• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the initial release just a late beta/gamma test?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Remember that most people only bought one Smash and are just patiently waiting for Mewtwo to be released for normal download.

And it seems that Mewtwo retains a lot of problems from Melee: large hitbox, sluggish, impractical moves... But that's probably due to making him a bit more familiar to when we last saw it.

And Mewtwo has no customs and no Palutena's Guidance right now. We know that Mewtwo was supposed to have customs... or is it that he's GOING TO have customs? There's about two weeks between the initial release and the normal release. That could be enough time to make a few balance changes, create the customs, and maybe record the short clip for Palutena's Guidance.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Check the front page.
You mean the glitch where you can select specials that aren't there? I don't think that's really evidence. It could just be the game going through garbage data or something considering the random layout of animations. it certainly doesn't look like it was unfinished at the very least.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Wouldn't be surprised. I consider it very impractical to let the fans wait two weeks for a unchanged character just because they skipped out one game.

The best way to test a game, is in fact, to let actual gamers test the game. Beta testers just can't find stuff on the same level as a world-wide community does.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I think we should petition for Mewtwo to be one of these things:

A) Heavier (Not my favorite because I like the maneuverability he has as a lightweight.)

B) Faster (My personal pick. It makes sense.)

C) Stronger (Wider hitboxes and launching capabilities.)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think we should petition for Mewtwo to be one of these things:

A) Heavier (Not my favorite because I like the maneuverability he has as a lightweight.)

B) Faster (My personal pick. It makes sense.)

C) Stronger (Wider hitboxes and launching capabilities.)
I feel like the following needs to be done for Mewtwo...
  1. Increased weight: Mewtwo weighs 269 lbs., and yet it's the 2nd lightest fighter in Smash 4. If anything, Mewtwo's weight value should've been more around 108, but to keep things balanced, Mewtwo's falling speed would be made slower, and it would still be very floaty and vulnerable to getting Star KO'd.
  2. Improved hitboxes: Mewtwo's strongest attacks just seem to lack a long enough distance to be usable without putting it at risk. The f-smash is an example of this.
  3. Custom specials: We should at least have the option to customize Mewtwo even further than just with equipment.

godogod

Smash Ace
Mewtwo doesn't need to be super heavy. Above 100 would be great though.

also, they should make shadow ball do damage while charging, and reduce the recoil by like jalf. Its ridiculous that he goes back half a final destination in distance, which can gimp his own recovery when shooting a shadowball at enemies who are faced toward the stage

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
it feels that mewtwo is a beta character atm, so I do except a update on 28th there we get the miiverse stage, tourny and updated mewtwo. but I will not have my hopes up

but the thing I want him to be buffed/better in is
  1. his weight is too low. increase his weight just a little bit. I would accept if he is the 4th lightest character instead for the 2nd!

2. some of his moves have unneeded end lag in terms of Power, Speed, angle, range and mobility. UAir is perfect to Smash4 standard if the end lag was much faster, DThrow would be perfect if End Lag was much faster and the same with UTilt

3. SideB should have hitstun so mewtwo can act first!
    I personally know the limitations of command grabs after studying them and hacked them in brawl so its really easy to create a "soul breaking glitch" by mistake and Smash4 is no diffirent. but adding hitstun to that grab shouldn't be that hard

godogod

Smash Ace
i can see how the devs used him as a test worldwide.. I don't think he will be patches in two weeks. Patches take a long time to get through also. Not just the patch itself, but the approval process. Hopefully we will se some buffs in June at least.

btw, smash devs haven't patched speed, or weight, or other attributes relates yet. Mist if the things we want patched, are the Nerf suggestions for top characters..

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Dunno how I feel about a dlc character having less features then everyone else. When it comes to customs everyone will know the cards the mewtwo player is holding. And his light weight gets him killed fast.

If he is lightweight and can get bodied like a heavyweight there is a problem.

And characters having 12 specials each makes him outclassed.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I personally jsut want his Teleport buffed. That ******** aerial end lag is stupid in every way possible.

There's a reason I played Palutena, and that reason was Warp.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So there are some really bad bugs involving Mewtwo and certain modes as well as save data.

Yep, this just confirmed that it is a late beta test.

I actually hope they continue this with Lucas and other DLC characters so that the greater public can receive them while dedicated fans can test for errors and balancing issues.

Johnny Heart Gold

Smash Journeyman
So there are some really bad bugs involving Mewtwo and certain modes as well as save data.

Yep, this just confirmed that it is a late beta test.

I actually hope they continue this with Lucas and other DLC characters so that the greater public can receive them while dedicated fans can test for errors and balancing issues.
Care to explain?

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Well hell. I already went through a few solo modes. I haven't tried online after that, though.

Because really, why would I want to play against other Mewtwos 90% of the time? :v

Mew2Kid

Smash Rookie
One fix I can think of his fixing the way Teleport works. Sometimes if you're near the stage and the area below the grabbable ledge is slanted, when you use Teleport (Up+B), it pushes you away from the ledge and makes you look stupid, and I hate when I do that. I can't be the only one, right?

godogod

Smash Ace
Is it me or is teleport's range in this game less than melee?

Anyway...

List of things devs can (and hopefully) do to buff Mewtwo

-Make Shadowball able to damage other fighters while charging up
-Decrease the recoil distance when shooting a fully charged Shadowball, by half. I know this controversial. Many people claim it gives him more recovery options.. But I think its a double edged sword and it can leave you open. Me personally, I like to shoot a projectile in the air when I'm trying to get back on a stage as it can help me get back succesfully from ledge guarders, and damage the enemies while I'm at it. I throw shoot a shadowball towards an enemy in the air, it only ****s with my recovery and increasing my chances of getting a SD.
-Increase distance of disable by 1.5x, and let it hit enemies from behind at shorter range(like current range)
-increase running speed.. To like equal mario's? Asking to equal to pikachu or charizard isn't gonna happen, though I wish it was above average.
-increase weight speed. Ideally prior to release I wanted him to be above average/over 100.. But sorely dissapointed that his weight dropped down from Melee, which was a bit wtf to everyone. At the very least, I want his weight back to melee, though I'd like him to be close to 100 as possible.
-give forward air a slightly larger hit box. I'm getting a much harder time connecting this than melee version. Must be the angle.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

Anyway...

-Decrease the recoil distance when shooting a fully charged Shadowball, by half. I know this controversial. Many people claim it gives him more recovery options.. But I think its a double edged sword and it can leave you open. Me personally, I like to shoot a projectile in the air when I'm trying to get back on a stage as it can help me get back succesfully from ledge guarders, and damage the enemies while I'm at it. I throw shoot a shadowball towards an enemy in the air, it only ****s with my recovery and increasing my chances of getting a SD.
-Increase distance of disable by 1.5x, and let it hit enemies from behind at shorter range(like current range)
-increase running speed.. To like equal mario's? Asking to equal to pikachu or charizard isn't gonna happen, though I wish it was above average.
-increase weight speed. Ideally prior to release I wanted him to be above average/over 100.. But sorely dissapointed that his weight dropped down from Melee, which was a bit wtf to everyone. At the very least, I want his weight back to melee, though I'd like him to be close to 100 as possible.
-give forward air a slightly larger hit box. I'm getting a much harder time connecting this than melee version. Must be the angle.
Gonna respond to each of these.

-I agree SB should be damaging on contact. Any charge is damaging when you throw it so I don't get the deal.
-I firmly believe recoil is tied to Weight. If Weight isn't changed then this won't either.
-Disable is fine as is. High Risk. High Reward.
-If he is super light he should be really fast. For a Psychic dude. Bend those physics! If he has low defense make up for it in power and "speed".
-See my second comment on weight and Aerial Shadow Ball Recoil
-Hitbox is at his hand on Fair. I do agree hitbox should extend to the visual pinkish slash effect other you miss small targets easily. But learn where the hitbox and is and you won't be missing as often. And apparently Aerial Confusion > Fair is a thing?

godogod

Smash Ace
He was like 10-12 points heavier in melee, but he doesn't have nearly as much recoil as he does now. His distance in this game is half the lengh of final destination in the air!

But realistically speaking from the two patches we've had.. Has Sakurai ever specifically fulfilled our wishes for actually buffing a character? Seems like its pretty random with the slight percentages and end lags and what not. I feel like the only thing he really has actually listened to fans, is nerfing the top tier characters. For this reason, I think a speed or weight change is unlikely.

Last edited:

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117

Anyway...

Aww don't reduce the recoil of shadow ball, that's a unique thing of Mewtwo's charged shot. Has anyone seen FOW play Mewtwo? That man does some sick things, it's magical lol. He recoiled behind his opponent with SB into an F-smash, it was beautiful lol. He also uses pivots, air dodges and teleports to back to the ground, he's all over the place with him, them mind games. Seriously though, FOW says he reckons Mewtwo is somewhere in high tier atm, I'm still not completely sure, but I think he's at least mid tier, but it just feels stupid anyway discussing his tier when his only been out a few days.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Yes. First-timers are always beta-testers (I'm looking at you, Apple Watch) but yeah, I think he will either be tweaked next week with another patch or in June alongside Lucas' relase.

godogod

Smash Ace
Aww don't reduce the recoil of shadow ball, that's a unique thing of Mewtwo's charged shot. Has anyone seen FOW play Mewtwo? That man does some sick things, it's magical lol. He recoiled behind his opponent with SB into an F-smash, it was beautiful lol. He also uses pivots, air dodges and teleports to back to the ground, he's all over the place with him, them mind games. Seriously though, FOW says he reckons Mewtwo is somewhere in high tier atm, I'm still not completely sure, but I think he's at least mid tier, but it just feels stupid anyway discussing his tier when his only been out a few days.
Yes. First-timers are always beta-testers (I'm looking at you, Apple Watch) but yeah, I think he will either be tweaked next week with another patch or in June alongside Lucas' relase.
Balance patch two week after he came out? Lol not gonna happen. June sounds pretty good though.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
I don't know. I think the game had balance patch pretty quickly after the 3DS release. Unless my memory is playing tricks.

againiam

Smash Rookie
It took a lil over a month from release for the 3ds to get patch 1.0.3. It had major balance changes, not all nerfs. Shulk, in fact, got intensely buffed, gaining 1-2% on almost every attack, making his fair have much less landing lag, and making his side smash much easier to hit the beam part with. Little Mac, despite being not that great, got hit by the nerf stick, probably just because people didn't like fighting him. So balancing could really go either way.

If Mewtwo is due for big balance changes, it'll probably be when Lucas finally arrives. That's quite a bit of time for opinions on him to change. I have a feeling he won't go the way of Little Mac though. Personally hope he gets the Shulk treatment!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Anyway...

Sorry, but Fair had a MUCH smaller hitbox in Melee. It was only easier to land because air dodging was bad.

Maybe Mewtwo could have a custom called Jagged Shadow Ball with the exact same trajectory as Melee, complete
with charge damage. Or just give him Aura Sphere for the lulz.

Nobody would object to faster movement, but as his moveset is right now it's more suited to careful
positioning and planning than blitzing. Let's just be thankful Mewtwo now has a useful, disjointed dash attack
that is good at punishing rolls and landings.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Mewtwo needs to bulk up a bit in my opinion. He gets up, and frankly, I don't see him getting back down in very many matches. His awful weight and his floaty nature together are really a nightmare for him. Dies early AND gets juggled all day? Really Sakurai? I can see one, but why both?

I don't know about you guys, but has anyone noticed that his grab seems a bit weird? I find it misses quite often, in situations where it really shouldn't have.

As for a patch for him this week? I highly doubt it. Perhaps when Lucas releases, but I have a hard time believing they'd make any major changes to Mewtwo a bit shy of the two week mark.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Use air dodges and teleport to reposition yourself. You don't need to float back down.

Grab can be weird so grab up close. Consider Mewtwo to have ganon grab range.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Use air dodges and teleport to reposition yourself. You don't need to float back down.

More like Wii Fit trainer grab range. Also don't neglect confusion in repositioning too.

RPK

Smash Lord
I thought he would be like Samus in terms of floatiness and weight. Also I remember reading he's about 500lbs, so considering he's the 2nd lightest in the game is just weird...Anyways, when he officially gets released I'm 100% certain that there is going to be a patch. Maybe not to balance things, but to get rid of the bugs that he has brought to the game, and get those custom moves that he hasn't been given yet. I do wish they would buff him in some ways, like giving his shadowball a hitbox in the back like Lucario's, and reduce the ending lag, and start up on some of his moves. Other than that, I like where he is right now.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368

I would love to use teleport more often, if it wasn't for the fact that he absolutely must float helplessly in one direction before I can move during fre fall.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Two weeks isn't all that long, especially if that includes collecting the data to see what needs to be changed. I would be seriously surprised if this was just a test.

...Though, I am crossing my fingers for future custom moves.
I would love to use teleport more often, if it wasn't for the fact that he absolutely must float helplessly in one direction before I can move during fre fall.
Land directly on the stage or above a platform.
It's tricky to get the hang of it, particularly with floating platforms, but it's pretty awesome when you do.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Free for all is basically sending Mewtwo to die.
Nope. He's pretty agile for his power, meaning it's easy for him to get items. His Shadow Ball does a ton of damage and KOs, and in FFA it's easy to charge in the confusion. With how rare gimps are in FFA, he'll be surviving until his max %. Kill throws are a godsend when everybody just wants to shield the incoming assault.

Mewtwo isn't supposed to get in the thick of things and wreak shizz, but he can if he absolutely needs to. Spam Shadow Ball and keep your distance.

Top Bottom