• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the so far buffed Samus enough?

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
WhatsUP all players of Smash Brothers! ;)
This is a thread to allow conversation on what can be done to improve Samus to the point of greatness in SSB4.
Though I am in Europe I am am willing to see what all of you have to say. With the game coming out in the next few months what can be done with Samus to make her viable. (if it is just the demo at this point):ohwell:

Yes I have heard that she is getting 'BUFFS' but will they be enough.
SHARE WHAT EVER YOU GOT in terms of buffs, nerfs and even suggestions of moves, tactics that she should have in the upcoming game!

HAVE FUN. lol

SRufus3D

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Take away her floaty-ness, jesus that sucks.
Also I don't see how she's very buffed in the demo, her f-tilts have long lag on the end of them now for some reason.
Though her whiffed standing grab now has far less cooldown.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
i feel like she's gotten a lot faster, and more flexible
so she has speed, strength, and flexibility down packed !
excited to see some really good samus players get their hands on her !
:4samus:

SRUFUS3D

Smash Journeyman
i feel like she's gotten a lot faster, and more flexible
so she has speed, strength, and flexibility down packed !
excited to see some really good samus players get their hands on her !
:4samus:
You seem to right. I have heard that they have nerfed her projectile game is that true?

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
You seem to right. I have heard that they have nerfed her projectile game is that true?
I'm not sure about the projectile thing, because what I've seen from the videos on YouTube,
People just fight head on in your face with her and she does great, I rarely see people use her projectiles anymore

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
The only nerf to Samus' projectiles is that missiles can't be cancelled anymore. Her charge shot has been buffed greatly and bombs are about the same as in Brawl. I've heard people say that her missiles are still useful and footage I've seen of them so far seems to support that. Working them into her combos will be a treat. :)

Last edited:

PeanutProphet

Smash Cadet
from what I have seen, her up smash has little to no knock-back again. I hate this because in my mind smash attacks should be used to SMASH, not cause minor damage and minor knock-back. It needs to be either changed to a single strong explosion, or buffed.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
from what I have seen, her up smash has little to no knock-back again. I hate this because in my mind smash attacks should be used to SMASH, not cause minor damage and minor knock-back. It needs to be either changed to a single strong explosion, or buffed.
Really? What I've seen is different. It's been buffed significantly in that enemies are caught in a vacuum when you hit them with it, which means that getting her U-Smash to connect all of its hits is much easier now, and as a result its last hit's knockback is far more consistent. I don't know exactly how good its knockback is now as it's been shown minimally in the footage I've seen, but it's definitely been buffed. :)

PeanutProphet

Smash Cadet
I only saw someone use it once, and I assumed that no-one else used it because it was bad. Sorry that I don't remember the video I saw it in, but I remember that they fell into it from above.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No need to apologize, I was just legitimately curious.

Most of Samus' "crappier" moves in past games tend to get neglected. Morph Ball Bombs, U-Tilt and U-Smash in particular come to mind (Ironically I used those moves the most).

That's also why people were disappointed with certain moves considering how good they used to be, like Missiles and N-Air (not Brawl's).

Anyhow I think it was just an odd angle/situation that made it seem worse than it is. Falling into it has always done less damage/been less effective than catching them with it from the start, or at the very least angling it so that the last hit gets them.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I only saw someone use it once, and I assumed that no-one else used it because it was bad. Sorry that I don't remember the video I saw it in, but I remember that they fell into it from above.
Might be like shiek's bouncing fish move that I don't think I ever saw used except for the introduction. Just a button combo they learned not to use.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
ok, I found a video that shows what I was saying about samus's up smash.
it is at 0:36
Bowser got hit at what seemed to be the absolute edge of the Up Smash, so there wasn't much knockback. All I can say is that it seemed like Bowser got skimmed by the attack so there wasn't any knockbck. That, and the last hit of the Up Smash, the hit that has knockback, missed, while the second and third did hit.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Yeah, that U-Smash definitely didn't connect properly. The large majority of its knockback is in its last hit, which missed; it was timed rather poorly. :p

RPK

Smash Lord
From a guy that mained Samus in brawl, she definitely got buffs. She has more than 2 kill moves now so right there thats a buff. The biggest one of them all is that she still has her brawl Zair, and it got buffed. A long ranging move that remained lagless, and on top of it, its more damaging. Also that it can be done out of an airdodge which means shes one of the few characters that has a lagless airdodge. Just think about how strong that is...

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed in this guide photo that Samus' bomb looks bigger and brighter when it explodes?

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I am totally stoked for this game! I don't have a Wii U right now, but man, when I get that paycheck, I am buying one and SSB4!

Samus' movement looks fluid!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I want samus to be good, she had less kill power then Sheik in Brawl and i found that horrible.

How many moves does samus have that can kill around 100%? I saw charge shot has been buff are there anymore?

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I want samus to be good, she had less kill power then Sheik in Brawl and i found that horrible.

How many moves does samus have that can kill around 100%? I saw charge shot has been buff are there anymore?
I don't know about killing at 100%, but Fsmash, Utilt, Nair, and Bair seem like the main killers. All of which have been buffed since Brawl

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Her Up Smash and Screw Attack are also up there now. Even moreso with custom move swaps. Good luck hitting with them, though.

Still think the majority of her kills will come from gimping. Z-air and Charge Shot buffs coupled with the blast line extensions means giving the "double tap" just to be safe will be more prevalent than ever. Plus D-air works really weird now (more like the 64 version).

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Up-B out of shield looks viable as all hell guys, that's a huge buff to her reliable kill setups.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Do any of her throws combo into Screw Attack? that would be a great kill combo

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

IIRC D-throw throw worked to a certain extent for me in the demo. F-air was usually a better follow-up.

No idea if it's been changed for the final version, though.

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
Does she have any guaranteed/almost guaranteed followups after her throws?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I have seen a few Screw attack followups after dthrow on stream lately. Now I can't remember whether it was at high percents or not or if it killed.

RPK

Smash Lord
Aww man, dair is different in sm4sh? Sadness. That means I cant get that dair->up+b for 28% :< On the other hand though, it seems like getting that zair -> dash attack -> up+b for the kill seems pretty legit o3o

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Aww man, dair is different in sm4sh? Sadness. That means I cant get that dair->up+b for 28% :< On the other hand though, it seems like getting that zair -> dash attack -> up+b for the kill seems pretty legit o3o
Now that it sour spots there might actually be more combo potential waiting to be exploited.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've been practising with Samus for a few days (and planning to enter with her in an online tournament on Sunday with Custom Moves, should be fun). She was also one of my 3 mains in Brawl, although I was more Casual. And as it stands she's defo looking like one of my mains again, maybe even #1 this time.

It's pretty clear that she's been buffed. So little lag on moves, and the moves naturally flow into the next in a way that feels wonderful. I can't say there's anything I really dislike about her as it stands. She feels so fast as well, like the speed fits her perfect... And so cool custom moves. I've been using the slow charge beam for example and you can actually throw opponents into it before it disappears haha.

If there's interest I might do a write-up on how much damage all moves do and such, I got time tomorrow.

Last edited:

YourOpinionIs

Smash Cadet
Ground game seems buffed but I'm really uncertain about her air game.

-Nair isn't a sex kick anymore and it does a hit forward and back. I feel like this is an overall nerf, if you wanted the kick from behind Bair is a much better choice anyways.
-Dair now requires you to sweetspot to meteor. It comes out faster but doesn't linger like Brawl did which is what I thought made it a good move.
-Fair is better than Brawl, but from what I seen it doesn't autocancel when you hit the ground so you are easily punished if it doesn't hit.
+Uair is the only one that seems normal/buffed since it can now kill.

Coupled with no more missile cancelling I am kind of concerned about how she will do in the air since samus is already pretty floaty.

Her optimal playstyle will probably be very very different from Brawl/PM and Melee

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Fair has no lag if you do a full jump, but you can't short hop without lag. It's a great move though and combo's well from d-throw. D-throw in general is the only good Samus throw really until very high % when you might want to throw the opponent out of the stage.

Nair is pretty meh I agree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom