• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the Smash community a fandom?

TacticianRobin

Smash Rookie
The Wikipedia on fandoms says a fandom is “a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of camaraderie with others who share a common interest.” So is the Smash community also a fandom?

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I feel camaraderie with everyone except the Melee cultists. They get contained in the abandoned mine shaft outside town.

Bluman278

Smash Rookie
I think it probably is! I mean, I know I feel camaraderie with other fans, and besides, community sounds kinda formal and stuffy. Like a gated community :/

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The Melee community is. The 64 community confuses me, but they must be pretty ****in tight to keep playing that game. I don't think I'd call "the smash community" in general, if such a thing exists, a fandom.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'd say the Smash community certainly meets the technical definition of a fandom. Whether it meets the... ahem... connotations of the term "fandom" is more debatable.

Top Bottom