• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the matchup guide still accurate?

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
It says it right in the title of the guide, updated 2007
**2007**
Now the mario metagame hasn't exactly been sprinting forward but I'm sure some things have changed since that guide was updated.
So I think we should start looking into this. Re-doing these matchups and adding in new stuff we have learned
and if not
lets get a zelda matchup in there
I'm sure a pro zelda would love to help us out with all of this scorpion master hype

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Boss isn't retired. He may be of service to this new matchup thread.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
i think u guys might wanna look into the match-up again. especially cuz i feel like link vs mario is only in mario's favor if link isnt spacing right and it is relatively easy to edgeguard mario. granite his up-b creates a lot of multiple hitboxes, but if u kno how mario recovers, it ealatively easy to block him. and yoshi it extremely hard to edgeguard no matter who u are. falcon can blast him wit a knee, but if he JC-ing it, he's going nowhere

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
i think u guys might wanna look into the match-up again. especially cuz i feel like link vs mario is only in mario's favor if link isnt spacing right and it is relatively easy to edgeguard mario. granite his up-b creates a lot of multiple hitboxes, but if u kno how mario recovers, it ealatively easy to block him. and yoshi it extremely hard to edgeguard no matter who u are. falcon can blast him wit a knee, but if he JC-ing it, he's going nowhere
I agree with everything except maybe the falcon. But after Apex I'll try and make some individual threads about the matchups. ty for feedback

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
a friend of mine uses yoshi and wen yoshi is recovering, the knee is useless
reread what you originally posted and you're right, I misread what you said (haha it rhymed)
that's yoshi's invulnrability during his jump. guess they had to give him something to make up for his ... everything else

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
We gotta update more that the matchup guide. We also gotta update the Mario guide. :3

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
j3ly:

a friend of mine uses yoshi and wen yoshi is recovering, the knee is useless
its called super armour i think, it works like a down cancel in that after a certain % it stops working. i.e yoshi can survive the knee until 60% for example, but marths tipper knocks him outta the jump at like 10%

Reviving these boards is gonna be a lot of work -_-
Think we can trick j3ly in to doing all of this for us? XD
i actually wrote up a PHAT PHAT guide on how to fight marth, with all the tricks and **** i learned for playing our best crew (IWR - it was ****, 4 marths). it had alot of content. but this account was logged in, so i left it on screen until i cud b bothered to switch it over. then closed the window :'(

i was gnna make a guide with a detailed video log to go with it. but lets be reals - i smoke alot of weed thats never happening. i wudnt mind writing up a few matchups but at the end of the day it would only be one mario's oppinion on the matchup unless other people contribute.

i cud deffo make a recovery guide. currently housing a falco about to attend his 60th tournament, ive been edge guarded like twice since he arrived. its the stage guarding that i find harder to deal with. getting out of the corner without being read is alot harder than getting onto the edge/stage.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
My stuff in this color

Pichu
+Mario has a very good combo game on Pichu not nearly great as he makes it sound pichu acts like fox you can't really attack him right sure you can grab **** him but grabs are very hard to get pichu is nearly totally lag free
+Edgeguarded easily due to slow up B and laggy stuff Pichu has the least lagiest recovery in all of smash and over 160 options to pick from wall jumps, jolts, side-B, and double up-B and etc. pichu is VERY hard to predict most of the time
+Pichu is the worst character in the gameWhat does this have to do with the match-up YL is decent vs peach/puff
+Pichu can't KO worth jack pichu has the storngest f-smash, 6th strogest up-smash with thunder, and great gimps with b-throw/jolt this man is totally nuts
(If you really have to counterpick a Pichu, just go shiek on FD LOL. You shouldn't ever have trouble against a pichu. Just combo it to death cuz its so fat and dumb.) Fun fact i've had people CP me with sheik and their sheik did much worse than their main.

Pikachu
+Chu can be throw-chained how are you going to get a grab?
+Chu has a semi-predictable recovery no
(Counterpick DL to counter the effects of pika's usmash) this is fail advice pikachu can/should always be able to recover you doubled his lifetime and did nothing for your self

Yoshi

(Not sure where to counterpick. DL maybe?)

Bowser

(Counterpick FD or FoD. Combo heavy stages = even easier combos)FoD is great for bowser 2nd best stage for him

Kirby
+Kirby is really light, thus easy to KO
+A character as terrible as Kirby makes inability to combo not matter so much for Mario
+Easy to approach you don't approach kirby you just outcamp him and you win this isn't that great of advice
-Difficult to combo you can
(Counterpick Yoshis for very easy KOs)FoD is way better YS has SD tricks with should be most of your advice not to be ******** and fall for the SDs

Mario
+/- Not much too it, he's the same character...it's a different player which makes it worlds different

DK
(I cant think of any counterpicks)

CF
FD for chainthrow Falcon's best stage and you say take him there???

Purin
+Purin is really light, thus easy to KOH-box

IC's
+When you only are dealing with popo, he is easy rack up percent on, deal with, and combo
-Mario has difficulty seperating IC's, and is consquently prone to infinites, CGs, and combos.
-ICs basically negate Mario's grab game
(I don't know much about this matchup, but uhhhh go with FD lol)

Also I was totally amazed how I didn't see anywhere it talking about how you should automaticly try to tech the edge as mario I do it as pichu and totally basiced off of theory and no real time use of it I was able to tech 2 f-smashes in a row when recovering unless your wall jumping try to also SDI into the edge when trying to tech it won't hurt only help.

also marth is easy mode to deal with if you have a dcent projectile(jolts/pills/fireballs/lasers/link stuff/needles or better than any of this), have a great sheild or can keep up with his speed. so if your like without any of this that you can spam then yeah marth is uber hard. That or if your a noob.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The main things I would say otherwise in the matchup thread are things like Ganon is one of Mario's worst matchups, Falcon is about evenish, and Samus is harder than Marth. Not to mention that Falco technically is what I would call Mario's worst matchup.

Otherwise it's pretty much correct.

i think u guys might wanna look into the match-up again. especially cuz i feel like link vs mario is only in mario's favor if link isnt spacing right and it is relatively easy to edgeguard mario. granite his up-b creates a lot of multiple hitboxes, but if u kno how mario recovers, it ealatively easy to block him.
Link is awful and has no real answer to Mario's ability to outmaneuver him. Mario beats Link in the camp war as well, and I don't think I have to explain how harder Mario can punish Link for the slightest mistake.

j3ly

Smash Champion
ganon is a very hard matchup, best rectified by going fox and wrecking the crap outta him.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
imo opinion the fox mu is 55/45 to fox.
and falcon is the same. and this could almost be even...its hard to say. either way this is my fav matchup. followed by fox. the combos are great and hes a sucker for jabs.
falco is 60 40-the lasers make this harder. but gimps are easy. this mu is all about finding an opening and taking it all the way. basically you cant miss a combo.
sheik is 60 40-eh///HATE this/ my least favorite mu. her grab range is too bigand shes faster than marth and harder to predict.
marth is 60 40 another crap mu. the only reason i like it better than sheik is bcuz he gets ***** after you get a grab. once he's out of control he loses
jiggs is even (marios fsmash *****.) basically fireballs and fsmash...this is easy to me.
peach is either 55/45 or 60 40 i havent played that enough to formulate my opinion
samus is slightly in her favor 55 45

Top Bottom