• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Is the circle pad confusing for anyone?

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
it's confusing for me. it feels really weird and don't know how to get used to it... have you guys gotten used to it yet? The controls are so weird ;~;

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
The circle pad felt weird way back when I first got a 3DS but I've since adjusted to it. I have no issues using it with Smash.

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
The circle pad felt weird way back when I first got a 3DS but I've since adjusted to it. I have no issues using it with Smash.
Yea this is my first 3DS. I never had one before, only a DS lite. I hope I get used to it before the full game comes

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It takes a while but I think I'm used to it now.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
I don't think confusing is the right word, but after a day or two you should get used to it.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
The only confusing thing about the 3DS' circle pad is that Nintendo won't support their second one.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
When I first got my 3DS, my thumb kept sliding off of the circle pad while playing OoT3D, because it's too smooth. After getting used to it, this didn't happen again until I got to a certain boss fight in Luigi's Mansion a while later. My fingers don't get sweaty or anything, but something about games where you just push in one direction for a long time made me push off of it.

As for SSB, I literally jumped right in and felt no different from playing on a console outside of the buttons.

I found the buttons more confusing, because, like most, I used Gamecube controller for Brawl (and later the VC version of SSB64, having no problem adapting to changing from the N64 controls aside from getting used to having a Side+B). So the "Classic Controller" button placement is extremely foreign to me.

Now I have no problem with the placement, but I am still probably going to change it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There is nothing confusing about the circle pad. People find the weirdest things to complain about.

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
It's a pad that moves around in a circle.. not exactly rocket science going in there. So no the little bugger works totally fine for me

Spirst

No, never found it confusing. As someone who uses the GCC, button placement is screwy. Also, I'm left-handed, so the demo controls feel pretty ehh but it's an easy fix when the full game arrives.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
My 3DS is confusing. Sometimes i put it in the toaster and I don't remember why. It's like... how do these things work!!!

djKun

Smash Rookie
It took me a couple minutes to adjust to the controls on the 3DS. No issues thereafter.

The only reason I'm comfortable with the buttons is because I play Project M with a PS3 controller via dolphin.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I'm having trouble doing turnaround up-B recoveries every once in a while, but besides that the gameplay has been great on the 3DS. My friends complain of hand cramps, but I guess I play too much 3DS for that to happen to me. :p

Hitzel

Smash Ace
My only complaint so far is that it's hard to do tilts consistently. I feel like I'm barely moving the pad, but a Smash or tap jump will come out. This is especially true for uptilts. I'm trying to get used to releasing the CP and touching it barely to tilt, but that's not something I need to do with a joystick at all.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
I have some trouble doing some of link's tilts but I am getting used to it, feeling like I am in more control.

I think it just takes a few hours of play to get used to it.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Not confusing. It is just much less ideal than a GCN controller or even Wii U pro controller.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's odd (I also haven't gotten used to it since I used the Dpad for FE Awakening), but manageable. The only consistent issue now is that I can't kill TapJump in the demo.

I'm just glad I was raised on a SNES so I don't have to relearn the button configuration.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can understand weird to move, but how is it confusing? The control stick is to the left of the bottom touch screen, which the little pad moves up to the larger circumference of the circle engraved and shaped beneath the pad. I think you're using the wrong choice of words for what you're trying to say.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I wouldn't say its confusing. More like, unique. Its not really the most ideal thing for Smash, but it works good enough.

Dratnell

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dratnell-92
3DS FC
4270-2473-1284
I adjusted fine after only a few games. It feels perfect to me, even after YEARS of GC controller use. The circle pad is a bit on the slippery side, but it's not impossible to play or play well. Just requires a bit of adapting. The only complaint for me is the lack of :GCCN:. It''s a total bummer CPP isn't supported.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Need to social media campaign the hell out of them until they patch that support in.

The only issues I've had with the circle pad while playing smash is trying to SHFFFair or Bair usually results in me just doing a SHFFNair, and sometimes I'll SHDair when I mean to QC dash attack. I'll also sometimes not FF at all when I mean to. The first two might just be me flicking the pad around too softly or too violently, and the second one is probably just me not getting down my character's SH peak time. Other than that its brety gud i give it 9/10

Beastferu

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendaryPhrax
3DS FC
3351-4134-0653
I dunno. Apparently, I press in the wrong direction with Pikachu sometimes when I'm certain I'm not.

Top Bottom