• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Wii Remote better?

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
It's probably because I didn't jump into Melee like most Smashers, but I find the Wii Remote + Nunchuk much better than the GameCube controller. I feel as if I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't use the GameCube controller, and I want to know if anyone else prefers this style. The Grab buttons feel more natural along with the feel of the Wii Remote as well as evading. I also like the jump and Special Move button position better on the Wii Remote as we'll. However, I don't like the regular Wii Remote by itself, that is the worst way to play for me.

Last edited:

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
gamecube controller is the better option if your wii supports it. but if you are comfortable with wiimote and nunchuck, then thats fine too

ns_decipher

Smash Rookie
~~ I've heard the pros recommend the game cube controller. (extreme combos and stuff & the game teaches you tips using the game cube controller for instance ) But tbh I personally use the wii remote. not with Nunchuk. Go for what feels/works good for you!

link2702

Smash Champion
the wiimote alone is waaaay to limited, you aren't able to perform(quite literally) even half the things you need to do in order to play decently at the game.

The wiimote+nunchuck is cumbersome, but some can get used to it I suppose. IDK if it limits you at all with what you can perform, though even if it is, its definitely not near as much as the wiimote alone(seriously wiimote alone is a horrible option and will severely hold you back)

The classic controller is fine, though I personally don't use it since i'm not comfortable with it(used GCN controller too long) you have just as many options with it as the gcn controller, but It feels somewhat awkward to me and others to play smash with it.

IMO though the best is still the GCN controller, though once again, a classic controller can work fine for someone who never experienced smash with the GCN controls in melee.

But wiimote, and wiimote + nunchuck are still horrible options compared to the other two. Again though, Nunchuck could probably work fine, but its still very cumbersome to use it, but under no circumstances should you ever go wiimote alone.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
I actually don't use a gamecube controller either, but I do use the classic controller. I find the wiimote to be way to hard to play with IMO but whatever works for you is all that matters!

fitzawesome

Smash Rookie
I'm far too used to the Gamecube controller at this point to not use it. It's feel really weird using the Wii U controller/3DS with the new one.

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
I didn't even know you could bind commands. I'm fine with smashes using the Nunchuk stick though.
You want to bind your smashes to the d-pad, trust me. This allows you to SDI attacks, and it allows you to do a forward aerial while moving backwards, or a backwards aerial while moving forwards, along with a fast fall upwards aerial, and a rising downwards aerial.

It's probably because I didn't jump into Melee like most Smashers, but I find the Wii Remote + Nunchuk much better than the GameCube controller. I feel as if I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't use the GameCube controller, and I want to know if anyone else prefers this style. The Grab buttons feel more natural along with the feel of the Wii Remote as well as evading. I also like the jump and Special Move button position better on the Wii Remote as we'll. However, I don't like the regular Wii Remote by itself, that is the worst way to play for me.
I started out with the Wiimote+Nunchuk pair while I waited to secure a GameCube controller. However, I eventually just grew used to that and never even got another GCN controller. I was still whooping my friends left and right as they fumbled at their GCN controllers like amorous baboons; that's all that mattered!

One of my favorite aspects of the Wiimote+Nunchuk was that I could have my arms on the arm rests all the way, rather than just my elbows.

The sideways solo Wiimote was a disaster, though. You'd get blisters on all your fingers that way.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
If you're going to stick with Wiimote, I reccomend setting up your direction pad, or whtaever that thing is at the top.
-up = jump is stupid. I turned that into upsmash, since Usmash is the only smash that can be used out of a dash.
-down = dodge is stupid; just use your nunchuk... so I turned that into grab so that when I grabbed with direction pad, there's a less chance (although the chance was minimal already) that I would do something stupid.

I only switched to GC because I thought that the C-ctick was cool. I also foudn that the chuk was VERY sensitive, and one would often accidentally use smashes if they were trying to use tilts instead.
The chuck is also a pretty bad thing for jumping. In fact, I had trouble shorthopping 100% of the time on the chuk, because of how it was pressed by the index finger, maybe. When I switched to GC, I shorthopped 100% of the time. It was in fact, hard for me to full jump. :/

I made the switch around Christmas (2013)... it takes like a day to get over the trauma of not having your normal controls, then about half a week to retain all your skills from when you were using the Wiimote.

JNewton

Smash Rookie
I recently bought a GameCube Controller. I formerly played with the Nunchuk, but the GCC is a lot better for me. I can't play with the Wiimote only, the shield and jump button are at an inconveniently place, and you can't move your character well. The Nunchuk is good to play, but only if the D-Pad is set to Smashes. However, short hopping is difficulty. When I didn't had the GCC, I mapped the D-Pad Down to jump. It worked for me, but it still was hard to short-hop well. I can short hop well with the GCC, and I didn't had to change any button.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Naww, you need D-Pad set to only up smash, then the rest of the directions are grab. Anything on wiimote where you have to press two buttons at once (including side taunt) are very unreliable...
Ohhh. Down = jump. That might work really well with short hopping. o.o
Oh well. being able to SDI instead of TDI was kinda cool. :D
Also; how do people SDI so that they don't do an aerial or do a smash attack once they're out of a multi-hit attack? Because then people always punish and so SDI is a bit pointless for me...

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Personally I use the Wii and Nunchuck controller. I think the Gamecube controller is a little bit too akward to handle (but I can get used to it easily).

Top Bottom