yet, but I've tried it out lol). However, I do believe Ness' PSI Magnet and his Bucket have the same properties (at least that's how it was in Melee and Brawl, to my knowledge), so maybe you can bucket the same things Ness can absorb? Our board has the info here. :)

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
I tested this in practice mode, you can absorb the explosion of a Bob-omb and Motion Sensor Mine. It's Insane!

When I threw a Bob-omb (upwards) or Motion Sensor Mine (down), while I held Oil Panic out, they both filled the bucket when they exploded, Mr. Game & Watch being completely fine afterwards.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Being able to absorb explosives is hilariously abusable in matches with items enabled.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Was the case in Brawl, too.

Problem is she has enough time to punish you even if you successfully catch it.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Yeah all energy based stuff, like explosions and such. Including megamans side B, which instantly gives a full bucket. Well, the explosion that is. Youc an also catch the shot itself for 1

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Being able to absorb explosives is hilariously abusable in matches with items enabled.
Yeah, but with all the nerfs he apparently got (he feels more weaker than Brawl), I would consider it perfectly acceptable to be able to bucket even a stare from Ness. It seems explosions tend to give me full bucket. I've tried on Voltorb (that I summoned), a motion-sensor bomb and a Bob-Omb and got full bucket each time, but didn't take any knockback or damage, which REALLY surprised me. On top of that, the bucketed power can easily KO anyone unfortunate enough to touch its hitbox. However, he still can't bucket his own moves, which sucks when you're having a pure Game & Watch match because Oil Panic becomes completely useless. Oil Panic is probably the move that got the biggest buff and seems more useful than it was in Melee/Brawl.

By the way, gooey bombs are your best friends.

Last edited:

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Smashwiki say that Oil Panic can only do a maximum of 45% damage, which is wrong.

With something like a Bob-omb, it WILL give Oil Panic 60%, like in Brawl. That needs to be changes on the site.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
You can absorb the explosion from Duck Hunt's can.

Unfortunately, this only works if the can explodes from being shot/attacked too much or staying out too long, not if it's bounced into you...

Last edited:

eatnapkins

Smash Rookie
I can confirm that explosions from bob-ombs (walking and thrown), motion sensor bombs, gooey bombs, Bombchus, and Mega Man's Crash Bomber can be bucketed.

Link and Toon Link's bombs can be bucketed for 1 unit of oil. (But interestingly, if you bucket them in midair, they give 2 instead).

Mii Gunner's grenade can be bucketed like Crash Bomber: one use fills the bucket, but it only does 18%.

I can also confirm that the following things can be absorbed indirectly (i.e. you take damage if they hit you directly, but you can use the bucket in the explosion radius when they explode). All give 1 unit of oil.

-Samus' Down B bombs
-Duck Hunt's can (as noted above)
-Villager's Lloid Rocket

So far as I've tested, the following cannot be absorbed:

-Samus' missiles (both fast and homing)
-Bowser Jr.'s Mechakoopas

Also, for what it's worth, Dr. Mario's megavitamins and Greninja's Water Shuriken can't be bucketed either.

Last edited:

Neb

Smash Lord
This is great information. Be good to have organised, and in one place. Can someone get that going?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
It appears you can bucket Bomb-chus thrown by yourself instead of just ones thrown by an opponent. If you bucket by an opponent just before they get hit by the bomb-chu, you can get 2 units of oil from the explosion. You can also get 2 units by the bomb-chu exploding from timing out (it starts glowing if it doesn't hit an opponent after several seconds). It explodes around the same place it started moving at. I think you can also get a unit or 2 if you bucket an attacked beetle (which explodes after being attacked enough), but I haven't tried this.

I'd also like to suggest what decides if G&W's bucket will fill 1 to 3 pegs when absorbing a move.
It depends on how much damage the absorbed move would've caused. Each unit is worth 20. When a projectile is absorbed, its damage and knockback output is multiplied by 2.5 (Oil Panic's formula is (3*2.5)+(3*2.5)+(3*2.5), answer is set to 60 if it is 61 or greater). The result of this formula determines how many units you get (which is why most explosions instantly fill the bucket). I think you will always get at least 1 from a valid projectile, even if its output would've been less than 20.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Let me just note that everything that can be absorbed by Oil Panic can also be absorbed by PSI Magnet.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Can he absorb :4palutena:'s neutral B? If that comes out in three shots, that would fill up the bucket in one button, no? How strong would that be? (The :4gaw::4pikachu: team got me thinking about this).

Azekahh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Azekahh
Can he absorb :4palutena:'s neutral B? If that comes out in three shots, that would fill up the bucket in one button, no? How strong would that be? (The :4gaw::4pikachu: team got me thinking about this).
Yes, you can, it does fill in one move. But the spill damage isn't too high... 26% is decent, though.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I think Oil Panic is hands-down his best kill move. Every time I fill up my bucket, I KO opponents when I dump the oil on them (even at 0% sometimes).

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Even the weakest Oil Panic has KO power on par with that of his smashes.

Anything stronger then that can easily get sub-90% KOs.

Top Bottom